My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tackled my first engine rebuild with mixed results and have a few questions that I'm sure you guys can help with. This is an F series. First off, the mower bogs down with much less resistance that expected, like 5 or 6" grass. Since I just replaced the piston, rings, and seals I would deduce that the carb needs adjusted and/or rebuilt. Do you guys agree?

Secondly, is there an easy way to adjust the carb without taking the gas tank off? I thought about buying a long piece of fuel line and elevating the tank somehow to allow access to the adjustment screw. How do you fellas usually tackle this?

Last, is there a way to know what rpms I'm running without buying a tach? I would like to have one but don't want to shell out 40-50 bucks on it since I won't be using it all that much. Is there a way to check it with a timing light? The engine sounds to me like it's running fast enough, but, all of my 2 cycle LBs came from people who hadn't used them in years and I don't really have any experience with a known good example to go by.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
have a pic?
if its the older modular carb, probably has the hex adjuster, those are a bit of a pain to dial in,
it only has 1 adjust screw on the side, try running full throttle&slowly turn the screw in till the motor wants to die, then back it off til it runs smooth,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the hex screw on the top. Does this mean that that's the only adjustment point other than the float level?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
what's your model#?
i will try to find any info i can to help ya,
i'm sure some of the other members in here have insight into this as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what's your model#?
i will try to find any info i can to help ya,
i'm sure some of the other members in here have insight into this as well
This engine came from an 8291. The blade clutch assembly was missing when I got it so I swapped the crank, deck plate, and exhaust from another engine when doing the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts

·
Lawn Boy
1,561 Posts
Bassman, I'd say absolutely the carb needs a good twiddling.

If you just rebuilt the engine, bear in mind that over the years the carb has been adjusted and messed with many times over the years to compensate for engine wear and countless other variables. Give the carb a little love too -- at the very least a good "take it apart and clean it and put it back together" session!

By the way... welcome. No "noobs" here. You're not one if you care enough to ask good questions like that. You found a good place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts