My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this forum because I was searching that specific problem with my JD and a I found a huge discussion regarding a schematic to install a relay to help the mower start. I am having the problem now and I found the schematic I just need to know if there is a specific part # or kind of relay I need to buy so I can try this on my mower. Also I will probably need some wire because I dont have any laying around in the garage so what size and how much would I need to get? I couldnt find that specific thread so I created a new one. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
All your questions should be answered here.

:MTF_wel: and :wwp:

·
Administrator
21,612 Posts
Just remember--We want pictures when you are done!

Basic auto relay, under $4 at most auto stores (or go to the junk yard and get a few, along with some fuses, wire, a bucket seat or 2, and have $5 wrapped up in the whole works, plus a fun day at the salvage yard).

Have fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some questions. The instructions say to connect to the 12v power source. Is that the big red wire from the battery to the solenoid? Do I splice into the wire to connect to it? I also have a new problem. When I connect the battery back up the starter immediately starts a revved up, consistent vrrrrr sound even if the key is off. What does that mean? It also seems like it gets louder when I turn the key on and try to start it. I dont think it is related to me adding the relay but I definetely need to get it fixed. I dont know if I need a new solenoid or starter. For the past 2 years I have been starting the mower by using a screwdriver across the solenoid so I figured that may have done some damage. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If you have to cross the solenoid with a screw driver it is no good. It's really a switch that takes a higher voltage into a lower voltage I believe 12 to 6 back to starter. The connecting of the battery to starter "vrr "sound is the starter motor spinning. Doing this and starting at the same time is bad to do. Also running a starter to long can ruin it so don't do that it will overheat only crank 10 to 15 seconds.. As for the starter if it still works by bypassing w/ a screw driver it's still good.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
A relay or solenoid is just an electrically operated switch. Instead of your fingers moving a switch, an electric coil closes the contacts for you. A solenoid is just a heavy duty relay. It can handle the large current a starter requires, whereas the ignition switch cannot. The ignition switch can handle the small current required by the coil of the solenoid.
The older cars ( I mean from the '30's or so) had foot operated starter switches. Why? Because they didn't use solenoids, and the starter switch was so big and heavy it was foot operated (and mounted under the floor).
Bard's neat fix supplies full battery voltage to the solenoid's coil, instead of the weaker voltage coming from a series of switches and contacts. The weaker voltage is enough for the added relay, but not enough to reliably operate the solenoid.
Hoping this long-winded dissertation helps....

·
Administrator
21,612 Posts
The 12v power source is from the heavy cable from the battery to the solenoid, the supply side. If you have made some errors on the connections of the relay, that may be causing the problem. Double check your work if you have indeed already hooked everything up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mower is up and running, but still clicking when I try and start it. I would assume I have made a mistake with the diagram. Out of the four wires that go to the relay I know I have hooked the ground and the connection to the key switch correctly. I am still unsure of is 87 connect to solenoid. Which part of solenoid exactly do I need to hook 87 in to? Do I need to splice 30 into the 12 volt power source or can I just put a connector on the wire and hook directly to the post that the 12 volt power source connects to?

·
Administrator
21,612 Posts
OK, take a look at the post from Kbeitz. See on the left side, where it says 12v in from key? That is where 87 hooks to. The wire that was originally on that post is what now connects to #86 wire. Number 30 hooks to a constant 12v supply. Once again, look at the diagram above. 30 will hook to the post that says 12v in from battery. You can just put an eye on there and stack it right along with the other wire connecting there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I have been working on this for a couple of weeks now and have put in a significant amount of time and still cannot figure it out. I am positive I have hooked it up correctly based on the diagram and Brads last post. When I have everything hooked up and try to start it I hear a click in the relay but no click in the solenoid and when I unhook it I hear the click in the solenoid. Neither allows the mower to start. I have checked the fuse and made sure all the safety switches were good but to no avail. I may be a lost cause and electronically challenged. Is there a chance that the relay is bad? Thank you for all your help anyway it was very appreciated your all are awesome!!!
Dan

·
Administrator
21,612 Posts
OK, here is what I would like you to do. Turn the relay over and look at the numbers and post where each of the wires from the numbers go.

Did you take a small wire off the solenoid and connect that wire to one off the relay, with another off the relay going to the post on the solenoid?

We'll get this figured out one way or another.

Where abouts in IL are you at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I will have to run through it again when I get home to see where I had everything hooked up too though. I will give an exact description tonight and I may even take some pics and post them so you can see where I have everything hooked to. Thank you for your patience and help.
Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts