My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

· Registered
JD X540
233 Posts
Well you asked for thoughts. Yes the 700 series tractors are great machines, particularly the awd. I would be more inclined to save money. I cannot for the life of me imagine needing the complications of 4 wheel steer for blowing a straight driveway, indeed any driveway. So that removes the need for a X585 as well.
My neighbor has a X595 4wd, forerunner of the 700 series. He takes the deck off and puts the blower on and done.....no chains or weights. Me X540, I uses chains and suitcase weights for a similar driveway. Neither of us have any issues in the last decade or so.
If it were me I would get a X590 which gives you EFI. Put chains and 4 suitcase weights on it, call it a day. With the savings perhaps invest in a nice cab for the machine.......not needed..... but up to you.

Good luck

· Registered
4,716 Posts
I am definitely not an expert on ice particle management and have no desire to become one, but it seems climate change is going to make me rethink that or move.

I say ice particle because snow is not a very descriptive word. When you say snow, people get a picture in their mind, but it likely isn't the same one. 2 feet of Rocky Mountain powder is easy to move with a blade or pusher. 6 inches of Cascade Concrete not so much.

The first time I used the 54 blade on my X749 it was the 2 feet of powder. It was easy and fun and I almost believed the people who say the AWD X700 series machines are unstoppable. The next time was 6" of Cascade Concrete. It took every bit of my (admittedly limited) driving skill to keep from getting stuck. I have over a 1/4 mile of gravel driveway, with parts having no space for a shoulder of any kind and edges that rise up with significant slope. The main driveway has about 10° of slope, so quite challenging for traction.

I have a CUT with a loader. One year, I used it, but it was very hard, took a long time, wasn't fun, and wrecked the driveway some. The next year I got Edge Tamers. The definitely help with not messing up the driveway, bit the rest of the problems are the same.

This is one of the reasons I got the X749 and 54 blade. I was concerned about snowblowing rocks and figured the plow would be better. It is much better than using a loader, but it looks like a blower is in my future. I think the blower will work better to remove the bulk of large drops and I plan on putting the skids down low to keep the rocks out. The plow works well for smaller amounts and other uses, so I am glad I have it.

If you get a 1 series machine, it uses the same blower so it won't work better or worse. It doesn't have AWS or even AWD so it definitely isn't as agile as my X749. For my property that matters a lot, maybe not for yours.

Physically the 1 series and X700 are very close, but the 1 series is bulkier and you sit up higher. That has advantages, but definitely much more pucker factor on a side slope. I notice the difference between my X300, X534, and X749. My CUT is even taller than the 1 series. I definitely felt unsafe on a side slope of even 10°, so I got wheel spacers. They helped, but when I took one wheel off it felt really light. Turns out the dealer never filled it. Once I got it filled, it helped a lot, but there are still significant differences in feel (at least) between it and the other machines. It also does a lot of damage to grass after just about 4 passes. It does grow back and I don't have fine lawn so it works well enough for me.

· Registered
22’ JD X330 48”Deck/44”Blower
48 Posts
I have about 300 feet of winding gravel driveway that goes up about 20 feet in elevation. About 100 feet of flat gravel parking area that’s a bit over 30’ wide, and another 100 feet that goes downhill another 6 feet to the storage/tool shed (5 acre property/walkout bungalow).

My little X330 with 44” snowblower, tire chains and 4 suitcase weights on the back works like a Champ! I could have bought a larger X500 series tractor (for twice the price) but I only need to get 4 years out of this one before we sell everything and retire. 300 hour/4 year warranty is perfect for me, I will likely only see 50 hours/year. (currently at 33 hours since May 22’) just outside Edmonton, Alberta 🇨🇦 , we get powder snow and temperatures as cold as -40 degrees. 🥶

View from the range road at the highest elevation looking down towards the parking area
(note green garbage bin location for reference)

Snow Branch Slope Natural landscape Tree

Tire Vehicle Wheel Snow Motor vehicle

Cloud Sky Plant Snow Building

Wheel Tire Vehicle Snow Automotive tire

Snow Vehicle Freezing Tree Sky

Plant Building Sky Window Snow

5 acre property with a bit over 3 acres of grass to cut in the Summer.
48” deck takes care of it in a bit over two hours. The back yard is the largest, but dead flat.
If you can afford more tractor and think you need it, by all means open your wallet. But I think you can probably get away with way less tractor than many of the recommendations here.

· Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
6,152 Posts
I have about 300 feet of winding gravel driveway that goes up about 15’ in elevation. About 100 feet of flat gravel parking area that’s 36’ wide, and another 100 feet that goes downhill slightly to the storage/tool shed (5 acre property).

My little X330 with 44” snowblower, tire chains and 4 suitcase weights on the back works like a Champ! I could have bought a larger X500 series tractor (for twice the price) but I only need to get 4 years out of this one before we sell everything and retire. 300 hour/4/year warranty is perfect for me, I will likely only see 50 hours/year. (currently at 33 hours since May 22’) Edmonton, Alberta 🇨🇦

View from the range road at the highest elevation looking down towards the parking area (note green garbage bin)

View attachment 2578077

View attachment 2578080

View attachment 2578078

View attachment 2578079

View attachment 2578083

View attachment 2578084

5 acre property with a bit over 3 acres of grass to cut in the Summer. 48” deck takes care of it in a bit over two hours.
If you can afford more tractor and think you need it, by all means open your wallet. But I think you can probably get away with way less tractor than many of the recommendations here.
Awesome property! Love that house! But with 5 acres I would have a bit bigger tractor. ;)

· Registered
22’ JD X330 48”Deck/44”Blower
48 Posts
Awesome property! Love that house! But with 5 acres I would have a bit bigger tractor. ;)
The actual grass area isn’t anywhere near 5 acres (middle property below) Ton of thick wooded areas that don’t get maintained (other than our mountain bike trails).
I also have an old Ford 9N with a 6’ finishing mower on the 3 point hitch for the larger rear yard.
The X330 is mostly for around the trees at the front but sometimes I’ll do the whole yard… in about 2 hours.

Ecoregion Rectangle Terrestrial plant Plant Yellow

Plant Tire Vehicle Green Wheel

· Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
6,152 Posts
The actual grass area isn’t anywhere near 5 acres (middle property below) Ton of thick wooded areas that don’t get maintained (other than our mountain bike trails).
I also have an old Ford 9N with a 6’ finishing mower on the 3 point hitch for the larger rear yard.
The X330 is mostly for around the trees at the front but sometimes I’ll do the whole yard… in about 2 hours.

View attachment 2578091
View attachment 2578092
awesome. BUT I don't want to be up there. PA in the USA is as far north as I want to go.

DANG! the poor poster has to deal with we off the post antics. 🤣

· Registered
4,187 Posts
I just don't understand how everyone thinks the 1 series is "tippy" compared to the X7xx. IMHO they are about the same.

It is hard to estimate slope without actually going out with a level and yardstick. Perhaps these picture will help. This can be mowed up and down or horizontally. The 2305 easily handles this with a 55 gallon sprayer on the back too without issue and that is heavy and complicated by how far the CG is behind the 3 point arms. With the spreader it is not nearly as obvious.
Liquid Water Fluid Solution Drink
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot Biome
Dog Plant Vertebrate Dog breed Green
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

· Registered
4,716 Posts
I just don't understand how everyone thinks the 1 series is "tippy" compared to the X7xx. IMHO they are about the same.
Everyone has their own pucker factor. The seat on the 1 series is a few inches higher up. I notice that the same slope feels steeper the higher up you are. I notice a difference between my X300, X534, and X749 on the exact same slope. I don't have a 1 series, but did sit on one at the dealer. My CUT's seat is even higher. I definitely notice the slope more and have to put in a correctional factor for pucker or I would have to stick to the driveway on my property.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well you asked for thoughts. Yes the 700 series tractors are great machines, particularly the awd. I would be more inclined to save money. I cannot for the life of me imagine needing the complications of 4 wheel steer for blowing a straight driveway, indeed any driveway. So that removes the need for a X585 as well.
My neighbor has a X595 4wd, forerunner of the 700 series. He takes the deck off and puts the blower on and done.....no chains or weights. Me X540, I uses chains and suitcase weights for a similar driveway. Neither of us have any issues in the last decade or so.
If it were me I would get a X590 which gives you EFI. Put chains and 4 suitcase weights on it, call it a day. With the savings perhaps invest in a nice cab for the machine.......not needed..... but up to you.

Good luck
Definitely like the cab idea. Don't necessarily need heat but getting out of the wind makes things much better.

· Registered
349 Posts

It is hard to estimate slope without actually going out with a level and yardstick. Perhaps these picture will help. This can be mowed up and down or horizontally. The 2305 easily handles this with a 55 gallon sprayer on the back too without issue and that is heavy and complicated by how far the CG is behind the 3 point arms. With the spreader it is not nearly as obvious.

I have to agree with you to a point. After owning both an x738 and 1025r I think the seating position on the 1025r makes it feel more tippy and less surefooted. That being said I have gotten a rear wheel off the ground on the 1025r but never had on the x738. For like condition's, mowing without the FEL etc. I really see no real difference other than getting used to the feel. I have a tilt gauge on the dash and mow the same area the same way and have pushed it to 15 degree's no problem with both.

