My Tractor Forum banner

Snowpacolypse 2020 NW Arkansas Edition

10K views 75 replies 14 participants last post by  Steve Urquell 
#1 ·
It's coming down hard boys. Had to abandon the Jeep in the wilderness and walk home after getting stuck while going out for rations. Shelves nearly wiped clean of milk, bread, and eggs.
Tree Snow Winter Natural landscape Atmospheric phenomenon
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Off-road vehicle
Hope we can survive this. Wish me luck.

See less See more
#4 ·
60° here as well. Bike ride shortly. ? Very rare in January.
We're supposed to get this 1/10" of sleet and 1" of snow today and then warm to 50deg tomorrow. News has been covering it and breaking into shows with alerts and headlines "Potentially life-threatening weather pattern!!!" :D

#3 ·
60° here as well. Bike ride shortly. ? Very rare in January.

#7 ·
And we are about to get hit from the same storm that hit you, Steve Urquell. It's 75℉ now with a low of 58℉ tonight. Guess it's already killed 11 people across the southern states on it's way through.

Reactions: Steve Urquell
#9 ·
No, usually there there is several days warning before events like these happen. The day before is when I wander about the yard securing anything that may blow about. I shop for groceries once a month when I get paid with the SSD, and it's only the second week of the month and still have quite a bit left. I always have at least 10 gallons of filtered water on hand at any given time.
The largest unknown is the high winds that could take out a tree, or two, and maybe hitting the house.

#10 ·
No, usually there there is several days warning before events like these happen. The day before is when I wander about the yard securing anything that may blow about. I shop for groceries once a month when I get paid with the SSD, and it's only the second week of the month and still have quite a bit left. I always have at least 10 gallons of filtered water on hand at any given time.
The largest unknown is the high winds that could take out a tree, or two, and maybe hitting the house.
It was 60deg here yesterday. Storms hit and it looked like tornados. Sky was black as midnight at 1630. Torrential rains and high winds. We got lucky here and it skirted us. Its 25deg right now

#11 ·
Yeah, the tornado watches are up and imagine I'll get the reverse 911 sometime. This does appear to be a rather fast moving storm at around 45 mph, just that it is quite wide at around 100 miles.
We are going to be in the 70's for the next week, or so, and even into the 80's.

#12 ·
Well, that was a bit thrilling for about 20 minutes as the rain came down in waves horizontally. Because the clouds are so low, the thunderboomers light up the entire sky which are still going on.
It came through just after nightfall. Always fun to assess the damages the next day on the yard walk around.

#14 ·
Yeah, well this little storm is stretching from me all the way up and into Canada. Right around now it is hitting Cleveland and heading East so you will get to enjoy the rain, as well. The main storm has passed me with just occasional thunderboomers.

#24 ·
Its almost 70 degrees here not far from the Cape Cod canal!...was in the high 60's yesterday too,was cloudy all day though,and it poured overnight with winds gusting to 50 mph,now the sun is poking out--hoping the driveway will dry off before the sun sets so I can do some repair to my plow truck--its drivers side rear leaf spring hanger,the one closest to the fuel tank & cab,has rotted away so badly,it only had about 1" of steel left holding it together!--I was totally unaware it was THAT bad!..been driving it all over,and the roads here are terrible,potholes galore from the weird temperature swings..

I spent all day last Sunday drilling holes in the solid parts remaining of the hanger and bolted a thick cab mount I had off another truck I scrapped to the frame and the hanger, to cob it together good enough to prevent it from being totally torn off by potholes and remain driveable for local use,I want to add some more angle iron to beef it up---a new hanger is only available from 3 online sources,for over $100 each too--which I cant afford to get right away..spent 2 days searching junkyards,found a few that might survive being removed,but they also wanted $100 each to cut them off due to the amount of labor involved removing rivets and having to move a dozen vehicles in the way of the trucks..

I HATE rust and road salt!...every thing wrong with my truck is always a rust related issue,if it wasn't for that I'd never have to fix anything on it..being 35 years old,it is approaching its retirement to "yard plow truck" rather quickly..:(

#26 ·
Did the yard walk through this morning after the sun came up and was quite surprised that nothing was amiss. We got about an inch and a half of rain and other than being wet, it was all fine. Still rather cool out at around 75℉, but don't need the heavy clothing to go outside. Did make a surprising discovery of a quite large fire ant nest, have no idea how I missed it when I poisoned the other ones on Friday.

#31 ·
Been pretty mild in the valleys of SW Idaho this winter, massive snows in the mountains, where it belongs. Had to drive home 30 miles on the backroads in 1/2 of snow, not bad except for the 1/4 inch of ice underneath which made for a frightening 10 mph drive. But I made a meme, that’s what I do...
Chicken Bird Rooster Galliformes Photo caption

#32 ·
It's getting close to 80℉ here today. Gonna skip the mowing since the ground & grass is dripping wet and go for a pedal trike ride on some unpaved farm roads.

#34 ·
So Funny! I just returned from my daughters house in Fairbanks. Those people don't even put a coat on until it hits -20F, and then its a light jacket. LOL
We went to the fireworks New Years eve, it was -5 and there was a guy there in a short sleeve shirt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.