My Tractor Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1370 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,455 Posts
We got about 1" overnight here,it was sunny by daylight and temps hit 40 above,so about 3/4 of the driveway melted off,but what is still left now wont be going anywhere till Friday,Thursday is supposed to be only 30 for a high temp and very windy,gusts over 40 mph expected..but Friday,Saturday and possibly Sunday are predicted to hit the 60's ,but remain cloudy..so I'm not going to bother doing any snow removal..I'll let mother nature do it..she brought it,she can take it away!..

·
Super Moderator
32,019 Posts
Well so far from this "Lake Effect" storm we've gotten about 3 inches. Not much considering that these can sometimes bring 15 - 20 inches of snow.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
352 Posts
We’ve had 8 - 10” today, + 3-4” yesterday. I fought with the atv plow mount with a propane torch to melt ice off, and then spent 90 minutes plowing

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Woke up to -32C this morning. It's been gradually warming since to -17C at present and should get up to single digits tomorrow with maybe an inch of snow.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Woke up to what looks like 4 - 6 inches of snow. Too much to just plow it. I will see when I get out there what challenge the wind will be when snow throwing.

·
Super Moderator
11,941 Posts
Conditions like this remind me of why I finally (after years) broke down and picked up a used cab that I could modify for my tractor.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129
I know there are cabs for a walk-behind snow thrower but I've resisted getting one.
I bought a (soft) cab with my first tractor-mounted blower. Aside from only having three sides (Sears left the back open in their infinite wisdom), it's priceless.

A few years later, I added one to my walk-behind (an OTC cab for a Honda blower). Definitely better than nothing, but it's really more of a shield than a cab. Really only protects your face and upper body, and not well if it's windy (the sides don't extend back far enough). Still wouldn't want to go back to no cab...

Mike

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
The thing is that I wrestle with the walk-behind and turn in tight spaces so I am not always in between the two handles. The cab very much restrains you to stay between the handles. Then also I store it in tight quarters and the cab would get in the way.

I'm pretty much done snow clearing and as usual, the wind was not in my favor.

·
Premium Member
9,625 Posts
I bought a (soft) cab with my first tractor-mounted blower. Aside from only having three sides (Sears left the back open in their infinite wisdom), it's priceless.

A few years later, I added one to my walk-behind (an OTC cab for a Honda blower). Definitely better than nothing, but it's really more of a shield than a cab. Really only protects your face and upper body, and not well if it's windy (the sides don't extend back far enough). Still wouldn't want to go back to no cab...

Mike
The 3-sided Craftsman was my first cab. As I was mounting it I thiught this thing is useless. Then I climbed inside. It was cramped, dark and hard to see out of, but it was glorious. From that moment on I have always had a cab. No wind blown in the face and all over the controls, just body heat keeps me comfortable, and there is always the thrill of the hunt for an upgrade!

3,178 Posts
The thing is that I wrestle with the walk-behind and turn in tight spaces so I am not always in between the two handles. The cab very much restrains you to stay between the handles. Then also I store it in tight quarters and the cab would get in the way.

I'm pretty much done snow clearing and as usual, the wind was not in my favor.
It would be nice to leave the snow cab on the walk behind but in my case it takes up too much room as well. I'm lucky I can store in the garage with two cars. It gets in the way when turning and maneuvering like you say. I just wait until it stops snowing before I use the snow blower. In most cases I don't even use it. The snow we get, melts in a day or two. I think I use it maybe once a year or not at all. Mine does have power steering, head light, and hand warmers which is nice.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,133
Cold (low 30s), wet (heavy mist and fog) and windy here this morning. Pretty miserable weather.

Looking at a wet mix coming at us for Saturday afternoon and overnight, with a deep freeze into the single digits early next week.

Still not looking at anything plowable until possibly next weekend.

Mike

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,580 Posts
2-6" predicted here for Saturday night into Sunday. Should make for some good seat time.

·
Premium Member
9,625 Posts
Cold (low 30s), wet (heavy mist and fog) and windy here this morning. Pretty miserable weather.

Looking at a wet mix coming at us for Saturday afternoon and overnight, with a deep freeze into the single digits early next week.

Still not looking at anything plowable until possibly next weekend.

Mike
I plowed this morning. Granted, it was only one wet sticky inch but I got to try out the new blade. The 66" blade clears a lot faster than the 54". I kinda did a number on the soft lawn next to the driveway as I'm not quite used to this behemoth yet.

We're expecting 4" overnight Saturday, but it's a complicated weather pattern and I think it's going to fizzle out.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
The 66" blade clears a lot faster than the 54".
I had a choice of a 48" or a 60" Swisher blade. Since the Husqvarna blade OEM'd by Kova is a 48" I was worried that 60" might be too much for it so I opted for the 48". Now that I see how strong the R322TX can push, I regret not getting the 60". They had it on clearance for half price but now it's back to full retail.

·
Super Moderator
11,941 Posts
As of now, snow beginning Sat. afternoon, but then changing to rain sometime Sat. night. Then maybe back to snow for a brief period. Maybe 2 inches total. My tractors are not liking this.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,580 Posts
Thanks, Dave. Woke up to 2" of heavy slush this morning. Not good for blowing but it warmed up to 40° and it all disappeared. For us, the real winter begins tonight with much lower temps than we've seen in awhile.

1121 - 1140 of 1370 Posts