My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just last week, I found out that when I turned the key on the Sunstar 20, dash lights up but no cranking of the engine. I jumped the solenoid poles and it cranked over and started.
Well, that is not a good long term solution so I replaced the solenoid - not much labor involved and a solenoid is only about $9.
Yesterday, I started the tractor and drove it around to the other side of the house. I let it run for a few minutes and then shut it down.
An hour later, I went to move it but again, no crank. What the.....
I decided to jump the solenoid poles again - and it started.
What are the chances that a new solenoid has gone bad after only one time use?
Is there something deeper that I should be looking into?
Is there a common electrical issue that kills solenoids?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As I ponder this problem...
It occurs to me that I had starting issues that were fuel related and the battery got pretty low from all the cranking. Maybe the low cranking amps killed the solenoid?
I will replace the solenoid again but I will be more careful about the battery level.

·
Administrator
21,159 Posts
When you go to start it do you just get a clicking? Probably nothing more than a dirty connection or corroded safety causing the issue. See my signature for a video that may help you with your problem.

Jumping the solenoid will bypass the safeties, not a good idea. It will even turn the engine over with the key in the "OFF" position.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no clicking. Just lights on the dash and nothing else.

I am becoming convinced though, that the solenoid is probably OK.

So I will have to track down the other issue.

·
5,135 Posts
MD Stout....which fuse?...is there a starting system fuse in that tractor?...also let's go over basics.....PTO in off position, foot on brake, someone in the operator's seat?

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
5,135 Posts
The relay assist that BoWoggie suggests was "invented" by Brad....one of the other moderators on here, ( see post #5 in this thread...that is Brad) and it does perform a miracle on problem starting...have you performed a load test on the battery?.. I would do that and make sure you are not dealing with a weak battery ....I would disconnect, clean and reconnect every wire and cable connection...start with where the ground cable attaches to the chassis

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
The solenoid needs to be grounded. Has the ground been checked? Just bolting it to melt does not insure a good ground.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Believe I would suspect either a weak battery (that's dropping voltage under starting load, causing higher current) or a starter that's binding (dirt, low lube, etc.).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will look into it again come spring. For now, the battery is in storage on a trickle charger for the winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts