My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I didn't really break it today, it was actually back toward the end of May. I just got around to learning how to post pictures this week.

So the story is just like the title, took a day off from my day job to cut hay and was about 1/3 done with the field when all of a sudden it just collapses on me. It is one of those things that is so unexpected that you can't wrap your mind around it while it is happening. As the front end is dropping I was thinking "there can't be a hole this big in this field!" Not to mention I was a bit concerned that when I stopped it might be abrupt. As it turned out the hay cutter counter balanced it enough that the landing was surprisingly gentle. I did bang one shin fairly good but it could have been a lot worse.

Upon inspection it turns out, the itty-bitty clip that holds in the small pin that holds in the BIG pivot pin fell out. It worked it's way back to the big pin and you can see the result.

I managed to get it back together by myself by lifting the front end up with a Bobcat. It took about four hours, a lot of sweat and a lot of swearing but I did it and still finished cutting the hay by dark! I assure you that lining it up in a soft field was not fun.

That weekend after finishing the hay we took it back apart and replaced the missing shims and got the proper hardware back in to it. The only damage is that the tie rods are ever so slightly bent. So slightly bent that we didn't even have to adjust the toe in, it still drives just fine. If we ever wanted to change the track width they would have to be replaced but we don't row crop so no harm there either.

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Man that was a surprise for no matter what you were doing. That could have done a lot of damage if you hadn't have kept your head.

Glad to hear that it all worked out.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Man o man what a shock alright !, glad you did'nt get seriously hurt and everything is back together :fing32:.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
HOLY CRAP

those are some big tri-ribs

all kidding aside, glad to hear youre alright

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
YIKES !! Glad you didn't get hurt any worse than you did. Good job getting it all back together out in the field.

·
-
1,833 Posts
That pic would make a good avatar. Looks like your tractor is depressed in the photo.

Glad it wasn't worse.

·
close enuff works for me
3,193 Posts
I see you taught your tractor to lay down,,,,,,,,,,,,,sure hope you don't try teaching it to roll over!!,............:biglaugh:......

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
I see you taught your tractor to lay down,,,,,,,,,,,,,sure hope you don't try teaching it to roll over!!,............:biglaugh:......
:biglaugh::sidelaugh:sidelaugh:ROF

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
its a good thing you wasn,t going down the road at 20 miles an hour that could of been real bad.and I know what you mean about lineing up pins in the meadow.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
when I was a kid, my father ran a late 40's Massey Fergusson '44

I think we had to fix the front end on that thing at least a half dozen times. Every time it broke, dad would have to "wheelie" the thing home. I don't know how he managed it, but he could drive that thing with just the rear wheels on it all the way home. When he'd get to the garage we'd set up the rigging and he'd set the nose right down on the blocks. Always amazed me how he could keep the front end up like that

·
10,839 Posts
The tractor in the photo looks like Speed Buggy's ******* 3rd cousin.

Glad you didn't get hurt worse and were able to slap it back together.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Kitty, i kinda resemble that cousin remark!

Glad you weren't hurt and got the Tractor fixed!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its a good thing you wasn,t going down the road at 20 miles an hour that could of been real bad.and I know what you mean about lineing up pins in the meadow.
It could have been the end of the line for me if it had happened in the wrong place. When I look back over all of the close calls I have had in my life I think the Lord must have a whole troop of angels watching over me!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Glad you wernt hurt or tractor damaged. Had something like that happen to me when i worked for my uncle. We put 3pth cultivators on the AC 190XT and after dinner i started down to the other feild so my aunt could start early the next morning. Not sure if the clip pin came out or was never put in. But i moved to the shoulder to let cars pass and when i returned to the road one lift arm came un hooked, then cartwheeled into the left rear tire and climbed up it. By luck and only luck i hit the wheel brakes and they wernt locked together and that wheel locked up not letting the cultivators puncture the tire only 2 small tears in the lugs. Took me an hour to work it back down, rehooked to the lift arm and put a bolt in it. My uncle was ahead of me and did not know anything had happened until he got tired of waiting for me and came looking. Sometimes we are all being watched over.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
A Goober we call "BEACH THE PEACH" knocked the front end out o a 4020 JD and we hooked a chain to the front end and pulled forward with another tractor as we backed up the broken one. Worked for us.

We pointed out a little sink hole and warned him to stay away from it. First pass around the field and as we were watching he drove right into it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts