My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post some old pics of projects I've made. I miss my old shop! :(

First pic is of me testing out my new forge. I made the forge from scrap metal from my mini-junk yard. I used an old John Deere tractor wheel hub as the base along with a car brake rotor to cover the axle hub hole. I welded a pipe onto the rotor as a post, then the blower and firepot are cantilevered off this post with more pipe that carries the air flow created by the blower. The firepot is made out of an old plow disc. The whole assembly is very stable due to the weight of the tractor hub.

Second pic is of a plant hanger.

Third pic: Decided to make a new mounting plate for my bench vise that could be pulled away from the bench and rotated / locked in different positions. I drilled three sets of holes along the base pipe, so that the vise pipe can be slid in and out to different lengths. This will be great for turning the part you're working / welding on without releasing it from the vise. Welded a large nut on top of a hole drilled in to the base pipe, then welded a "T" handle onto a bolt for a quick lock. I'll use this to position the part during welding and use the lock pin when bending metal or heavy work.

After building it decided the bottom of the vise mount would be a great place to mount a small anvil made from a railroad rail. Great for pounding on light work at the bench!

Fourth pic is of a wine bottle holder I made for a gift.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,567 Posts
Nice work, like the vise idea and the anvil under it. I'd like to take a Blacksmith class some time. One of the local Community Colleges offers it in the Summer. Looks like fun! Take care...

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kbeitz,

Thanks and the site you posted, looks like I'll be lost in there for a couple of days! :trink40:

BOSOX,

Thanks!
I took a welding course in High School. Started researching online and reading everything I could get my hands on about metal working / Blacksmithing. I'm self taught and most of my forging equipment is home made.

Make yourself a simple brake drum forge with and old hair dryer (heating elements removed) for an air source. you do not need expensive tools to start, a few different sized hammers, medium-large bench vice, tongs (large channel locks), and a heavy piece of steel I-beam (12' long). I used the cheapest BBQ charcoal when I first started, when you get going good then you can get the good coal and tools as needed.

Find a bunch of free scrap steel and pound away! :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's an anvil stand I made for a cheap anvil the company sent out to one of our work sites. Got tired of laughing at the guys chasing it around in the gravel trying to use it!

It's 2X6s nailed together and then banded with heavy duty steel straps from shipping crates. Mounted the 2X6 post onto a 1" plywood base.

It's not fancy but does the job! :trink39:

Attachments

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
That's cool stuff SandDawg, nice work for sure. I always wanted to build a small forge, great idea! I like you anvil stand in the field, very resourceful.:thThumbsU

And Kbeitz , :eek:mg::eck21:

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your into my kind of work...
Did you ever see an anvil table.
I think I got the only one.
Now that's one solid table!

I've got a Jig table that's made from an old airport tractor tug (used to pull aircraft and luggage carts). It's the front counter weight / radiator guard off the tug. Welded I-beams onto it for legs, takes 4 people to move it safely. I like it cause of all the 1 inch holes for the radiator, makes a great bending jig! Just drop a couple of pins (1 inch round stock with a flat washer welded 2 inches from the end) down into a hole and you have a scroll bender!

Wish I could find a picture of it. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's cool stuff SandDawg, nice work for sure. I always wanted to build a small forge, great idea! I like you anvil stand in the field, very resourceful.:thThumbsU
Thanks!

Wish I could find some of my old pics to post!

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a shield I made of a friend's family coat of arms.

First pic is of the family Crest.
Second pic is of the flat plate cut out parts.
Third pic is of the assembled shield, all parts have been hand formed on stakes.
Fourth pic is of the completed shield.

Turned out very well, especially since that was my first try at making Medieval Armour!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found another pic of the scroll work stove hood I made for my wife. Sadly I had to leave it at the old house when we bought the new one.

It's steel plate I cut out into a scroll pattern with a plasma cutter, welded it into a angle iron frame and backed the scroll work plate up with aluminum sheet metal painted to look like old copper.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice work . Are you from S.C. , my son lives in Fort Mill .

Mike
Thanks Mike!

I live about three and a half hours from your son, my home is near Myrtle Beach, SC. I'm living overseas at this time. One of these days I'll be back home and can play in my shop again! :thThumbsU

Have a GREAT day!!

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like your work...
Do you have one of these ???
THANKS!

Yup I have one of those but it's the economy model, I'll be getting a heavy duty model like yours one of these years!:thThumbsU

As you can see it makes a great electrical cord hanger also!:trink39:

Attachments

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Im building a rod twister now.
I'm using two four jaw lathe chucks.
It's also going to be electric powered.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im building a rod twister now.
I'm using two four jaw lathe chucks.
It's also going to be electric powered.

Seen a video of someone who made a picket twister out of lathe chucks and a transmission from a lawn mower, driven by an electric motor. He was able to go forward and reverse quickly by switching gears (1st gear and reverse gear). He was making some very good looking twists and counter twists using heavy square stock and oxy/act. torch with a rose bud tip. Controled the twist with the amount of heat from the torch. He had it set up so he had a long slide table and could do 12" to several feet long pickets.

I've always done square stock twists the old fashion way....vice and a pipe wrench! :dunno:

Post pics when you are finished making the stock twister. :fing32:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,699 Posts
I know a guy into metal fabbing that used a old chevy 3 speed tranny to twist wrought iron sqaure stock ,he mounted it on a heavy bench,made a hand crank for the input shaft and a "chuck" that slides into the tailshaft out of an old u-joint yoke to accept different sizes of square stock.....in first gear ,its amazingly easy to twist solid squre stock up to 1" thick with it!..

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know a guy into metal fabbing that used a old chevy 3 speed tranny to twist wrought iron sqaure stock ,he mounted it on a heavy bench,made a hand crank for the input shaft and a "chuck" that slides into the tailshaft out of an old u-joint yoke to accept different sizes of square stock.....in first gear ,its amazingly easy to twist solid squre stock up to 1" thick with it!..

Smart! Very smart idea! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thought I'd post some old pics of projects I've made. I miss my old shop! :(

First pic is of me testing out my new forge. I made the forge from scrap metal from my mini-junk yard. I used an old John Deere tractor wheel hub as the base along with a car brake rotor to cover the axle hub hole. I welded a pipe onto the rotor as a post, then the blower and firepot are cantilevered off this post with more pipe that carries the air flow created by the blower. The firepot is made out of an old plow disc. The whole assembly is very stable due to the weight of the tractor hub.

Second pic is of a plant hanger.

Third pic: Decided to make a new mounting plate for my bench vise that could be pulled away from the bench and rotated / locked in different positions. I drilled three sets of holes along the base pipe, so that the vise pipe can be slid in and out to different lengths. This will be great for turning the part you're working / welding on without releasing it from the vise. Welded a large nut on top of a hole drilled in to the base pipe, then welded a "T" handle onto a bolt for a quick lock. I'll use this to position the part during welding and use the lock pin when bending metal or heavy work.

After building it decided the bottom of the vise mount would be a great place to mount a small anvil made from a railroad rail. Great for pounding on light work at the bench!

Fourth pic is of a wine bottle holder I made for a gift.

Enjoy the pics!
Great idea for the vice extension. I've got my vice mounted on a stand that I bolted to the concrete floor close to the wall to save floor space but too close for some work, this could be my way out. I see you're in Afganistan so it's probably not a good time to get some more photos of it out of you, besides you've probably got bigger things to worry about. Here's hoping you and all the rest of the good guys get out of there sooner than later. My weekend helper already enlisted in the Marines and as soon as he is out of High School he might be coming to help, he was only seven when this whole thing started.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts