My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an auger on a three point hitch that has a solid PTO shaft. I've never seen this on others, all had a sliding 2 piece shaft. Is this OK? It seems that the pto shaft has to change length as the auger is raised and lowered.
Any comments are welcome.
Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you sure its solid. I recently bought a used chipper and thought the shaft was solid until I looked inside the shaft with a flashlight. It was simply rusted so I soaked it for a week in liquid wrench and rigged a puller with a long socket attached to a long extension and pulled it apart. I then was able to cut to the proper length for my tractor and sand off the rust and grease everything. I hope this helps you.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
You are correct, the PTO shaft has to change length on any attachment raised and lowered by the three point hitch. While you could design something that could use a fixed length shaft, it would involve making other components move, and would thus be more complex (read expensive) and thus not normally done, especially on commercial equipment. I'll add my vote to the shaft being stuck, or possibly mis-assembled by someone with no idea what they were doing. I'll be interested in seeing pictures of the parts in question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just took another look at the auger assembly and the PTO shaft is in 2 pieces. I tried sliding them by hand without success. I'll talk to the owner to try to learn more before I buy it.
Thank you for your replies.
Tom

·
Registered
485 Posts
I suspect a good, complete clean up of the telescoping parts of the PTO shaft and the mounting splines is in order.

The old Speeco unit I bought last year needed a LOT of TLC to clean the dirt, rust etc out of the nooks and crannies. That is most of what made it a bargain price. Cleaned up, greased, oil change in the gear box, new cutting edges on the augers and it is good to go. Very little extra $, and a lot of elbow grease in the process saved a bunch of cash over new price.

Little green and yellow paint and it doesn't look 1/2 bad.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.