My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
who here even has a jug of distilled water in stock?
I know I wouldn’t except that my wife now has a c-pap machine so we now always have a few gallons on hand.. Lol

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well can’t complain about Interstate customer service. Emailed them some pics last night and just got off the phone with them. I told her I was just calling to let them know what happened and under what circumstances.. According the the part number this battery was manufactured almost 6 years ago.. I swear I only bought it in 2018.. and it only has a 12 month warranty, however They’re sending me a check for the MSRP of $114 and change. Can’t be nicer than that!

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Well can’t complain about Interstate customer service. Emailed them some pics last night and just got off the phone with them. I told her I was just calling to let them know what happened and under what circumstances.. According the the part number this battery was manufactured almost 6 years ago.. I swear I only bought it in 2018.. and it only has a 12 month warranty, however They’re sending me a check for the MSRP of $114 and change. Can’t be nicer than that!
FTWR,

I would say they did their part.

I wonder how one could read the code.

On tires, I believe it is the day of the year and the year. Looking at the tires on my daughters car, (4321) forty third day of 2021.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
FTWR,

The numbers on your battery appear to be 7D11CSVJ, with Interstate saying it is six years old, that would be sometime in 2016 and sat on the shelf for two years prior to your purchase.

·
blinged out
1,870 Posts
that's very nice of them, when you get the cheque cashed send them an invoice for concrete sealer!

·
Registered
1989 Ford 150 4x4, various lawn tractors
39 Posts
When I worked as a class 7/8 mechanic we were taught never to charge a frozen battery or to charge one that had swollen sides from freezing because the plates become disconnected internally with low battery fluid you can see what a big bang looks like if you try a 50 amp boost.

If you charge a battery and it shows a cell missing (example: 10.5 or 10.8 etc.) you know just to let it sit for a couple of hours before removing the cables and junking it.

It is possible for a cell to go bad in a battery and for the battery charger not to recognize it and to keep charging it until the fluid boils away and the battery explodes. I had a battery tender (1a at 12v) nuke a marginal battery, luckily I caught it once I saw fluid boiling out of the battery vent before it exploded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
About a month ago I winterized my 5th wheel camper, then backed it into the unheated portion of my barn.. just like I’ve done the past 7 years. Today I noticed what looked like water on the floor under the front compartment… weird spot for something to drip from, but my first thought it was from the wash I did right before I tucked it in.. then looking closer I saw signs it wasn’t water, but acid. WTH?!? So I opened the compartment and the battery box and saw this..

View attachment 2573441

View attachment 2573442
Only a few years old, was working fine when parked as I ran the front legs with the unit unplugged when I unhooked from the truck. I did plug the unit in after as I have a 50a outlet for it.
Never seen one blow apart like this before. Turned the battery disconnect and started looking for gloves and a way to deal with the acid. Luckily I found where my wife hid the baking soda and covered the spill completely before cleaning up the mess.
Not sure what could have caused this, anyone have a clue and is there anything I should check in the Unit?
Thanks!
Interstate batteries are NO LONGER good quality batteries. THEY ARE NOW JUNK!!! The current BEST batteries on the market are DEKA and Wal Mart (believe it or not) batteries!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
About a month ago I winterized my 5th wheel camper, then backed it into the unheated portion of my barn.. just like I’ve done the past 7 years. Today I noticed what looked like water on the floor under the front compartment… weird spot for something to drip from, but my first thought it was from the wash I did right before I tucked it in.. then looking closer I saw signs it wasn’t water, but acid. WTH?!? So I opened the compartment and the battery box and saw this..

View attachment 2573441

View attachment 2573442
Only a few years old, was working fine when parked as I ran the front legs with the unit unplugged when I unhooked from the truck. I did plug the unit in after as I have a 50a outlet for it.
Never seen one blow apart like this before. Turned the battery disconnect and started looking for gloves and a way to deal with the acid. Luckily I found where my wife hid the baking soda and covered the spill completely before cleaning up the mess.
Not sure what could have caused this, anyone have a clue and is there anything I should check in the Unit?
Thanks!
Keep a trickle charger on in storage if they go dead they will freeze ,that probably what happened to yours ~~old phart~~

·
blinged out
1,870 Posts
when batteries freeze they don't blow the lid off,they just bulge out the sides! I've had many old dead batteries around from servicing boats and they've sat in -35 and never seen one with the top split open like that! my guess would be it boiled dry from charging and warped the plates until shorting and igniting the hydrogen!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts