My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I’m new here. I’ve never been part of any forums so im not sure im posting in the right place. I went to check out a older simplicity tractor with agco/all is 25 branding and im wondering if it’s a good buy. The tractor looks to be in very good condition and very well kept and maintained. It has little over 1000 hours on it and the owner wants $1200 for it. It looks like a great machine and it makes my cub 2130 look like a toy. I bought my first house 3 years ago so I don’t have a lot of experience with mowing equipment . I just saw a guy down the street selling his old cub for 200$ and I figured it beats push mowing an acre ! My yard is pretty rough on some parts with obstacles(rocks and trees), so I think the 60” deck might be overkill . But I have been breaking up the big boulders and pulling up other rocks and clearing the brush and turning into lawn little by little. I don’t know if I can put a small FEL on the legacy or maybe a Johnny bucket would work (not sure if it’s up to the task). But other than mowing, light hauling, and moving snow there’s not much else I think I’d need to do( for now, at least). Thank you for your time and hopefully someone can give me some thoughts and opinions!

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
Hi Slayersley and

I am a Simplicity fan and recently sold my Legacy 25 with a factory FEL.....I would caution you regarding the tilt steering and the power steering in general....it is really sloppy and the tilt steering is prone to breaking....I wanted to love that tractor, but it was burning about 4-5 gallons of gas an hour...and aside the expense of fuel...it was just a pain in the neck to have to store that much gas and stop every hour to fuel it up...it was a bit of a beast..that 60 inch mowing deck weighs 245 pounds...I forget how much the snow blower weighed........if you need a mower and you have a big yard..over 2 acres ..it is probably worth it...if you do buy it send me a PM and I will send you manuals and other literature I have on it

These are broken teeth on the tilt steering

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for feedback! Honestly it’s probably more than I need for my yard. But seeing on Craigslist cheaper lawn tractors going for $1000 this seemed like a really good deal. Do you think the price seems ok? I figured if it’s too cumbersome to cut my lawn with I can always leave it out with a sign and at least make my money back. Again I don’t know much about garden tractors but it sure is a tank compared to my small cub. That’s a really nice looking tractor btw! Sure is a beauty

·
Registered
01-03 Legacy
64 Posts
I entered the world of riding tractors, completely ignorant, last spring with the purchase of an ’03ish Legacy/23 Kohler/47“ 2 stage snowblower/54” deck. Technically, I have no need for such a machine with 3/4 suburban acre yard, sizable driveway and few sidewalks but I wanted a hydro machine and controls, especially since I bought this due to the loss of a leg & half a pelvis,

My observation is that accessories are somewhat scarce, at least in New England/Mid Atlantic but they do come up occasionally. Your finding a snowblower can happen but from what I see, you will pay dearly. That said, in @ $1200 starts you in a decent position if it is a decent machine, a 2 stage snowblower will double or a little more your investment. I THINK there is a single stage snowblower available and they seem to be cheaper.

From what I observe the only common issue is steering wander caused by any combo of 1 or more things. Mine wanders a bit but I think (happily) it is simply some bushing wear on the tie rod/spindle connection. Otherwise they seem to be dependable, reliable machines. The Kohler engine is the thirstiest thing I’ve seen and I’m a die hard big block Chevy and Olds guy from way back.

I am very happy with mine but have no comparisons to make. It starts, runs, drives, blows snow and cuts grass like a dream. I enjoy it every time I use it. Yesterday, this one legged guy with more drive than brains trimmed 100’ of privet hedge 7-8’ tall by doing the flamingo on the foot boards with a gas pole trimmer, I was tired but it actually came out pretty nice!

There are some really experienced guys on the sight and hopefully they can give you more info than I can, with the bonus of a wider knowledge of alternatives.

EDIT. As I hit enter I saw that Mark had already posted up. Funny how we had the same observations! He knows infinitely more than me and is always universally helpful, I know he has been with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. After some thought last night I decided I’m not gonna be buying. It sure looks like a great machine but i believe it’s too much for my lawn as it is now. I think a small subcompact with loader would be better for me as it could help me move some dirt and do some grading also help me clear some of the land . Thank you both for taking the time to answer!

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,492 Posts
Legacy's are a bargain for what they can do. I have found that attachments are pretty plentiful, and relatively inexpensive now in the midwest. I have had a hard time fetching more than $500-600 from spare 2 stage blowers. Even my hard glass cabs I had and sold struggeld to fetch a grand. Loaders...$1200-1500.

The Kohler Command's are thirsty, but I never approached anywhere near 4 gallons per hour using any of mine, and I have had several. I could run a broom or blower for an hour, the most demanding work I ever used one for, and may have used 2 gallons of gas. The used parts market is pretty plentiful these days as well, and the troublesome tilt steering can be remedied by simply replacing the mechanism. I found that the same tilt is used commonly in maring applications, and so there are new and used options out there that can replace a complete column failure for around $100. The power steering valve on these seems to fail far less often than the newer type used on the Legacy XL's, and again, are much more easily found, used. The biggest concern I have had with them is the front axle and spindles. They are most often neglected and worn, and that creates slop. If one feels tight, keep it lubed and it will last you a very long time. If it's sloppy, then plan on a time consuming, but inexpensive rebuild.

For the money spent on these, there are standard features that just make them a joy to operate, and more comfortable than other machines. The 60" deck is the best trimming/edging deck I have ever used, and I have owned nearly ever size simplicity has offered since the late 50's. Becuase it is so wide, and becuase the legacy turns so well, the operator has a fantastic view and excellent control of getting very close to obstacles. The deck avoids scalping well and you do not miss spots and leave cornrows, like you can with a smaller deck.

You will certianly not find a subcompact as comfortable to operate, and the prices are apples and oranges. That said, the Legacy really shines with a 3pt hitch, and those are fairly scarce, whereas they are standard on the SCUTs.

For $1200, I think you face nearly 0 risk in trying it. The AGCO branding helps resale as well, as they are less common and folks are drawn to the Allis name. If it happens to be a diesel, then please just send me the details =]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I’m so on the fence it’s hard. I think you are right though. I’ll give it some more thought . Wife might kill me but it will be worth it haha. I guess really there isn’t much risk because I’m sure I can sell it again if it comes down to it . Like I said I’ve seen machines that are pretty much toys compared to that sel for $1000

·
Registered
533 Posts
Excellent post Taintedmrgreen!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have never seen a Legacy use that kind of fuel even when working the bucket pretty hard!! I'm guessing that unit was extremely rich and needed carb work. If it's a decent unit, that's a $2000 unit all day long here...or more!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder how hard it would be to find a FEL for it? I don’t know nearly anything about hydraulics . Like does it just fit or you need to modify it. If he’s still got it by Saturday I might bring it home

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,492 Posts
If you look consistently, and especially if you are willing to travel, they are not that hard to find. Without looking specifically for one I have probably seen a dozen or so this year on facebook marketplace, most on tractors, but probably half sold independent of one. Location plays a bit part of it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I like mine. I paid $2500 for everything with it but I've put another $600ish in parts into it. I'm getting ready to drop $200 for the front axle pivot upgrade as mine is sloppy. The deal was I couldn't even touch a comparable JD 4x5 package for less than $4-5K. So I figure that I still got a good deal. Heck I was towing whole 25ft pine across my yard the other day with it. They are strong machines and easy to fix. If you can get into a Kawasaki machine they aren't as thirsty. Mine only uses about 2gal per hour if not a bit less. Just like anything else if you take care of them they'll take care of you. Honestly the only way I'd get rid of mine is to get a Massey GC1700 series or something on that order.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was a legacy man for years, and doubt you will find a tractor with a loader for cheap. I sold my last legacy with a Kawasaki pretty well worn and lose a couple years ago and got $1500.00 for it with a single stage blower. Buy the legacy and rent a tractor with a loader. I don't feel the legacy is stout enough tractor for a loader, but that's my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
It really does depend on where you are...Simplicities are just not as popular here as they are in the midwest...they are hard to find....I got mine with the factory loader about 400 miles away ..it was up near Niagara Falls...I paid about 1800 for it, but it needed battery and front tires (prior owner put them on backwards and the struts wore through the walls)..it had about 1100 hours on it...I actually think my older Sunstar 20 was a much better tractor and except for the hand controls, better suited for a loader

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys thanks all for the insight and replies. I did pick it up today. I just got rear ended pretty bad a few days ago and punched some wires so my connection for trailer lights aren’t working and tractor supply didn’t wanna rent out a trailer to me. I drove about 1.5 miles to a friends house that lived close by haha. I mowed his yard with it and I was amazed by how agile it is. Definitely a capable machine. But the first thing I noticed is what you guys mentioned about the steering, it feels really funky or loose not sure what the word is. Sounds like it needs a tune up as well as it may have been sitting for a bit. I can’t wait to bring this baby home and cut my grass with it!

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
Best of luck with it...pull back the boot underneath the steering wheel and check out those teeth on the gear...if they are broken, you can stick something like a cut off drill bit or an allen key ( some hard steel) to help keep it where it belongs, which will help a bit
2511665[/ATTACH]
@Flannelman.Go for it...I did and love my 1723E...you will be surprised how affordable it is...and how little fuel it uses

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,825 Posts
Best of luck with it...pull back the boot underneath the steering wheel and check out those teeth on the gear...if they are broken, you can stick something like a cut off drill bit or an allen key ( some hard steel) to help keep it where it belongs, which will help a bit
Easier to just go to HW store and get a roll pin. I did that for my MF 2823 which was made by Simplicity and has the exact same steering setup. Of course mine had a number of teeth gone but the setting I needed was still there and not broken. The problem with that design is that a lot of folks use the steering wheel as a grab bar to pull themselves up ontop the tractor. That produces a lot of strain to that tilt system... and the replacement part, which was still available couple yrs ago, was very pricey at $425. But most places show it NLA.
A couple of adjustable band clamps
have been known to lock the tilt into position if the sticker shock on the new unit is too much, that is if you could find one. Oh yeah, while you're under that tilt steering boot, might want to give a thought to lubricating it some. That is usually a forgotten place and a bit of lithium goes a long ways.
MikeC
MikeC

·
Registered
225 Posts
@Flannelman.Go for it...I did and love my 1723E...you will be surprised how affordable it is...and how little fuel it uses
Right now I don't have the space for it and the missus is getting her Kitchen upgraded. Maybe in the future but for now The Legacy will be the weapon of choice.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys sorry to get back to you late. Got a couple mows in the 2025. It’s been really great. I like being able to mow in reverse as my other lawn tractor doesn’t have that option and the power steering is great for maneuvering around the large boulders in my backyard. It is a really loud tractor, not sure if that’s how it is or if something is up. I keep looking for attachments but I can’t find anything at all. A snow/dozer blade would be great to start but I really can’t seem to find anything? I’m in dutchess county NY not sure where you guys are all from but if you see anything let me know please! Again thanks for all the helpful insight

1 - 20 of 29 Posts