My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manufacturers always mention that the string will naturally advance on it's own due to the natural bumping motion against the ground during normal weed eating. It feels almost like good luck with that.

I don't weed eat to bump the ground and if I do soft bumps there are no guarantees that the string will advance anyways. I end up needing to bump it a bit harder in the middle of the grass which leaves a nasty 360 degree burn. I know I am not alone.

This pretty much goes for any weed eater I have used regardless of brand.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Some brands/models have the string really close to the ground so bumping can leave crop circles. I too, look for a safe place to bump, like the top of a rock, sidewalk edge, or stump. I had contemplated extending the bottom of the bump head to raise the string up but replaced the trimmer with one that doesn't have this problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never needed a rock or hard surface. Either user error or cheapo trimmer.
M18 Fuel and Stihl 40c. Don't think so. User error? How so? Gotta bump it somewhere and they both bump fine. Unfortunately I am usually a few hundred feet away from anything but grass.

·
Registered
88 Posts
M18 Fuel and Stihl 40c. Don't think so. User error? How so? Gotta bump it somewhere and they both bump fine. Unfortunately I am usually a few hundred feet away from anything but grass.
I only use grass, never cement/pavement. Either your technique is wrong or you arent loading the head correctly.

...5 Shindaiwas with speed loaders and a 52cc Baikal.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,068 Posts
I never bump on grass, as the grass I'm doing is typically long enough that it would noticeable where I did it. But I only use it along the edge of grass, so there generally is a spot in the adjacent area that it's safe to bump. And I'll start off trimming by bumping it, so most times I don't have to do it mid-job.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just rev it up and bump it on whatever ground I'm standing in. If it doesn't feed I smack it down a bit harder. This almost always works but if it still doesn't feed I just give it a few solid whacks until it does.

But mine is a Husqvarna. Not exactly an Echo or Stihl. However it has always started for me and worked fine in the 4 years I've owned it.

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
I have a Ryobi 18V weed eater and was bumping it all the time until I changed the line on it and realized it had no button. Instructions I never read (of course :p) said it advances the line when you let off the trigger. First I've seen that.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have a Husqvarna brush cutter with a string line head on it. Big puppy with the bicycle handlebars. Bump feed on the string head, works great, right up till I try to cut something to big. When that happens 90% of the time it is take head apart and use a pocket knife to separate the string because it has fused to the layer under the string that broke. But that said, it will walk right through stuff most string trimmers won't touch.
I have several places in my yard that are very steep. They do not get cut every time I mow my grass. Right now several of them are in the 3 to 4 foot tall weed range with all the rain we have been getting. Fall is close, so it is about time to mow them down before the leaves fall.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a Ryobi 18V weed eater and was bumping it all the time until I changed the line on it and realized it had no button. Instructions I never read (of course :p) said it advances the line when you let off the trigger. First I've seen that.
It's funny how my older cheapies would auto advance like that!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just rev it up and bump it on whatever ground I'm standing in. If it doesn't feed I smack it down a bit harder. This almost always works but if it still doesn't feed I just give it a few solid whacks until it does.

But mine is a Husqvarna. Not exactly an Echo or Stihl. However it has always started for me and worked fine in the 4 years I've owned it.
This is exactly what I do except for it being grass. From what I can see, my methodology and operation are normal for the environment.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I typically let off the throttle and while the rpm is low, I’ll bump it and hit the throttle on the rebound. It doesn’t leave a noticeable crop circle.
Perhaps I can work with this technique. I don't care about crop circles if they are hard to see but when I am trying to do a nice job in certain areas....meh.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts