My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... so 20 years ago I picked up a small 5hp 22" MTD blower for the drive. Ive beat the tar out of it and totaly abused it over the years, but sence then we have sold that house, and moved to a house with a HUGE drive!! Also its getting tired... Im sick of rebuilding/replacing carbs on the old snowking engine, and frankly the things just too small...

So now we are shopping for somehting in the 30" range. So far I have looked at a few box store ones. A troybuilt 357cc 30" and one like it at HD but forget the brand right now. Anyways... most are in the $1000 range... What other models are worth checking out? I dont want to spend a ton... but I want something that will hold up also. What about this joystick chute control? Seems kinda strange using it. how does it work in the real world?

So lets hear all your advice!!!

·
Administrator
12,567 Posts
Ariens , Husquvarna , same machines I hear, seem to be well built but I don't know the price range. I see alot of them around here. Good luck with the search...

How about a 37 blower for the JD 110?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
While I am not familar with Snowblowers in general, I always liked the look of the Honda munderhill had that was tracked. He seemed to be very happy with it. :trink40:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
IMO, tracked snowblowers are a PIA. I used to have to run 1 for the company I worked for. Was a Honda too.. Ariens Deluxe with the traction lock handle would be best, but if you needed to go down in price, the Ariens 28 compact or Sno Tek 28 would do pretty good, just both wheels would be locked all the time or, you would have no traction if you left 1 wheel unlocked ( pin thru the axle and not wheel ).. I just got a sno tek 24 to replace a few old Gilsons, and as a review on how easy they are to start ( 208 CC LCT ). takes about 3 primings, and full choke, 4 pulls. fairly easy to start, but in comparison, the 8hp Briggs&Stratton on my best operating Gilson took turning the gas on, full choke and 2 pulls to start. Both started the same day, same conditions and it was an early morning

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
My neighbor is going thru the same discussions for a new blower. The wife will be running it, so she has final okay on it.
They're discussing their choices with me, don't know why. Only input thing I suggested was to make sure that it can be serviced locally,and that the service guy has a way to come get the machine when it won't run. The neighbors don't have a trailer nor a pickup truck, at present time.
They're clearing a 120 ft long x 12 ft wide driveway, and we're in 'blue' snow country.
Initially, he wanted a tractor so he could mow the lawn (has lawn service now), could put a snow plow on it, tow around a yard trailer, and possibly run a tiller. Once I showed him the 'damage' that spinning chains do on an asphalt driveway, the tractor went to the back burner.
They're looking at Snapper and Ariens walk behinds.

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
I don't care for the newer Husqvarnas. They are NOT the same as Ariens. I believe a wheeled Ariens is the way to go too. The trigger locking hubs would be a great feature for your wife, makes turning it easier. I wish my Ariens 28" DLE had it. A joystick is a gimmick and one more thing to fail in the snow.

Option two is to get a tractor mounted blower for the drive and keep your old walk behind for the places the tractor blower can't go, paths, between cars, etc.

·
Super Moderator
31,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a blower for the old JD but the wife doesn't REALY like it. As far as servicing I can fix about anything myself, but agree with her about getting something new so maybe I get a few years without having to repair it.

I'm liking the ariens 30" delux. Just gotta check pricing to see how much over box store price it is

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
I have a blower for the old JD but the wife doesn't REALY like it. As far as servicing I can fix about anything myself, but agree with her about getting something new so maybe I get a few years without having to repair it.

I'm liking the ariens 30" delux. Just gotta check pricing to see how much over box store price it is
Does the deluxe have the free wheel triggers? I had my 28" without the free wheeling feature out yesterday. I had forgotten what a bear it is to turn.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
the deluxe series has a traction lock. 1 wheel freewheels unless the traction lock handle is pulled. I think the pro series has the power steering

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
A higher-end Simplicity built Snapper is another option. I would avoid any box store snowblower. Buy it from a dealer. A ten year old (or so) Snapper built Snapper or Ariens is a much better machine than you can buy today. I would also steer clear of Toro, they are excessively complicated and the models change every few years. If you've ever worked on their Power Shift machine, it could make poor old Rube Goldberg turn over in his grave.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
My neighbors informed me today that they've made the leap, and it should be here in 3 - 6 weeks. The local dealer is sold out right now, there is a waiting list, but a shipment is due in.
They went for the one that the wheels are not locked together, kinda independent with the ac electric start accessory. No specific brand mentioned.
They visited the big box stores, and smaller area dealers. Spent quite a few hours talking and trying out. Then they asked, who does the servicing when it breaks down. That narrowed down the list of purchase sites from about 8 or 9 to 3.
Then the actual 'hands on' test drive, with delivery and set up on site, with 'free' portable fuel tank, eventually sealing the deal.
Any bets if we get snow this winter?

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
They went for the one that the wheels are not locked together, kinda independent with the ac electric start accessory
I don't even know if my electric start works. The Ariens always starts on the first or second pull (looking for wood to knock on).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Ariens is the way to go, imo.
I whole heartedly agree.

I don't care for the newer Husqvarnas. They are NOT the same as Ariens. I believe a wheeled Ariens is the way to go too. The trigger locking hubs would be a great feature for your wife, makes turning it easier. I wish my Ariens 28" DLE had it. A joystick is a gimmick and one more thing to fail in the snow.
Their not the same. Sadly, I believe MTD bought out most of if not all of the Husky brand, and have pretty much ruined the brands good name. I have 2 ariens blowers now, one small 2 stroke paddle single stage blower for the walks. It's 8 or 10 years old now, and works like a champ, never a problem. My big machine replaced a 25 year old Ariens, that just wore itself out, but never actually broke. It just became too banged up to deal with anymore, and I let it go. I'm an Ariens fan for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Two years ago I was looking for a new one for my dad and I told him to get the Cub. its the 528 28" 305cc works great . went through two feet of snow beat on it and its still runs like new. start on a half pull. Never used the elec. start on it. Its got two years of use still looks new. the stick it good to use. u have to get used to it and the tranny lock 0 turn is a most!!! If u have a big driveway get something with a least a 305cc or better. Ariens are great but do not have big motors so in heavey snow they do not work well. well thats what I have seen from people on my road. im the only one with the cub and i have no problems heavey snow ice what ever it is.

I just bought my own snowblower last month. have not used it haha. I looked around for a month again and ended up getting the cub 530 30" with a 357cc heater hanldes and the stick works better then my dads.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts