My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
I've found that there's no such thing as too much lube on chutes, controls and cables. This is from too many years of experience with multiple machines, from several manufacturers.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Um..... Is there a wrong way???

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Gotcha. User manuals are your friend...

Mike

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
Gotcha. User manuals are your friend...

Mike
My user manual simply says “To change the direction in which snow is thrown, squeeze the button on the joystick and pivot the joystick to the right or to the left.”

I hold this from the back with my index finger wrapped around the button because I assume that is how it is designed. Depressing the trigger is difficult (lots of play before engagement) and pivoting is a bear due to leverage. Maybe this guy’s method will work better for me.

As an aside, a good 25% of the manual is devoted to five various chute assembly instructions.

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
That was (mostly) a joke. I know that, especially in the past decade or more, not all user manuals are created equal.

They seem to be at least 50%, and usually 75% or more, written in other languages. On top of that, they seem to want to use as little paper as possible (ironic, since they could save a lot by sending paper manuals only for a country's official language, with the rest available on a CD and online).

Then, of course, you get the newest ones that try to avoid using words at all, and the 2-D diagrams aren't easily deciphered for a 3-D world.

I'm sure there's an army of corporate bean counters who would say the cost and logistics of making and shipping thoroughly written, country-dedicated product manuals would cost too much; but hey, why let customer satisfaction and future purchases get in the way of a quick extra ten cents now?

As much as I hate this idea {because I'm a paper-loving guy when it's time to do actual work/repairs in the garage (or yard)}, I'd settle for no paper manuals, if the online ones were written more thoroughly, instead of being an electronic copy of the garbage in the box...

Mike

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
That was (mostly) a joke. I know that, especially in the past decade or more, not all user manuals are created equal.

Too true. And had I actually gone through all the literature that came with my folks’ tiller it would have saved a lot of trial-and-error usage back when it was new!

What I’ve picked up, here in the forums, is to download manuals where and while you can. The iPad will save them to the books app, and for my snowblower I have the three important documents I might need:
- Blower operation manual
- Engine maintenance manual
- Illustrated parts list for the entire machine

81 - 88 of 88 Posts