My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
21,200 Posts
Did you say that when you turned the key on your old solenoid you just get a click each time? I would suggest a starter assist relay if that is the case. There is an article in the technical exchange section about them. Also, in my signature line, there is a link to a youtube video I made for this very issue. Explains a lot and will tell you how to test with a meter. And, if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can walk out with their entry level one (of which I have 2 or 3) for about $6 or less. Sometimes free when they have a special going on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2004 John Deere x320. I replaced the solenoid with a new one and put it back exactly the way the old one was bolted, wired etc. As soon as I connected the battery, sparks flew from the positive. I also heard the starter trying to start. I disconnected everything including the solenoid and redid it. Still the same result. I just can't figure out why sparks are flying when I re connect the battery. Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like either solenoid defective, stuck in "on" position, or wired incorrectly. You might try disconnecting the small wires from the solenoid and see if it still sparks. They may be on the wrong posts.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts