My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im always on the lookout for a good used side-shaft engine, they serve so many purposes and are so useful with minor modifications. Ive got like probably 10 of them...

Honda GX-200 (heavily modified for Kart racing)
Kohler CH6-XKE- Stock class Kart engine
Tecumseh H50
Tecumseh HH60(X3)
Tecumseh H60
Tecumseh H70 (new in box shortblock)
Tecumseh OHH50
Kohler CH13S
Briggs 5.5 intek
Briggs 8.75 series Intek
Briggs 5hp flathead(X2) (one is 10 over, totally restored to brand new, with an old pull choke carb)

And last weekend I spotted a deal on a 11hp Honda GX-340.

I picked it up, guy said it ran but wouldnt start then...50 bucks.

I got it hom, dumped the oil out of the carb and cylinder, fresh gas and it fired right up, ran pretty good, but when it got hot it had a sort of faint internal rattle, sounded like either the beginning of rod knock, or a good piston slap.

So I tore it down today and found the cylinder shows very little signs of wear, in fact it is smooth as silk and no ridge up top at all. Piston slid right out so easy. The piston skrt is visibly worn. Ring gaps were 0.038 up top and 0.035 at the bottom, so there is a very slight taper to the cylidner, but not too terrible.

Cam showed some signs of wear, just on the tops of the lobes.

This motor must have a ton of hours on it...but the crank, rod, etc showed no signs of wear..

So I did some research and found that a 13hp Cam (GX-390) and 13hp Carb will bolt right up to the 11hp engine and give it more lift/duration, and the carb lets it breath better.

Ive got to take it to work tomorrow and do some precise measuring, but I think a couple dozen passes with a rigid hone will clean up the cylinder. i think most of the wear was on the piston itself.

Im not one to buy cheap parts, but I happen to know that Honda parts are made in CHINA, and the same comapanys that make HONDA parts in china, offer the same quality parts in the aftermarket..

Cam was 30 bucks new, from honda would have been abour 110.00
Carb was 29.95 new, would have been like 100 from Honda
Gaskets were like 8 bucks for the 3 I needed, a kit was 40 bucks from honda.

Then I went to N-R racing, a kart engine site, and ordered an adjustable main jet for the carb, something honda doesnt offer..and I ordered an aftermarket K&N Air filter, foam pre-filter, and an adapter to mount it to the 390 carb...The original filter was good, but this filter is much much better.

The only parts Im holding off on are the only OEM honda parts I intend to use, and those are the piston, rings, and wrist pin. Ill know what part to order there tomorrow hopefully.

All totalled, Ill have about 300 bucks in this engine, and power output will be at or better than 13hp...and it will run like a top.

Dont know what Im going to do with it, Ill put it on the shelf with all the others for the time being. Im so upside down on some of them I cant afford to ever sell them...:ROF

·
15,000 +posts!
20,834 Posts
I try to get all the horizontal shaft engines I can for free or cheap too,mostly from old snowblowers,that is about all around here they use those on much any more..but its getting harder every day to find any that aren't grenaded,though I tend to take those too,for parts--you KNOW the carb was good,if it tossed a rod!..

I bought a Briggs model 14 for 10 bucks at a swap meet last weekend,mostly for the recoil which my Compact 8M is missing--but after I got it running ,I hate to "borrow" any parts off it!..(you may have read my thread about busting the primary wire off the coil and how I "fixed" it here!)..I have an identical engine already too,same exact model numbers,in my shed..one may wind up on my Compact 7M,if the Tecumseh gives me much more grief!..I'm sick to death of Tecumseh carbs..I'd have to drill two new holes to mount a Briggs in place of a Tecumseh though,evidently older Briggs have a wider base!..(both of those engines are 1950's vintage,but are aluminum)..

I wish I could buy a carb for any of the engines I have for 29 bucks!..mine are "extinct"!..I've never owned a Honda yet,(other than a motorcycle and an ATV,no small engines)--almost bought one for 50 bucks at that swap meet,but it was only 5.5 HP..it's tough getting ANY horizontal shafts here larger than 8 HP for a cheap price,always has been,no matter what brand..
But I did see several Wisconsins for sale at the swap meet for 50-100 bucks,which kind of surprised me,including one MONSTER 16 HP one that looked like an old Briggs someone fed steriods too!..was on an aincient sandblaster,and was full of wasps,so I couldn't get too close an read the model number--I wanted that thing!..so cool looking,like the "454" of small engines!..bet it has an 8" stroke!..

I usually only keep these engines around for "spares" for things I have already,or to use on other projects--if they run but smoke or tick,oh well--they get run "as is",I dont spend a nickel more than I have too on them..too easy to get carried away,as you very well know!..

·
Junk Collector
420 Posts
Dont know what Im going to do with it, Ill put it on the shelf with all the others for the time being. Im so upside down on some of them I cant afford to ever sell them...:ROF
Haha, sounds like me!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, sounds like me!
Ive got a 130262 Briggs, also known as the Fun Power engine for Gokarts.

It's your basic 5hp flathead, plain bearings, etc. My cousin had it on a gokart, he never took care of it, ever. He seized it 3-4 times before it finally had no compression, he tossed it to the curb.

I picked it up, tore it apart and bored it 0.010 over, new Chromed piston, new rod, new rings, new governor gear, milled the head and trimmed the eyebrows.

Then I got a #2 casting pull choke carb off an older blown engine, and the tank as well and put it all on there. Then I painted it all up, and put a brand new updated recoil on it.

Lastly I slid in a Tiller cam out of an old engine...

Man it runs like a top...and it should with 200+ dollars in parts inside of it, plus labor...

It looks and runs like brand new, and I did it all just to spite my cousin who said it was blown up peice of crap that wasnt worth his time...:ROF

·
Slowly turning green...
1,248 Posts
I am building up a considerable amount of small sideshaft engines too.

-running briggs 3.5hp
-running good but smoking 4hp GX series honda
-running badly and smoking 7hp wisconsin
-running on starter fluid and knocking tecumseh
-ancient B&S with no shroud (possibly a 5S)

·
Banned
2 Posts
i have a few also ..I am buliding a junior dragster for my 4 year old daughter ..I have a 3.5 brigs side shaft for it runs great ..just ordered the frame for it ....But not sure which mods to make to the engine yet and haven't figured out what drive i am going to put in it

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
I am building up a considerable amount of small sideshaft engines too.)

I made a similar post like this in Backyard Round Table a little while ago. I'm up to about 12 horizontals; Tecumsehs and Briggs. All on shelves, all needing a little work, but, for whatever reason, I just enjoy having them. I already hooked one up to a water pump which came in handy when my neighbor flooded his basement playing plumber.

·
Happy To Be Here
3,754 Posts
Most of the snow blowers I see, have blown engines. They get a workout, here in PA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts