My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are Snowboy snowblowers worth? I was offered one for what looks like a good price. Already got a antique snowblower but dought its worth anywhere near as much.

·
Chris Schick
173 Posts
Do you know what model# snowboy you are being offered. Mainly the snowblowers were for the most part the same but there can be some unique differences that might change the price a little. I would like to know the model number before I can really give you a good idea.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the model number, but was told its a '59

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
I got mine for 100 , but it was from a good friend!

·
Chris Schick
173 Posts
If it is a '59 model that is the first year and should be gold in color. The model number will be stamped into a round tag located on the frame. If the machine is in showroom condition I have seen them bring 500.00 easily. If it is a machine that has been used and has sat for several years and not been started and needs restored then I would say that $100.00 would be a fair price. If the machine is in running condition then it will or should bring more money than that. You will always run across deals now and then where you might be able to find one for less but they are getting rare.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Id say offer about 50-100 depending on condition. And they are getting pretty rare!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys,
Total newbie here...Not trying to hijack a thread but I have a couple of Snow Boy questions which is the title of this thread. I just picked up a (I was told) 1962 Snow Boy for $25. Had been sitting for years. The motor is blue and the rest of the machine is a reddish orange. The paint looks to be original, although most of it was gone from the motor cover, so I got as close as I could to the original blue. I left the rest alone after buffing and waxing. It is a model 1818. Anyhow, the questions I have are ....How do you adjust the chain tension? The chain is a bit sloppy on it and I don't have a service manual. Second question is ...Is there an adjustment on the handle bars, the handle bar sits so low in the rest position that the chute crank rod sits on top of the motor. It does run really well! Neat little machine! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only $25 ? You got yourself an awesome deal. Haven't seen any snowblowers anywhere near that cheap in months. The 1818 was made in 1963. It you need a exploded diagram of it, you can find one in the following link. https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=LawnBoy I never owned a snowboy, but from looking at some picture I saw of snowboys during restoration, it looks like you loosen the engine mounting bolts and support brackets and then slide the engine back. I don't think the handle bars are adjustable. On lawnmowers, the handle bars form small groves were they sit and over time the bars sit lower and lower. If you have a welder, you can fill in the groves. Did that a one of my mowers and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Only $25 ? You got yourself an awesome deal. Haven't seen any snowblowers anywhere near that cheap in months. The 1818 was made in 1963. It you need a exploded diagram of it, you can find one in the following link. https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=LawnBoy I never owned a snowboy, but from looking at some picture I saw of snowboys during restoration, it looks like you loosen the engine mounting bolts and support brackets and then slide the engine back. I don't think the handle bars are adjustable. On lawnmowers, the handle bars form small groves were they sit and over time the bars sit lower and lower. If you have a welder, you can fill in the groves. Did that a one of my mowers and it made a big difference.
Thanks Packrat! Yes it was a good deal. Guy got it from a guy who bought it from an estate sale, probably paid 5 bucks for it. It had been sitting for years. I saw it on Craigslist. The little chain guard that covers the drive sprocket is missing, but I think I can fab a new one up. I'll try loosening up the motor and pulling it back. See how that works!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts