My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Daryl G
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in obtaining new solid core spark plug wires for use on magneto-equipped machines. Based on a quick visual examination, it is almost a certainty that the plug wires that currently reside on three of my machines are probably the original plug wires while the fourth machine appears to have inherited the carbon core wire type during some phase of its life. Has anyone here purchased solid core spark plug wires for their Gravely at their local automotive supply shop? Before anyone jumps on this, yes, I have looked at some of the Gravely parts suppliers and see that these are available but I am curious if the same type can be had locally (and, of course, CHEAPER!!!).

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Homepage of GTGRAVELYPARTS sells ready made solid wire, spark plug wires. Unless you plan to make about a dozen spark plug wires, their's is a good deal.

A good auto parts store can find ready made wire kits, six or eight cylinder, that is, ready made on the spark plug end, but unfinished on the magneto or distributor end.

Roger,

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you don't mind the color you can make GREAT spark plug wires out of plain old
Orange or Yellow or Black if you can find it round of course 120v extension cords.
They stand up to heat very well I had a 68 Plymouth Roadrunner that had headers and kept melting the plug wires and an old mechanic told me about this.
I made a full set out of a Yellow extension cord and they were on it when I sold it a couple years later. They are a little stiff in cold weather but they have 3 copper wires inside instead of just 1 like Solid Core plug wires.
The downside was the AM FM Radio on the 8 track stereo sounded terrible when the engine was running. But for lawn and garden applications they are great.
You just have to be careful if re using your old wire ends and not mess them up when removing them from the old wires and when re crimping them to the new ones.
TM

·
Daryl G
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...If you don't mind the color you can make GREAT spark plug wires out of plain old
Orange or Yellow or Black if you can find it round of course 120v extension cords.
travlin-man,
That is an interesting approach. Unfortunately, my wife made be get rid of my frayed extension cords (she was citing safety concerns and such:tango_face_wink:). I, on the other hand, had purposely saved these as I may have a use one day for them... but into the trash they went when we sold our home last November.

Homepage of GTGRAVELYPARTS sells ready made solid wire, spark plug wires. Unless you plan to make about a dozen spark plug wires, their's is a good deal.

A good auto parts store can find ready made wire kits, six or eight cylinder, that is, ready made on the spark plug end, but unfinished on the magneto or distributor end.

Roger,
Roger,
That is exactly what I did this afternoon (in regards to the second recommendation). I went to the old auto parts store and bought a DIY kit for a four cylinder with copper wire! This set me back a total of $9.58 - (I can do all four machines now for the cost of one wire if I had to purchase it). The wire diameter is 7mm which hopefully is right for this application (I did get three donor 8mm wires from a gentleman that works with my younger brother just-in-case)

·
Registered
433 Posts
NAPA
7MM wire # 734803
spark plug terminal # 727006
spark plug boot # 727402
mag terminal # 727402
mag terminal (repair) # 727008
mag nipple #727302
You will also need a good crimper. Most cheap wire strippers have a 7MM crimper but it only rounds the "flag" of the terminal on the wire. Better crimpers fold the "flag" to grip the insulation. Be sure to install the nipple on the mag side before the terminal. On the spark plug side install the boot after. Some silicon spray or dish soap helps
I solder the wire to the the repair terminal. The others, strip the insulation fold back on the wire, and place opposite the open end before crimping
Todd

·
Daryl G
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Todd,
I stopped by to see my younger brother yesterday before going to the auto parts store. He is a mechanic and has has all sorts of tools (the Snap-On folks love him!). He has a really nice crimper that was made specifically for plug wires and was kind enough to loan it to me. I will get those four spark plug wires made up this weekend. Soldering the wire, as you suggested, will be followed here - it makes really good sense.

Thanks for posting the information regarding the parts and part numbers required for fabbing up your own wires. Although it is too late for me, it may help others who have the same question and stumble across this thread.

·
Registered
128 Posts
These people advertise over at the SmokStak site:

Lee W. Pederson
The Brillman Co. (I have bought from them)
McDonald Carb and Ignition (Bought from them too)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts