My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a Cub Scout camp out with my son and wife who's a den leader. Still recovering from severe lack of sleep!

Anyways, we went on a hike. The grass has started growing in the area, and the under story trees have begun to bloom.

As I sat down near the creek, I saw 4 different kinds of wildflowers that had poked up from under the dead leaves. Unfortunately, my camera battery had expired. Oh I had a backup battery, but it didn't do me any good, beings it was in the camera bag back at camp. :fing20: I did get some pictures of some moss growing on the creek bed. Here's a few pics from the creek bed we traversed on the hike:

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
That looks like fun Mow. My Boss also took his boy on a campout last night with the Cub Scouts. He was not looking forward to it at all hes not the out door type ROF

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, I like the outdoors, but I'm more comfortable sleeping in my own bed!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My last boyscout outing with my son was over the winter. Build shelters out of tree limbs & snow. Built a huge fire & slept in our shelters.

I woke up at about 3:00am freezing. Temps on that calm clear night went down to about -15 degrees. I worried about my son. Went over to his shelter & woke him up. He was warm & fine. I went back to mine and pretty much stayed awake for the rest of the night worring about the two of us freezing to death and not waking up.

That was last winter - Jan 2004. This year my son decided to drop out of scouts. I feel safer now.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,769 Posts
Keweenaw4310 said:
I woke up at about 3:00am freezing. Temps on that calm clear night went down to about -15 degrees.

tom that does not sound like fun....

good pics mow

·
Anything With Wheels
9,845 Posts
My son did that also...I think it is the Polar Merit Badge they are trying to earn...that was a few......:D quite a few years ago :D the only difference when we did it is that I slept in a warm cabin ROF

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I had the option of using a small wooden building with a portable heater, but I figured if my son was outside, I'd wanted to sleep under the same conditions.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,845 Posts
Keweenaw4310 said:
I had the option of using a small wooden building with a portable heater, but I figured if my son was outside, I'd wanted to sleep under the same conditions.
I had that option too....I figured it was his merit badge. ROF

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I can remember as a boy scout many winter jambories which we as in each patrol had to make sleds to haul in your equipment such as heavy 2 man canvas tents (4) plus cooking and fire making tools and food. the adults were the same as today.. some stay warm others freeze their _____ off and as always kids are fine....shame kewee that your son left the scouts as having been a scout and also was involved in the district I find that the kids involved are some of the finest young people as they mature later in life as the experience has left it's mark as it was designed to do...

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
MowHoward2210 said:
Went on a Cub Scout camp out with my son and wife who's a den leader. Still recovering from severe lack of sleep!

Anyways, we went on a hike.
Mow, when's the next hike and camp out ROF Springtime, it's kind of like a fresh start every year for me as I work in the out of doors here in sunny fla and we are in full bloom as I sit here responding to your camping experience and now want to go camping....hmmmm could be for therapeutic purposes.... ROF

ps. Mow, just love the sweat band....... did you take it hiking :D

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, Ernie! I'll have come up with a wearable sweat band. But first I'll have to clear it with CatDaddy as I "borrowed" the grass background of the MTF logo he did for the color. Hopefully the royalties won't be too stiff!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts