My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you out there have the P218 upgrade engine that the shaft from the B43 needed some type of spacers on it. Mine had some 1/2 inch spacers on it when I got it but they didn't really put the PTO shaft on the pump end too far. I got that solved today!! Just have to install this on the tractor this weekend. For those that want to know it was $60.00 but I've been developing some vibration because the shaft end is getting worn. This is $60.00 of insurance that it doesn't go flying off and wreaking havoc! Had the local machine shop crank this out for me and it is precise, the last picture shows it holding onto the flange without bolts!

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That is some great machine work.

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this guy has three CNC machines in his shop, several lathes, drill presses, etc.... And it's an easy walk from my house! If anyone else wants one just PM me, I'm sure he'll make more!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
What was the original spacer used by JD on the replacements? I wonder why they would not have replaced the B43 driveshaft with the P218G?

My neighbor has a P218G replacement in his 1986 318. I'll mention to him to be mindful of any vibration.

Maybe you should post up the specs for this and have it included as a sticky in the sticky folder. Add your machinist's contact info too.

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too sure if what I have was orginal or not for the replacement engine. I have 4 1/2 bolt collars that fit between the engine and the PTO shaft and stand it off the flywheel face. I've seen adapters on eBay that look more like the one I had made but hard to tell if that was original JD.

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I was never too thrilled with it either but noticed no problems until recently. I stopped the tractor the other day when it was vibrating, pulled the belly screen and reached up to see if the bolts were loose at the flange and it was the other end that did all the moving!

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the new spacer mounted today and no more vibration! When I grabbed the shaft before I removed the engine it had play in it. After mounting and replacing engine, no play! That spacer was 1 1/4 inch and it worked but I would probably do 1 inch if it had to be done again. There was no room left when engine went into the frame holes at the front!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts