My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question about my 445, when operating the blower? Every time I hit the reverse pedal the blower stops operating, is that normal. I was wondering if it was the rio switch (reverse implement option) that should have been replaced with a rip switch (reverse implement position) instead? It is a pain in the drain every time you hit the reverse to back-up, you have to take time to push the pto switch down, then wait a second and pull the switch back up to start the pto for the blower to work then move forward blowing snow. My buddy with a 455 says that is not normal because his stays engaged weather he goes forward or reverse. Some feed back please, thanks dan

·
Registered
615 Posts
I know my 445 when you want to back up with the deck engaged you have to pull up on the pto switch in order to backup with the deck still running. I would expect the blower to be the same.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Pull up on the pto switch BEFORE touching the reverse pedal and the pto will stay engaged.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Pull up on the pro switch before you hit the pedal. Then you can let it go as long as you are on the pedal

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,542 Posts
Definitely sounds like a RIO issue. Deere doesn't make bypass switches and we aren't allowed to talk about it anyway. Sounds like your friend's 455 has had the RIO bypassed (I assume it has one???)...

·
Premium Member
10,110 Posts
Do the RIO switches on modern Deeres all work this way? If so, I have to say that Craftsman/AYP/Husqvarna has it all over Deere in this one feature. I'm glad I have a Craftsman for snow blowing. I just set the RIO switch to reverse operation once and I'm good until I turn the engine off again. With all the back and forth required for snow removal I can't imagine having to lift a switch up every time I reverse.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,547 Posts
Definitely sounds like a RIO issue. Deere doesn't make bypass switches and we aren't allowed to talk about it anyway. Sounds like your friend's 455 has had the RIO bypassed (I assume it has one???)...
Not sure when (what model year) JD introduced the RIO, but it was mid-run of the 4x5 series. My 1996 445 did not have the RIO, and believe it or not, I neither backed over a pet nor small child with either deck or any other PTO device operating during all 14 years of service.
Call me lucky! My wife does.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Guess I'll be in luck this winter with my new to me 455. Serial # in the 62000 range with the model 47 blower. IF we get any snow.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is a bit of an old thread, but on a related note...

When using my new to me 46 ss blower with my x728 I noticed the PTO disengages not only when attempting to move in reverse (normal) but also when I raise the blower with the hydraulic lever. Is this normal?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmmm. I will have to recheck. It seems to be somewhat inconsistent. Maybe it just seemed to be related to the hydraulics because I raise the blower every time I back up so the RIO is what is really killing the PTO.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,918 Posts
Hmmm. I will have to recheck. It seems to be somewhat inconsistent. Maybe it just seemed to be related to the hydraulics because I raise the blower every time I back up so the RIO is what is really killing the PTO.
That sounds realistic. There's not any kind of a direct link between the hydraulic levers and any kind of a switch that would kill the PTO.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks Diesel! Enjoy your restore project.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That sounds realistic. There's not any kind of a direct link between the hydraulic levers and any kind of a switch that would kill the PTO.
Yep, checked it out today. Keeps running when lifted, shuts down in reverse just like its designed. Thanks for the info! :thanku:

·
Suspension Seat Guy
97 Posts
Not sure when (what model year) JD introduced the RIO, but it was mid-run of the 4x5 series. My 1996 445 did not have the RIO, and believe it or not, I neither backed over a pet nor small child with either deck or any other PTO device operating during all 14 years of service.
Call me lucky! My wife does.
I see a common theme. I haven't reversed over a pet or small child either... But my 2011 doesn't have RIO either!

·
lexmark
944 Posts
I have 2 445's neither shut off while backing up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts