My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted up the 38" snowcaster that I bought for my 446 and am patiently awaiting snow. However I did notice one issue. The piece that is welded onto the lift arm that holds the chute control rod hits one of the pieces of the shroud on the engine. I can't think that this is by design so I am guessing my bracket might be bent but the weld looks factory. It just barely catches it when I raise and lower the blower.

Any thoughts?

If this isn't clear I can post up a pic tomorrow when the sun is back out.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
If it were me i would get out the heavy hammer for some precision adjustments. Kidding, yeah it might just be bent by a previous owner to suit where he wanted it. I would be careful but see if you can move the bracket to a place where the rod doesn't hit your shroud.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a couple pics of the issue:

First with the blower down, then with the blower up. You can see in the up pic that the rod just slightly touches the shroud and pushes it back just a tad.

If someone else could take a similar pic of their machine I would appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
I don't own an Onan powered tractor, but at first glance that shroud looks to be misaligned itself.

Maybe you could massage it into a better position to permit the operation of the lift arm, be careful and don't get the edge of it up against that hydraulic line though.

Heck I would even reshape it/chop it with a dremel. That's what I would do, others may have a more sensable solution.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
I agree with KD ... I would look to adjust the shroud first. I have never had an issue with a snow caster mounted to a 400/Onan tractor before, even though clearances there are not huge. Seems far more likely the shroud was bent ...

Brian

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
It looks to me as though the caster's lift arm is bent and I've seen that before. The caster's lift arm is a piece of pipe with the end of it crushed flat and a hole punched into it to accept the pin on the bell crank. The crushed end should be in perfect alignment with the rest of the pipe. That one looks like the crushed end is bent upward slightly. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo but it's something that could be looked at.

If I'm right, then heating that end to cherry red and then placing it quickly in a vice to gently tweak it back into alignment may solve this problem. If the bend does exist as I suspect, the bend is essentially shortening the lift arm and reducing the clearance under discussion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good eye on the bent rod. I can see how that could be the issue. I will attempt to rebend it today when I get some free time and reinstall it tonight.

The only issue I see in terms of rebending is that the clearance between the hydraulic line where it goes around the engine and the lift arm will be decreased and will most likely rub. Is that line supposed to be secured somewhere?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
rsla.
this one of the few times that castoff is wrong.
at this time i have a one owner N-84 on site ( mine)
also a one owner P 84 that i just purchased.

BOTH have the same up swing as shown in the pic.
look at the front of your machine, for bent parts or wrong washer location.
good luck. boomer

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
^ I have no idea of the correct configuration however, perhaps washers between the rock shaft plate and the the lift arm would move the lift arm outboard enough to create clearance for the shroud. ??

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
rsla.
this one of the few times that castoff is wrong.
at this time i have a one owner N-84 on site ( mine)
also a one owner P 84 that i just purchased.

BOTH have the same up swing as shown in the pic.
look at the front of your machine, for bent parts or wrong washer location.
good luck. boomer

As boomer well knows, I've been wrong in the past and I expect to be wrong in the future too. :fing20::fing32:

I think that the reason I'm wrong is that all the snowcasters I've had so far are J-models. I'll have to check the arms I have for the three J-models I still have but if memory serves me right, there is no bend like that. I just took a look at the parts book and it does show the bend in the arm. However, that's an updated parts book and it covers every blower from the J-model to the S-model. I'll post back here again once I get up to the storage module and check those arms. Now... I am bugged over this. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ruh roh. I bent it straight already. It does look though like mine had a bit more bend than the other rod posted. I guess I will give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Banned
11 Posts
ruh roh. I bent it straight already. It does look though like mine had a bit more bend than the other rod posted. I guess I will give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

rut roh is right. Did you use heat to bend it? See if you can get it bent back to the right position and if not then send it to me and I will correct it so it looks like mine. :trink40:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Ya .... no reason to panic on this one. Snow is still a long way off. Let's see how the straightened arm works for you first. As for that hose, perhaps a couple of well-placed zip ties will pull it back.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We might all be right the more that I look at it. The bar that Marine posted is definitely different than mine. His squashed portion is all planar. Mine is parallel to the tractor for a bit and then angles a bit while still squashed before it opens back up into tube. I will take a pic of it in the morning. It is at school hanging after being painted.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
We might all be right the more that I look at it. The bar that Marine posted is definitely different than mine. His squashed portion is all planar. Mine is parallel to the tractor for a bit and then angles a bit while still squashed before it opens back up into tube. I will take a pic of it in the morning. It is at school hanging after being painted.
Hey rslaback,
let me explain what I meant about the shroud and trimming.

First, If you rebend the shroud on that corner or at the bottom to allow the rod arm to clear, it may get the edge of the shroud very close to the hydraulic line.
When the pressure in that line changes it will sometimes move a little, figure in the vibration of the engine and shroud, and it could wear through the line over time. Consider that a Fail. We don't want that.

Next, I would trim the shroud itself to remove any metal that could contact the line by hollowing/recessing it out with a small grinder wheel. ( I wouldn't recommend tin snips)

From the looks of your photos, this is a working tractor and asthetics are secondary to function when you are working your power equipment. Most should agree..

So.....make the shroud your putty and reshape it.

I certainly do not want to offend you man, but WHY :bonk: would you have the snowcaster painted before you have made the final adjustments to the brace, or to the shroud.

That shroud is going to chew up some paint the first time you operate the arm without having good clearance?

Basicly, you'll need to wrap that shroud to conform to the shape of the block's heatsink. with uniform clearance in relation to the block, not touching it of course. Probably a little around the side, and some on the bottom, and dress it off nice with some insurance hydraulic line clearance at the bottom.

I'm telling ya man, this outta fix ya right up.:fing32:

·
Banned
11 Posts
Here is a few more pics of the rod on my snowcaster. Hope this helps you figure out whats going on. Dont mind the messy snowcaster. I pulled it outside last week to make room in my shed for a new toy and I cant put it back by myself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drew, 2 reasons.

1. When I heated it to bend it I had to remove quite a bit of paint that was going to burn off when I heated the rod. I figured I may as well take the rest off and paint it while I was at it.

2. I thought I was done. It seemed pretty solid that the rod would be straight. Once the rod was straight why not paint it? If it needed tweaked a bit that could have certainly be done after painting.

In terms of the tractor being a worker, for now it is and that is the history it has had. However currently the deck is in pieces getting a blasting, paint and bearings. Someday the tractor will as well.

In terms of the shroud being in the wrong place I would really like to see some pics from someone else's machine before I trim it. The piece the bracket hits sits perfectly vertical, sticks out the same on both sides of the engine and has the same distance between the engine and itself on both the left and right side. Just looking at it without anything to compare it to, it looks like it should be there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a shot of the rockshaft end of the lift arm from my snowcaster. Note the difference in the squashed part. There are apparently at least two types of lift arms. There may be other differences or they may be identical, but there are definitely two versions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts