My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Got use to driving on it in North Dakota. Only thing the red river valley has practically no hill and the roads have few curves. Roadways even moved location during the winter. After a tractor trailer fell threw the packed snow into a potato field the DOT decided it was time to stake the roadway out with flags. Here if a snow flake fall someone is there to remove it and apply a deicer. Its to the extreme of just silly.
I was up there in December 2008ish visiting my brother in Fargo. The snowplows were out running the highway with flurries blowing around--no snow on the ground.

There was one S-curve in my brother's neighborhood, the only curve I saw in Fargo and no hills. Had about an inch of packed snow on it and cars were piling up on it non-stop. I couldn't believe it, figured people up there would know how to drive on snow. They wouldn't have made it 1/4 mile on AR hilly winter roads lol.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Snowing here just in time to make the drive in messy. Get to see how many of the new drivers crash. Supposed to turn to rain later today.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Oh, it was just horrible night before last when it got all the way down to 21℉! We didn't even break 50℉ all of yesterday. Woe is me! [sarc]

The highlight of the day was when the city came out to finally remove the sediment from the swale that has built up over the last 12+ years so the stormwater flows to the creek once again instead of flooding my new garden area. They did about a third of the 350 foot length and will be back today. Gulf Power is in the process of replacing the utility pole that was trashed by Michael in 2018.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Oh, it was just horrible night before last when it got all the way down to 21℉! We didn't even break 50℉ all of yesterday. Woe is me! [sarc]

The highlight of the day was when the city came out to finally remove the sediment from the swale that has built up over the last 12+ years so the stormwater flows to the creek once again instead of flooding my new garden area. They did about a third of the 350 foot length and will be back today. Gulf Power is in the process of replacing the utility pole that was trashed by Michael in 2018. View attachment 2444411
Thought you were kidding on the 21deg. I bet the natives were freaking out. My drive was nothing. Wet roads, 33-34deg.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The heck with the natives! This northern boy does not do cold weather, at all! Main reason I left those places where it has that white stuff. I figgered that after almost 60 years I was due some warmth. It's quite fine, really, I have more than enough projects to do inside the house.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
We are finally above freezing again its only been 5 days. It is cloudy, wet and nice a gloomy but its was that way so much last year it almost natural.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Ah, the fond memories of boot in Missouri in the fall & early winter. We had a slightly different name for it, though.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Supposed to be getting snow showers overnight into tomorrow's commute. I'm actually ready for a real snow here like we used to get. I kinda like it when stuff shuts down. Makes my drive in easy.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
We just had 2 days of rain here from the same system that's giving you the snow & ice, Steve Urquell. It started out in the Gulf of Mexico and stretched out to Canada then curled counterclockwise down into you there.

·
Ford Man
120 Posts
We've got 4 on the ground and still coming down. Not a snowplow in sight yet.
Paved roads out here are nice, but are harder to navigate through snow than a gravel road.
We can take the back way into town, which is gravel, but have a steep, curved hill to climb.
Even plowed, without 4x4, yer not gonna get up that hill.

So we just wait on the roads to be cleared before traveling....if we have to go in

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
New snow on the ground here also. Schools are all closed. We did our running yesterday so no reason to get out and about today.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Little light snow this morning but nothing but wet roads. We've been ~1-3 degrees above freezing with a lot of rain that would have been snow at 32F.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts