My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 450 today, NOt RUNNING. 100.00. Looks pretty good now that all the dust is off of it! I cleaned the points, fresh gas and oil changs, new battery, turned the key, pumped the fueel pump manually and the Onan Twin Cast Iron ROARED TO LIFE! Runs as smoothe as a button with a little adjjustong of the Carb. I took it out to mow some grass and it mows like a cusion dream. The shuttle shift was new to get used to. I had to tighten the clush spring on the shuttle shift and it has good pulling power in higher gears as well. I was a little dissapointed in the slow ground speed, but impressed with the easy steering and wide cut. The engine has NOT A DROP OR HINT OF SMOKE!!! Even when i started it for the first time in years. Also has great compression, 130 in each. The engine needs new points as mine are worn to death, and maybe new carb rebuild kit. Has a marvel carb on it. Adjusts easy. All in all i think it is a real brute and a tank of all gravely's. Had to talk about it, im impressed with my barn find. The oil in the gearcase stinks bad, but is clean. :trink39:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Congratulations!

I think that you stole that machine.

Got any pics yet??

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill post some pics soon. I think i stole it too.
Hahaha im glad i have every tractor- bolens h14, bolens h16, cub cadet 782, sears gt18 twin, speedex 16, poulan 18.5-6, etc and now a Gravely- The arsenal is never complete until you own every OLD IRON ever built for man kind. Thats what i tell my Better hlf.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
is that your first onan? i got one in the ss/16 i bought a week ago and im BLOWN AWAY by it

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
I got the 450 today, NOt RUNNING. 100.00. Looks pretty good now that all the dust is off of it! I cleaned the points, fresh gas and oil changs, new battery, turned the key, pumped the fueel pump manually and the Onan Twin Cast Iron ROARED TO LIFE! Runs as smoothe as a button with a little adjjustong of the Carb. I took it out to mow some grass and it mows like a cusion dream. The shuttle shift was new to get used to. I had to tighten the clush spring on the shuttle shift and it has good pulling power in higher gears as well. I was a little dissapointed in the slow ground speed, but impressed with the easy steering and wide cut. The engine has NOT A DROP OR HINT OF SMOKE!!! Even when i started it for the first time in years. Also has great compression, 130 in each. The engine needs new points as mine are worn to death, and maybe new carb rebuild kit. Has a marvel carb on it. Adjusts easy. All in all i think it is a real brute and a tank of all gravely's. Had to talk about it, im impressed with my barn find. The oil in the gearcase stinks bad, but is clean. :trink39:
The oil in the tranny is likely 90wt gear oil. Best thing to do is replace it with 30wt motor oil instead.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
You got a good deal! The Onan is just about the longest lasting, smoothest engine Gravely ever used. The only problem is they are so expensive to rebuild.

If you get tired of 4 wheels, just transfer the engine to a Commercial, 500, 5000, or Pro two wheeler and have a super two-wheeler. Talk about spinning a 50" deck!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha yah i do love the onan engine. The thing runs smooth and has more power than any kohler single ive used. it is a little hard to start when hot but i shut it off on high idle instead of low, and itll start right off. I am going to try mowin with it tommorow after i sharpen the blades and see if i like it. If not i may sell it if i dont like how it handles. I am looking for a snowblower attatchment and am willing to pay, seeing i got the tractor for such a deal. If anybody you know, or you are selling one please let me know. I have a bolens one for m h14 but it isnt as good as a gravely snow chucker. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The oil in the tranny is likely 90wt gear oil. Best thing to do is replace it with 30wt motor oil instead.
Or gravely Yellow now! Hahaha I didnt think you were supposed to run 30 wt oil in an old gravely gear drive?? If you can run it good! It is chaper. I am looking for MAXIMUM protecion of the cluch and gears, which is best??

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
good luck with it By the way nice truck in your avatar lets see more of it ! is it yours??? I had one like it sold it to a mike from Ohio a few years back. came to ma. in a moving van and trailer to pick it up! can't be it . CAN IT??

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Or gravely Yellow now! Hahaha I didnt think you were supposed to run 30 wt oil in an old gravely gear drive?? If you can run it good! It is chaper. I am looking for MAXIMUM protecion of the cluch and gears, which is best??
The last thing Gravely approved for in the tranny was 10W-30. 30wt motor oil is about the same viscosity as 90wt gear oil. The problem with modern gear oils is that they may contain sulphur which will attack the brass gear.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gears are brass? Oh i thought the tranny was bulletproof. Steal gears i mean. Hmmm. i didnt know about the gear oil thing- so sae30 is best then. Ill do that then. Wow i never new brass in a big tractor would hold up. Wow. And the truck isnt mine- i have a 77 that looks exactly like it- lifted and sort so i figured this one was close enough.

·
Super Moderator
12,813 Posts
$100? That's great! I heard a few Onan powered riders running at the mow-in.
They sounded real smooth. Congrats.
The 450 I saw is listed on CL again, but now without the motor. The new seller stated that he bought it for the motor, and is now re-selling the rest of it for $150.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thaught it was a good price. I hope tommorow after work ill have some time to mow and try out the ONAN! YAH! I am a little worried about the clutch and transmission because it seemt like it slips a little. I hope it holds up and no gears are damaged! I have had a lot of geardrive trqactors fail on me, but never a hydro. I think ill like it- ill let yall know tommorow and hopefully get some pics too!

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
I thaught it was a good price. I hope tommorow after work ill have some time to mow and try out the ONAN! YAH! I am a little worried about the clutch and transmission because it seemt like it slips a little. I hope it holds up and no gears are damaged! I have had a lot of geardrive trqactors fail on me, but never a hydro. I think ill like it- ill let yall know tommorow and hopefully get some pics too!
No mistake about it - you did very well picking up that machine for that price! And you have an Onan twin that appears to working great! The only neg. I've heard about the Onan's was the replacement parts cost being steep; otherwise, people say they're as solid as the Kohlers.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
The gears are brass? Oh i thought the tranny was bulletproof. Steal gears i mean. Hmmm. i didnt know about the gear oil thing- so sae30 is best then. Ill do that then. Wow i never new brass in a big tractor would hold up. Wow. And the truck isnt mine- i have a 77 that looks exactly like it- lifted and sort so i figured this one was close enough.
The worm gear but not the worm is. A rather heavy chunk of it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Humm.. That is interresting. Do any gears notoriously go bad in gravely's?
I hope not.. I mowed all my grass today!!! It mowed fairly well, left some strips of grass from discharge but it was high and wet... I thinkn my steering is failing though- the gears will pop and crack when i turn onced in a while= what do these consist of? Like AYP or Sears GT gearS? I cant seem to find any anywhere?

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Humm.. That is interresting. Do any gears notoriously go bad in gravely's?
I hope not.. I mowed all my grass today!!! It mowed fairly well, left some strips of grass from discharge but it was high and wet... I thinkn my steering is failing though- the gears will pop and crack when i turn onced in a while= what do these consist of? Like AYP or Sears GT gearS? I cant seem to find any anywhere?
I think they are rack and pinion. Atleast my 816S has that. But I dont know about the 450.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, i did change the fluid in the rearend with Kohler MAGNUM SEA30. Rather expensive but i work at GL Outdoor power so DISCOUNT ON ALL OF MY PARTS Which rocks! Took about 6 Quarts. Also got a new poinst-condenser set, still gotta install them. I also pulled off the mower deck and took the gearbox cover off, cleaned out all the old grey colored grease and replaced it with new grease. Also put grease in the spindles- greasable. Greased the U Joints and oiled the moving parts. I should be good to go for the summer now! Gotta scrape the grass out tommorow but thats easy. All that is left to do is fix my steering and put new point cond. in the onan. I am rather growing fond of the shuttle shift. I can feel it thunk a little when it pops into gear. I have to turn off the engine to turn the PTO on? if i try with the motor running- GGRRIINND! I thought you could just turn it on- i guess not. hmm. Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts