My Tractor Forum banner

1141 - 1159 of 1159 Posts
2,179 Posts
Today it was nice and sunny 51, Friday gets colder with 1 or 2 inches of snow, then some late morning sleet, then some evening freezing rain, then some late evening ice. Sunday morning everything melts away with highs in the 40's.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Got another 2-3" of snow last night, and after fixing a flat on my trailer (stripped off the tire valve with a wheel lock that I forgot I put on and moved it into my garage) I did my rounds for snow removal. Just a couple of degrees makes a difference for my plow. -32C, and it doesn't quite crank over fast enough, but -28C, and she starts right up.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,144
I've had that same experience. Tractors that have just refused to start if kept outside, start perfectly well if kept in the garage...

We got some flurries last night, just enough to leave wispy trails on the road in all the wind. It looked like sand being blown around on a beach.

Very windy today, expecting gusts over 40 mph. Temp dropped to mid-teens (F) overnight, so the furnace has been working overtime...

Mike

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
928 Posts
6-10" supposed to start this afternoon. I'm ready.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,146
LOVE that machine, Jay!

Mike

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,232 Posts
we got 7 inches of snow..

2,179 Posts
Got another 2-3" of snow last night, and after fixing a flat on my trailer (stripped off the tire valve with a wheel lock that I forgot I put on and moved it into my garage) I did my rounds for snow removal. Just a couple of degrees makes a difference for my plow. -32C, and it doesn't quite crank over fast enough, but -28C, and she starts right up.
Mann, That is cold up there.That is, I think like 20 below zero Farenheit. That is real cold Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Mann, That is cold up there.That is, I think like 20 below zero Farenheit. That is real cold Dave.
Yeah, I think I have some mild frostbite on the back of my hands, as I had to do some work without gloves on for a bit. And one of the homes I do snow removal for, has a entry gate with a keypad that keeps freezing up.

But things are looking up. On Monday, we could be getting freezing rain. Actually, I would rather it be really cold vs getting rain/snow right around the freezing mark, as then it's snow removal AND then clearing/chipping ice.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I've not stepped outside yet this morning but it's looking like about 10 inches of the white stuff. Weather prognosticators are saying another inch or two today. At least it isn't too cold at -7C.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,152
We're in an opposite pattern. It's been windy and cold, down to the lower teens (F) overnight and this morning. The winds have died down, and it's supposed to slowly warm all day, into the upper 20s, and start snowing at around 5PM.

Problem is, it's going to keep getting warmer (mid-30s) as the storm passes. We're supposed to get 2-5 inches of snow, with a change to rain overnight, which means cleanup tomorrow is going to SUCK!!!!!

Supposed to get cold again afterwards, so I can't just leave it and let it melt away...

Mike

·
15,000 +posts!
19,652 Posts
I'm praying only the 1-3" predicted for my area comes true,because my plow truck had its drivers side rear leaf spring hanger rot almost completely off last week,the one closest to the cab..only about an inch of steel left of the front side was still attached ,and was ready to tear off on the next pothole!..

I knew it had SOME rot when I last inspected it back in July,it didn't look THAT bad--but it had simply crumbled away all the way around the flange where it rivets to the frame,except for that 1" hunk left intact....I spent 2 long days drilling rivets out of the rear facing side of the hanger ,so I could bolt a hunk of angle iron to the frame and bolt it to what little solid metal was left where the hanger bolts to the spring..it was a miracle it didn't come apart,and I've driven the truck well over 1000 miles since its last inspection in July..at least now it "might" not rip off,but I do not trust driving it very far,or fast..

Also,the minute I began drilling out the rivets--the diesel fuel tank a foot away started dripping fuel,it is rusted right under the strap holding it to the frame brackets--I had to put a catch pail under it,and about 3 gallons has leaked out,of course it was JUST filled the day before and I'd only driven it maybe 10 miles..so that nixed using torches or a grinder to get the rivets off!..
I now feel like I've had a few heart attacks after lying under it several days drilling and trying to cob it back together good enough to at least plow my driveway with it..(IF the diesel will even start after it dipping to 10 degrees last night,which I doubt)..

Only 3 places list a new spring hanger for that position an '82 GMC 4x4 online,no parts stores can get one,and though I did find a few in junkyards that "might" survive being removed,they wanted $100 to take one off,and the ones online sell for just under $100,so I'm not going to waste money on rusted used parts..now it needs a new fuel tank too--and even with both parts replaced,the truck still needs a lot more ,and probably isn't worth the price of the parts if I decided to sell it..the frame also had some small holes and a few cracks in it that should be patched up too,and I'd have to take the bed off it to do any welding--the bed is pretty much junk too..it may end up just being a "yard truck" now,I'm losing the ability to work on it,I'm too old to be doing this crap any more..:(

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
We're in an opposite pattern. It's been windy and cold, down to the lower teens (F) overnight and this morning. The winds have died down, and it's supposed to slowly warm all day, into the upper 20s, and start snowing at around 5PM.

Problem is, it's going to keep getting warmer (mid-30s) as the storm passes. We're supposed to get 2-5 inches of snow, with a change to rain overnight, which means cleanup tomorrow is going to SUCK!!!!!

Supposed to get cold again afterwards, so I can't just leave it and let it melt away...

Mike
Our conditions are very similar to yours. we're expecting 3-8" of light, fluffy snow that I will wake up to in the morning. The rain is supposed to snap over to clear skies almost as soon as it starts here. And you're right, clean it up tomorrow because what ever is left is going to freeze solid on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
26,381 Posts

Mike
Mike, they changed our forecast to be more like yours and freezing rain had been coming down for about an hour.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,157 (Edited)
It's been snowing here since around 4:30, really hasn't amounted to much yet. Looks like it's supposed to turn to ice soon, and end by 2am. May not actually get rain here. Who knows???

Here's a few pics from earlier, when I wrapped up after a long day of working outside (moving pallets, burning brush, splitting and stacking firewood).

Mike
20200118_180744.jpg
20200118_175503.jpg
20200118_174848.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,159
We got around 3-4 inches, but it looks like it stayed as snow all the way to the end. Should make cleanup a lot easier.

I'll try to get some pics up later. Lots of football today (kids this morning, NFL playoffs later).

Mike

1141 - 1159 of 1159 Posts