My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
If all we looked at was $/watt, many of these project would never get going. If you look at ancillary benefits like reduction in pollution, jobs created, energy self reliance, etc), then we should be starting more of these types of projects...

·
21,424 Posts

·
Banned
259 Posts
My only concern is how much I have to pay for hydro and at this point in time, taking into consideration the government grants and start up costs, solar and wind are not in the running.
My personal choice is nuclear but all things considered there is no cheaper energy source than fossil fuel.
It isn't logical to sell power for less than it costs to make or to pay more for green power when the brown stuff works just as good..

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
My only concern is how much I have to pay for hydro and at this point in time, taking into consideration the government grants and start up costs, solar and wind are not in the running.
My personal choice is nuclear but all things considered there is no cheaper energy source than fossil fuel.
It isn't logical to sell power for less than it costs to make or to pay more for green power when the brown stuff works just as good..
That kind of thinking is why we're in the mess we are. We need to eliminate as much fossil fuel use as possibly as quickly as possible. If I could use something else in my vehicles, I would.

Most of our power is from Hydro I think, with coal as second. I hate coal. It needs to stay in the ground. Along with oil.

·
Banned
259 Posts
I don't agree that we are in a mess. The planet is changing but it has done that many times in the past. It still exists and animal and plant life has adapted. The planet will continue to exist long after we are gone without intervention on our part to save it.

As far as fuel choices are concerned there are plenty of electric vehicles available that are proven to work very well. Costly but that is the price you pay to move away from cheap fossil fuels. Why have your concerns not prompted you to change.

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
If it wasn't for the corrupt policies of big oil, big money and the Big 3, we'd have all been driving affordable electric cars 30 years ago.

Big oil, big coal and big money are why we're not all on solar and wind by now too.

And why so many people can't breath clean air.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Let's not turn this into a political or environmental debate. There are other boards for those things but not this one.

I like looking at and learning about the green facilities. I like the technology side of this as well as other aspects. Let's not shut this down with a never ending debate.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Big oil, big coal and big money are why we're not all on solar and wind by now too.

Actually we are not on solar and wind because the paying public is not willing to pay what it would cost to do so. If big money could make money with solar and wind they would have done it long ago. Reality bites but it is what it is. Relatively speaking oil is cheap.

As far as the debate is concerned I am on here for entertainment and sharing of thoughts and opinions. It is enjoyable.
If admin chose to lock the thread so be it but I find it ironic that those of us on a forum dedicated to owning, operating , and "playing" with gas powered equipment can even talk about the environment with a straight face.
I don't need to cut my lawn I want to cut my lawn.

·
21,424 Posts

If admin chose to lock the thread so be it but I find it ironic that those of us on a forum dedicated to owning, operating , and "playing" with gas powered equipment can even talk about the environment with a straight face.
I don't need to cut my lawn I want to cut my lawn.

Hmm. Live in the country, do you? In the cities, there are by-laws stating that weeds on residential property must be kept in check. They even stipulate the maximum height. If you let a lawn go, it will exceed the maximum height in a few short weeks. If someone complains and you don't deal with it, the city will have it cut it for you and you get to pay for the contractor that does it.

A few gallons of gas is a darn site cheaper than one mowing by a contractor. As a pensioner on a fixed income, I need to cut my lawn to avoid that undesirable expense.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,743 Posts
That is VERY interesting, Tudor! I hadn't thought about the whole concept of "free" energy from the perspective that they pointed out in that article. You hear more about the amount of capital it takes to set up "alternative" energy plants, not much about the fact that they have pretty much zip in terms of ongoing "commodity" expenses. Just maintenance costs...

·
13,743 Posts
If you let a lawn go, it will exceed the maximum height in a few short weeks. If someone complains and you don't deal with it, the city will have it cut it for you and you get to pay for the contractor that does it.
And HERE'S an interesting urban versus rural factoid! Did you know that if you let your pumpkins grow wild in the city, eventually, when they cover your front walk, the postal service stops delivering your mail! Ask me how I know! :sidelaugh

(It was the most fascinating mail stoppage notification note I've ever seen! They don't actually HAVE a spot for "pumpkins" as the reason for mail stoppage, for some reason... But we've always wondered, who delivered the notice?)

·
21,424 Posts
Great Scott, Charlie Brown!! Are you growing the Great Pumpkin? :sidelaugh

·
13,743 Posts
Great Scott, Charlie Brown!! Are you growing the Great Pumpkin? :sidelaugh
Well, the pumpkins never got bigger than the size of a soccer ball, but the vines covered an area that was probably about 200 square feet! They loved all the sun with our southern exposure along the front of our house! (L-shaped house, so lots of solar energy reflecting on the front garden... Really, I should just give up on lawn and plant the whole yard to solar panels! :thThumbsU)

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
That is VERY interesting, Tudor! I hadn't thought about the whole concept of "free" energy from the perspective that they pointed out in that article. You hear more about the amount of capital it takes to set up "alternative" energy plants, not much about the fact that they have pretty much zip in terms of ongoing "commodity" expenses. Just maintenance costs...

No matter how much solar energy is collected by power companies, it will never be 'free' to the consumers (us) because of the grid maintenance and distribution costs. They still have to pay for all of that even if they no longer have to pay for fuel.

Really, I should just give up on lawn and plant the whole yard to solar panels! :thThumbsU)
I'd love to go solar or solar/wind hybrid. With some of the new incentives coming out, it might finally be affordable. Problem is, this is an old house and I'm not sure the roof would support the weight. Roof isn't really aligned right either. I'd rather have them on the ground, but the property is so uneven (hills, etc.) I'm not sure that would work either.

Then there are the utility fees. I've seen some reports of power companies charging monthly fees to consumers just for being connected, even if they don't use any power at all due to their own solar or wind systems.

·
10,189 Posts
And HERE'S an interesting urban versus rural factoid! Did you know that if you let your pumpkins grow wild in the city, eventually, when they cover your front walk, the postal service stops delivering your mail! Ask me how I know! :sidelaugh

(It was the most fascinating mail stoppage notification note I've ever seen! They don't actually HAVE a spot for "pumpkins" as the reason for mail stoppage, for some reason... But we've always wondered, who delivered the notice?)

:sidelaugh What did your neighbours think of that LTG? I bet the person writing the stoppage notice thought it was a joke :biglaugh:

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
Hmm. Live in the country, do you? In the cities, there are by-laws stating that weeds on residential property must be kept in check. They even stipulate the maximum height. If you let a lawn go, it will exceed the maximum height in a few short weeks. If someone complains and you don't deal with it, the city will have it cut it for you and you get to pay for the contractor that does it.

A few gallons of gas is a darn site cheaper than one mowing by a contractor. As a pensioner on a fixed income, I need to cut my lawn to avoid that undesirable expense.
I live in western Iowa.. within a 60 mile radius around us I bet there is almost 1000 wind towers.. yet none r in our county.. altho the county supervisors have just voted on lettin them come in.. wind farms have popped up all over.. 100-300 mills each.. now our city is 2500 people & we do have a city ordance on how tall ur grass can get.. if over the city will cut it & apply a lean on ur property of 150$$ each time.. we also have a ordance that says u can't use household furniture outside (like a kitchen dinette chair)..

I live in what was a mobile home park.. the original owner sold off each lot.. the county now says we r a home site.. meanin we own the land & the trailer on it.. (they no longer make us pay taxes or make us buy a license plate for the home.. instead it is taxed on the lot.. this means we can build a house on it.. the funny thing is this house must have a trailer skirt on it.. (even if it has a basement under it).. now when this court was laid out in the platt.. our side yard variance was made at 12 feet.. in the home lots east of us (developed at the same time) that was set at 7 feet.. now today the city says our variance is 7 feet.. (with nothing in black & white).. BUT the homes here must have a skirt.. if we build a home with an attached garage.. we must have the home part built first.. (can't build both at same time)(or start on the garage part first)..

I wanted to tear down a trailer home on one of the lots I own here.. I needed a permit to do this.. the city turned me down cause I didn't live in that home.. today that one is my mower garage & storage.. complete with a ramp instead of steps..

OOOHHHH.. the city has an ordnance that says anytime we change the appearance of our property.. we must have a permit to do so..(this includes painting our home a different color.. we must have a permit to do so..) so I went up to city hall & asked for a permit to mow my grass.. (it got a lil tall cause our push mower broke down but was still under the city's height requirement..) YUP.. they charged me a 25$$ permit so I could mow my own grass cause I was changin the appearance of my property..

·
Banned
259 Posts
I do not live in the country and do have to abide by bylaws requiring me to maintain my lot. It is my choice to live here rather than in a location where I do not need to maintain my lot. There is nothing in the bylaw stating that I must use a gas mower to cut my grass I use a gas mower because it's easier and I want to. Small lots could easily be cut with an electric mower but most of us prefer gas. Keep in mind that cost/affordability has no bearing on defining the difference between need and want.

Freedom of choice, I choose to pollute. We all simply need to take a deep breath, man up and proudly admit we love our gas powered equipment and pollute by choice. I feel no shame in admitting it. Everyone join in and say it
"I AM A GASOHOLIC".

21 - 39 of 39 Posts