· Likes Vintage JDs
13,049 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on the way the blower is powered between the X5xx and the X7xx? I think the X5xx is belt and the X7xx is PTO. Is this a deal breaker?
Correct. The X7 uses shaft drive for everything - - transmission and PTO-driven implements/attachments. Shafts are generally considered to be an upgrade/higher-spec/heavier-duty approach.

That said, belts do the job very well on many machines, and allow manufacturers to offer similar capabilities at a lower cost.

· Registered
132 Posts
To the original question (X584 v X739): four-wheel drive absolutely has advantages but you can move plenty of snow with two-wheel drive as well.
Anyone have any thoughts on the way the blower is powered between the X5xx and the X7xx? I think the X5xx is belt and the X7xx is PTO. Is this a deal breaker?
A properly fitted belt can transmit a lot of power; I wouldn't worry about that at all. The shear bolt should fail before you hit the limit of either.

Back to your question about X500 vs X700 (not X700 vs 1), I don't think you would be unhappy with either. There is always "better", but how much is "enough". Consider your budget. Four-wheel drive is nice, but there is also a bit more maintenance/cost taking care of the fluids in that system on the X700s. Are you using the machine for other jobs that would advantage one machine over another?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Sky

Two wheel drive, belt-powered blower... and I've moved a whole lot of snow in Minnesota with it.

· Registered
4,716 Posts
The X739 is about $8500 more expensive but I get four wheel drive. Do you think it is worth it?
It isn't worth it if you don't need/want it. Only you know what $8500 is worth to you. For many people that is a lot of money. For many people a 2WD machine is more than adequate.

On the other hand, I have only heard of one person who was sorry they got an AWD X700 series machine with a blower. That person ended up getting a UTV with a plow instead.

The X700 series machines are expensive, no way around that (even used they are expensive and parts are too). For your needs and just comparing the X500 and X700 series machines, the only downside for the X700 is the cost. There are some people that say the blower on the X500 series throws farther, but that might be an advantage for the X500 series, instead of a downside of the X700 series.

If I needed to blow snow more than once or twice a year, I would either move or get a cab. That is going to add extra expense.

I also agree that a "real" tractor is great. People's definition of real varies. I have heard some people consider the 3 series machines to be lawn mowers. Other people think the 425 sized machines are great tractors. It all depends on the jobs you need doing. Machinery can help make many jobs easier/possible.

· Registered
271 Posts
In the original post the poster said the tractor would be used for snow removal at a lake cabin in Minnesota. What I envisioned is a location that is not frequented daily as your home would be. Therefore more than likely the snow will be deep and packed due to settling making it very difficult to blow and chew through, kinda like concrete. With 350' of concrete to chew through with a little tractor, let alone a little 2wd tractor, that's a pretty tall task. Myself, I believe a bigger, heavier tractor with 4wd would be needed. The cost of an X739 is pretty comparable to a 1 series which has more weight, power and ability to move heavier snow. That's just my two cents...

· Registered
4,187 Posts
Everyone has their own pucker factor. The seat on the 1 series is a few inches higher up. I notice that the same slope feels steeper the higher up you are. I notice a difference between my X300, X534, and X749 on the exact same slope. I don't have a 1 series, but did sit on one at the dealer. My CUT's seat is even higher. I definitely notice the slope more and have to put in a correctional factor for pucker or I would have to stick to the driveway on my property.

If you look at the pics I posted the 2305 seat is not higher than the X758. I don't know if there is much difference between the 1 series and 2305? The former is quite a bit heavier and the weight is located low in the frame with the exception of the roll bar.

· Registered
4,716 Posts
$14,700 for X739 (no deck, bare tractor) 1044lbs $14/lb
$18,030 for 1025R (no deck, no loader) 1556lbs = $11.60/lb

So, yeah, I agree the 1025R is a better deal.
1023e is $15,149 and 1446lb for $10.50/lb, a slightly better deal.

There is a difference between the 2305 and the 1 series. The 1 series is almost as big as my CUT. It just doesn't have the extra ground clearance from the larger tires I have. That puts my CUT's up about 6 inches higher.

I don't think we really know enough about what the OP really needs. Where is the machine stored? How easy will it be to get to where it is if the driveway is full of snow and ice?

Ultimately many choices can work okay or better. Some would probably be bad ones. Waiting for Spring/Summer might be adequate for some.

· Registered
6,797 Posts
In the original post the poster said the tractor would be used for snow removal at a lake cabin in Minnesota.
I guess it might depend on which lake. If Lake Superior that almost never freezes over, there can be a lot of lake effect snow and hard packed drifting.

Aside from the driveway, there could be sidewalks and paths where maneuverability might be a factor which was why I suggested four wheel steer could be an advantage.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts