My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PGT9000 (917.289740) is going to need a refresh...I've owned this tractor for about 5 years and I have to say it's been a pretty decent runner for me. 54" deck has never given problems either. However, my steering is now feeling pretty loose-up & down movement on the column and I think it might benefit from a front end bearing kit? Any thoughts on that would be welcomed!
The only issue I seem to be having is ordering parts. There are a few places online, but the exploded views leave a bit to be desired. What are your go-to places for parts for these? Thanks in advance...this seems to be a pretty friendly forum!

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
Welcome to MTF Doc995! Lots of info here and great members to help, enjoy the site! Here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

·
Registered
253 Posts
My PGT9000 (917.289740) is going to need a refresh...I've owned this tractor for about 5 years and I have to say it's been a pretty decent runner for me. 54" deck has never given problems either. However, my steering is now feeling pretty loose-up & down movement on the column and I think it might benefit from a front end bearing kit? Any thoughts on that would be welcomed!
The only issue I seem to be having is ordering parts. There are a few places online, but the exploded views leave a bit to be desired. What are your go-to places for parts for these? Thanks in advance...this seems to be a pretty friendly forum!
Hey there Doc995, sounds like an interesting issue you have there. I figured they fixed the steering issues on the GT's about a decade before this thing was built. I'm not sur of the issues these newer tractors have. I've never owned one neither have I had issues with one. I can tell you now what things I think it could be that you could check. I know these tractors have many things to them that can cause slop in the steering. I say since it's a newer tractor, it shouldn't be too hard to find the issue. Best I can say is if it's a big enough slop in the steering, you'll be able to find it with the deck off. Back in the good old days of Craftsman's in the 90's, many of them had a center support boot that would hold the shaft from the steering wheel that went down to a gear which was just above the support boot. They were made of plastic and would wear so bad you could have a 1/2 turn of slop almost in the steering and then maybe even end up stripping the gears. They fixed this in 2001 with updated sector gear steering that solved the issue. To the best of my knowledge, you've two options. Either hope someone who knows these newer models comes around and solve the issue, or just have the deck off and turn the wheel while observing the steering system to find out where the issue is. I'd say it's either the bushings for the rod that connects the two front wheels together, center axle bushing slop (which mine has), tierod ball joint slop, or bushings in the main steering section gone out. Check whatever you can and find it. Only way to do it is play around with the steering wheel until you can see what's sliding all around.

·
I break things
405 Posts
There are bushings in the steering system that wear. The upper one on the steering shaft is plastic and when worn the steering wheel will wobble and have play. You can get other play in the lower portion of the steering where the pinion gear meshes with the steering gear. The lower is bronze or plastic, i cant remember. Replacing will help, but these tracors are built on the cheap and there will always be slop. Most replace the upper bushing with flange bearing and that will really help.

The tie rods on the steering linkages are also subject to wear. Either you replace the steering linkages too, or get fancy and rebuild new shafts with better joints.

Bushings in the wheels are likely plastic. You can install actual bearings that will last longer.

Bushings on the front spindles are likely plastic too. You can get some roller bearings and shims to take up the slack in the system to help take out the slop.

Those AYP tractors share much of the same infrastructure, so do some searches on here for steering upgrades and fixes and you will likely get all the part numbers you need to make the steering system more robust.

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
68 Posts
DOC, nice rig. I have a few tractors and worked on a few more. Steering problems are usually like the others said above; in the bushings and bearings. Of the steering issues I have encountered along my way, most of the issues were of the plastic inserts failing leaving considerable slop or in the meshing gears in 10 and 11 on the drawing. Your newer model has steel, or at least metal bushings. Since you say it feels like an up and down issue on the column, it could be that nut 8 has loosened up or the hex bearing 19 on the steering shaft itself has failed and is allowing movement. Rarer still might be that the washer / spacer 14 has failed. Not sure of the torque loads, but I had a 1971 MG Midget that had a steel thrust washer in the tranny fail by splitting in half.
They stamp out a bunch of parts every day, some are or can be faulty.
As far as where to order, I go use Sears Parts Direct for mail order since they closed the parts warehouse on Island here. Good luck, that is too nice a tractor not to have it running like a top.

PTG9000 front end parts mod.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts