My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always like to report to the group when I acquire a different (to me at least) LB. The 8155 qualifies as different, to say the least.

1. I kind of like the larger wheels in front. It seems to make the mower smoother when traversing uneven ground.
2. The 20 inch width doesn't bother me. I'm sure the 20 inch blades are harder to come by. I also like the fact that there's nothing sticking out on either side so it can get in tighter spaces.
3. The muffler on top of the deck lends a different sound to the F's exhaust note. I know now why Duraforces sound dirtbikey. The F does too although not as pronounced as the DF's sound.
4. The bag mounting system is superbly engineered although the bag seems to be smallish in capacity.

Overall, I'm pleased with the Bus.

Charlie

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Doesn't that above-deck muffler give it a cool sound? I like it, though it certainly is different. I also like the full size wheels in the front. It does roll nice.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound cool, especially with the BBC disengaged.

One more thing; I would imagine the BBC F's have a different than standard flywheel to provide greater inertia so it's possible to run smoothly without the blade in motion.

I think I might engineer a handlebar zone start for it, come to think of it. I wouldn't be all that difficult. That way, the primer, key switch, and yanker would all be in the same general vicinity.

Charlie

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I'd imigine that a handlebar primer mount would bolt right up, as well as the rope guide. Just have to locate both, unless you already have them... I have the non BBC version of your machine, though running when I bought it I'm not about to use it in the condition it's in. It of course has both primer and rope on the handle. No switch on mine of course, tho I'd rather have that than the clumsey bail.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Mine doesn't even have a primer. Seems random how some L-B Fs have primers and some don't.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has both the primer and keyswitch up top. Jason, if yours doesn't have a primer at all, count yourself lucky. That means you have a metal Walbro carb with a choke. Far superior to the plastic carbs.

Charlie

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
That's kinda goofy they put the primer on the handle but not the rope? I figured since it's a BBC all of that was on the engine.

I have yet to run across an F engine without a primer. I know there are some on Commercial models with the metal walboro carb that have a choke, but I didn't know there was resi models that also used them... I've really not had that bad of luck with the plastic carbs... I mean they are 20, 30 + years old and still work fine... Can't really knock them to hard! I was suprised to find a plastic carb on my '98 duraforce gold though, I figured Toro would have put an end to the plastic carb long before that...

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Mine has both the primer and keyswitch up top. Jason, if yours doesn't have a primer at all, count yourself lucky. That means you have a metal Walbro carb with a choke. Far superior to the plastic carbs.
It's definitely a metal Walbro. I didn't know they were that "exclusive". Good to know!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have yet to run across an F engine without a primer. I know there are some on Commercial models with the metal walboro carb that have a choke, but I didn't know there was resi models that also used them...
My 10515 and 8243ae do not have a primer either.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The metal Walbros are better than the plastic modulars for the simple reason that they don't warp at the mount flange. I have several plastic carbs that have warped. I have seen metal Walbros with both a choke and primer, with the primer attaching to nipple on the bottom nut of the float bowl, but I've never seen a plastic carb with a choke. Not to say they don't exist, just I've never seen one.

The Walbros weren't exclusive to commercial models either. My 7351 (residential) had a Walbro and my 6430 Suburban (commercial style) had a plastic carb.

The one down side with the Walbros is that they require a throttle cable - there's no gov. spring preload flip lever.

Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts