My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday was my first real chance to try out the snow removal capabilities of my tractors. I have a long winding and hilly gravel driveway.

Due to some "continuing maintenance" issues I was able to try all of my equipment.

I started with the '72 222 and the 38" snowcaster. I had the skids set all the way down to keep it off the gravel. It did a decent job until I lost the belt. I think it is just a matter of an improperly sized belt and should be ok with a replacement. Looking back I think this might have worked better later in the season when a decent frozen base was built up. Plus the blower isnt really needed unless it is a large snowfall or the snowbanks are getting to big.

Next I used the '85 446 with the 54" plow. This worked great and I again had the skids all the way down. It did seem a little "chattery" but this might be just a few more loose joints I need to tighten up. I expected to be able to set the lift lever to float and push away, however the plow was heavy enough to dig in when I did this. I ended up manually adjusting the plow up and down as I went based upon the sound. This worked fine until I blew one of the hydraulic lines to the 3 point lift cylinder. This line was already very beat up and was on my list for repairs. I guess now it is on the top of the list.

So back to the '72 222 but this time I mounted the 42" plow. In all honest this might have been my favorite. Despite the smaller amount of snow being pushed the lighter weight plow followed the contours of the driveway much better and I got a cleaner scrape. I am not sure if this should be the case or maybe the 446 needs some additional work.

Either way it was fun to try out all of the equipment. This was my first time clearing my own snow and a very satisfying experience. Please feel free to post any tips or comments. I am happy to learn from you guys that have been doing this for years.

·
Premium Member
10,110 Posts
As much as I like the hydraulic lift and width of my 54" 4 way blade, my favorite for lots of plowing chores is my JD 214 with the manual lift 42" blade. You're right, it seems to follow contours better, like using a finer paint brush. I'm still always amazed at how much snow it will push! And isn't it nice to have a machine in reserve?

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. slkpk

·
Super Moderator
39,344 Posts
OK, we haven't had much snow this year and so :wwp: so the snow-starved can live vicariously though those of us who've had some. Only thing I don't like about the smaller blades was when there was deep snow and it would catch the front wheels and lock them in a left or right turn. The wider plow normally keeps the wheels clear when turning.

·
Registered
214 Posts
put rubber cutting edge on the blades it works great on gravel I put one on my 54 and it was the best thing I did follows the contours better and when I hit frozen rocks it glides over them

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
put rubber cutting edge on the blades it works great on gravel I put one on my 54 and it was the best thing I did follows the contours better and when I hit frozen rocks it glides over them
That sounds like a great idea. What did you use for the rubber? Did you just pinch it between the plow and the regular metal cutting edge to mount?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I posted these in the other thread but can share them here too. This was the most fun part of the day.

Video 1

Video 2

I still have a little more clearing to do this afternoon. I will get some pictures and/or video of the actual "work" then. It can be hard to find a camera man/woman since the little lady is normally taking care of the 2 year old and 3 month old while I am out. Might have to settle for no action shots and do it myself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have a rubber cutting edge on my plow on my JD it's the best thing you can put on your plow. It saves your drive and lawn I made mine out of horse stall mat that you can buy at TSC and cut it on a table saw. I made mine 2 1/2" wide that way I can flip it over when the one side gets worn down. You just put it between your cutting edge and blade.

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
I posted these in the other thread but can share them here too. This was the most fun part of the day.

Video 1

Video 2

I still have a little more clearing to do this afternoon. I will get some pictures and/or video of the actual "work" then. It can be hard to find a camera man/woman since the little lady is normally taking care of the 2 year old and 3 month old while I am out. Might have to settle for no action shots and do it myself.
That's awesome!! When your wife tried to get him to wave and all he did was look, I thought of Christmas Story... "I can't move my arms!"

Good times!!:thThumbsU

·
Lawnmower Collector
755 Posts
The one thing i don't like about the smaller plow (have one on my 104 cub) is that when angled it plours the snow on the tires. also when going up agiant a bank it all falls on the tires.

·
Registered
214 Posts
just like smokehouse said tsc stall mats leave around an inch below the metal edge cut it so you can flip it when it wears you can cut it with a sharp utility knife and straight edge I run mine right on the ground my parents drive is hard packed gravel and my alley is asphalt it works well on both you can do several plows out of 1 mat they are 4x6 if you cutting edges are wore just buy 1/4" plate 2" wide and drill new holes

hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts