My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
That Guy
1,274 Posts
I saw the versa turf I like the tread pattern. Any experience with those? Also, this won't be for snow only, it will probably make its rounds in the woods/trails as well.
I have Versa Turfs on my 1025 and I absolutely love them; they'll being going into their 2nd winter on my Deere, clearing my driveway using a loader and Edge Tamers. I don't run chains on them, or have yet to need to anyhow- and I'm up here in Maine.

They've also proven themselves in mud for sure. My tractor had R4's on her feet when purchased, and that spring I got myself good and planted at least twice. Since switching to the Versa Turfs I've not been stuck. Knock on wood.

Now admittedly, there is a level of increased experience over time helping. 🤣

·
Registered
2013 Camaro 1LE
673 Posts
I saw the versa turf I like the tread pattern. Any experience with those? Also, this won't be for snow only, it will probably make its rounds in the woods/trails as well.
I haven’t used the versaturf, but believe they look similar. I run my HDAP all year - snow and mow. They work great and don’t tear the grass up.

·
Super Moderator
23,132 Posts
I suppose tires and weighted rear would contribute to broken axels,
Your explanation makes sense.thanks
My GT carried a minimum of 400 lb of ballast at all times, 650 lb most of the time, and occasionally 865 lb. It's done a cake walk (rear tires only on the ground (with my 185 lb neighbour standing in the FEL bucket while pulling a small birch tree out of the ground with no axle issues. Tractor weighed 2250 lb (FEL, back blade, and ballast) plus a 210 lb operator and the neighbour for 2645 lb on a final drive rated for max axle loading of 1500 lb.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have never heard any bad reviews of the versatracs but they have all been from guys with 4wd. I looked at them but worried about the tread design biased to forward motion. I have experienced more challenges with not enough traction backing up an incline than anywhere else. That wouldn’t be helped by that design. I really like the HDAP for an all year general use tire. I don’t think any tire will replace the effectiveness of chains in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: oefveteran

·
Three of my friends
9,267 Posts
My GT carried a minimum of 400 lb of ballast at all times, 650 lb most of the time, and occasionally 865 lb. It's done a cake walk (rear tires only on the ground (with my 185 lb neighbour standing in the FEL bucket while pulling a small birch tree out of the ground with no axle issues. Tractor weighed 2250 lb (FEL, back blade, and ballast) plus a 210 lb operator and the neighbour for 2645 lb on a final drive rated for max axle loading of 1500 lb.
Here’s one I was referring to.https://www.wfmachines.com/threads/jd-420-no-movement-except-when-diff-lock-is-engaged.60450/#post518162

·
Super Moderator
23,132 Posts
Here’s one I was referring to.https://www.wfmachines.com/threads/jd-420-no-movement-except-when-diff-lock-is-engaged.60450/#post518162
The last axle I saw that looked like that came out of my Chevy G20 van. The positrac locked up when I put it in a ditch. When the wrecker pulled me out, there was a loud BANG and the left tire was out past the body. I had the steering set to a slight left turn and when the right side tire hit the asphalt, the torque differential between the two tires snapped the axle in the same place as that tractor's.

Makes me think that maybe the damage was started previously when he was using the diff lock and it chose to complete the failure while he was mowing.

·
That Guy
1,274 Posts
Those look really good on the 1025r
Thank you! I'm extremely happy with them, they've thus far allowed me to put off buying weights and chains for any dirt and snow work. So far, anyhow!

Even, slowly, plowed some virgin soil into a garden. It took time for sure, but prior to the process I was sure I'd be buying wheel weights lol.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts