My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Husqvarna RZ5424 tractor last week from Sears and picked up the bagger last night.

The tractor was brand new, but the bagger seemed pretty old and the box was really beat up. I opened the box and was surprised to see hard bags instead of the mesh bags. This would be ok, but the cover is actually cracked. I can easily return the bagger and get a new one, but do I want to hang onto these hard bags? I only have experience with two Sears tractors with hard bags and like them, but I do not know about the advantage or disadvantage of the soft bags.

Sears wants me to return the whole bagger, they will not just send me a cover. The cover is $125 from sears parts, so I want to make sure it is worth keeping.

Chris

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,577 Posts
I've used both types. Didn't have a problem with the mesh but I prefer the hard bins. They are easier to dump, you can set them down and they won't collapse, you can stack them together for storage and if they get wet they don't take forever to dry. :smilie_fl

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I found another thread that pretty much said the same thing.

I went to Sears tonight and they will not fix the bagger I have, the require me to return the entire bagger and take delivery of a new one. Lets see what I get this Thursday!

Chris

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
i had a 3 bin Bagger on my older LT craftsman, and the bins were never the problem. It was the plastic tubes and the chute on the deck...always an issue.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,577 Posts
Thanks, I found another thread that pretty much said the same thing.

I went to Sears tonight and they will not fix the bagger I have, the require me to return the entire bagger and take delivery of a new one. Lets see what I get this Thursday!

Chris
One thing about Sears is that if it is not right you can make them do it again and again until it is right. As a last recourse you can go directly to the store manager and usually get results. :goodl:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing about Sears is that if it is not right you can make them do it again and again until it is right. As a last recourse you can go directly to the store manager and usually get results. :goodl:
You are right, you can't beat their customer service. Part of the reason why I bought the Husqvarna there.

I will be interested to see what shows up on Thursday.

Chris

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
i had a 3 bin Bagger on my older LT craftsman, and the bins were never the problem. It was the plastic tubes and the chute on the deck...always an issue.
Yeah, the chute doesn't make the best fit / seal on the deck, but it's "adequate"

·
Registered
152 Posts
i would def take hard over soft reason being is in some cases you may lose a little bagging room but with the hard case you dont have to try and shake and jumble the bag to get the grass out plus my model has a decent size i can do a good part of my land before having to empty it this is more of a preferance in any case gl

·
Got Low Range????
393 Posts
So it seems that maybe hard is prefered by a majority or in some cases, personal preference but has anyone used both? I've only used the soft and the only problem I've had is sometimes the grass/leaves get packed in and they are difficult to empty. Maybe that does not happen with hard containers. I'm thinking my next tripple bagger will be hard containers just for the comparison,

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you do get soft bags be careful where you store them when not in use. I read one thread where a guy had mice eat holes into his bags while they were stored. I've got the soft bags and haven't had any problems with them. Never used the hard ones so can't comment on them.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
I have the hard bins, and they do work great. I have never used soft side bags. My only complaint about the hard bins is that they are 2 piece, and from time to time they come apart. The latch mechanism that keeps them together stinks! I have been trying to think of a way to make them permanent, but have not come up with anything "neat" yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the soft bags and the only thing I don't like about them is its hard to wash them out, but I prefer them over the two piece hard plastic ones... if they had a single piece hard plastic bin I'd buy those though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the hard bins, and they do work great. I have never used soft side bags. My only complaint about the hard bins is that they are 2 piece, and from time to time they come apart. The latch mechanism that keeps them together stinks! I have been trying to think of a way to make them permanent, but have not come up with anything "neat" yet.
Hi Mark,

I have the hard bins, but wish they were one piece. Out of the three I have only one that hasn't come apart. I think this coming winter I'll bring them into my shop and brain storm a little, only have a little brain left.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Hi Mark,

I have the hard bins, but wish they were one piece. Out of the three I have only one that hasn't come apart. I think this coming winter I'll bring them into my shop and brain storm a little, only have a little brain left.

I have been thinking of drilling some holes and using some of those nylon zip ties on them Sandy. Next time that I have time I will investigate, unless you get it done first... let me know what you figure out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts