My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wheel Horse 414-8, and am looking for ideas for a soil ripper attachment for it. I have some soil that has shells and rocks in it, and need to rip it out.
Interested in any home made ripper ideas. Tractor doesn't have hydraulics.
I have a small (15' x 20') area to do.
The problem I see, is how to apply downforce. It's such a small area, I wondered if it would be practical to make something that used a bottle jack to apply downforce. Would require getting off and resetting for each pass, but it is a small job. I have a jack.I also have a Porta a Power.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,503 Posts
I'd use a bottom plow...I had some real tough virginground to bust through, with thick field sod, gravel and oak roots, and used an 8" brinly. Cut it like butter. It's a bit tough on a machine, but my homemade sleeve hitch was the weak point, and didn't break (made of 3/16" scrap).

I busted two areas, one was 25x100, the other only about 15x15.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I have a cultivator for my 3 poitn and some of the attachments are spooned teeth- basically pointy on one end with a slight curve in it. I haven't used them yet, but come spring I will.

similar to this- this was my old one- it worked great!
Vehicle Soil Auto part Agricultural machinery Tractor

·
-
1,833 Posts
The problem is that if you push on the ripper via a jack attached to the tractor it will lift the tractor up - i.e. what happens when a tractor pushes down with its loader bucket and lifts the front wheels.

You need weight on the ripper itself. I have the same issue and use a big rock on my box blade to weight it down to dig in. You could use tractor wheel weights or find some barbell weights on Craigs List. The down side is having to lift it - a two handed affair even with a lift spring on my 112.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I made a home-made ripper and used a threaded rod to apply downward force. Didn't work well and what a pain it was to operate. Ended up tilling instead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bottom plow is the way to go the plow if angled right bites into the ground and digs deeper as you pull it..take it slow and make several passes until you get the hang of the plow and the soil composition...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You need to use "live weight" on whatever you pull. Live weight is also known as a neighbor, one of your kids, a trained animal or your wife (they may be the same...ha,ha).

Just stick some kind of seat on top of the plow thing you're pulling and have them hop off when you get to the end of a row. Let the passenger pick up the plow enough to turn around, then have the "weight" get back on for the next pass. They'll have fun and you'll be the talk of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I think what your refering to would be a sub-soiler of some type.I've thought about building one myself (haven't yet) but I would think it would work better with one maybe two feet,maybe no wider than 2in.each.That way you could lift it without busting a gut or pulling your back out.If the teeth were angled toward the tractor it would pull itself downward.Much like a culivator.I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts