My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm laughing so hard I can barely write. I get these scam social security calls obviously from India by the accent, telling me to call this 855# toll free number. Of course all they want is name and ss# . So I called the number on both our home phone and cell phone simultaneously, then flipped cell phone around so it was Mic to speaker. Two scammers answered giving each other fake information to each other, cursing each other out, etc. After 10 minutes they both hung up...so I did it again. It was hilarious, wife laughing on floor. 855-864-5389 was the number.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
3,247 Posts
I usually come up with pretty creative stuff for those guys......but hat's off to you ? ...that is a good one....a lot of times after a while of jerking them around some ask me if they want me to be put on their do not call list...I tell them no...that I have no one else to talk to and I look forward to hearing from them

·
Super Moderator
27,404 Posts
Best one I ever had was a lady who when I answered said that she was looking at my computer screen and that I had a virus. I simply asked her what the background picture was of (hint: something Green and Yellow!!) and she hung up! I guess you aren't supposed to ask them questions like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm laughing so hard I can barely write. I get these scam social security calls obviously from India by the accent, telling me to call this 855# toll free number. Of course all they want is name and ss# . So I called the number on both our home phone and cell phone simultaneously, then flipped cell phone around so it was Mic to speaker. Two scammers answered giving each other fake information to each other, cursing each other out, etc. After 10 minutes they both hung up...so I did it again. It was hilarious, wife laughing on floor. 855-864-5389 was the number.

I used to hand the phone to my 4 year old to chat with them. She actually kept on on the line for 15 minutes. What a hoot. Paybacks are **** for scamners.

·
close enuff works for me
2,984 Posts
I get telemarket calls when in my work shop ,some of the time I will set the phone by the TV ,so they can listen to the TV. One call came in right after I started a garden tractor up, laid the phone near the exhaust pipe and walked away.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best one I ever had was a lady who when I answered said that she was looking at my computer screen and that I had a virus. I simply asked her what the background picture was of (hint: something Green and Yellow!!) and she hung up! I guess you aren't supposed to ask them questions like that.
I used to get those "we need you to go to your computer and check it" calls. What they want is your IP code.
I would say hold on...then let me find glasses, etc. Then say ok it's on. Oh...do you need monitor on also? Ok. By now they were getting pixxed. "What's on your screen?" I'd say oh! I see you, I've got a baseball bat and I'm.....you can guess the rest. I set phone down while they scream and yell.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I very seldom answer my home phone and just let it go to voice mail. On my cell I only answer if I recognize the number. Answering the call shows them that they have a live one and will call again. Also, they sell their list to other spammers and a list of confirmed live numbers fetches a higher price.

Same sort of thing with email spam. Never reply and never ever click the link to unsubscribe. Not only will you not be unsubscribed but rather you will have just subscribed to more spam. You also need to disable return receipt as some spammers use it to get confirmation that you read their email.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trouble is, answering on your cell, they instantly know your number and you are going to keep getting calls....just sayin'
You're right...but after me messing with them they stopped calling. I use reverse psychology, "please call me! I love telling you guys off. By the way...are you naked?".

2,269 Posts
Don't open any emails you don't know the sender. Hackers can easily take over your computer. You could open an email and a hacker can immediately have full control of your computer. He would have full access to your email, all your files stored and your identity.

Don't answer the cell phone if you don't recognize the caller. Hackers can easily hack your smart phone just by you answering it. Skilled hackers can take over a hacked smartphone and do everything from making overseas phone calls, sending texts, and using your phone's browser to shop on the Internet. Using your phone number to spam or hack others.

Don't answer the home phone unless you recognize the caller. Hackers and thieves when they call the home phone, chances are they already know where you live, how many people live in your house, what's the family income and have your social security numbers. All this is public information, so they know it. If you answer. they now know they have a live one to hack, rob your assets, or steal your identity.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
...and just to follow up on email spam, a trick both real email (ie, if you signed up to get email flyers from your local grocery story for example) and for spam, they will send you email as html instead of plain text, and include one or more images, and just viewing the email will by default automatically retrieve those images, and will identify that the email account is legit and that you have viewed the email (as the image name will be unique to your email message).

Gmail has done some tricks to make it less certain if/when you view emails like this (unless the sender pays them), but I have my email application (both on my phone and my computer) to prefer displaying plain text, and if displaying html, to NOT automatically load images.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts