My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mule with a plow, and it's no fun to use. I have a long driveway (250 feet x 40 ft wide) and in the Denver area, we don't usually get a ton of snow but when it comes the Mule can't hack it, it runs out of traction and power and I end up leaving large piles all over the driveway that won't budge.

So I'm looking at moving to a new Cub Cadet riding mower and their 3-stage snowblower attachment, which I assume would work better by throwing the snow instead of plowing it, and I also assume the smaller vehicle would be more maneuverable.

Any thoughts on this setup?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
What kind of snow do you get, dry or the wet slushy stuff? What type of surface are you removing it from, hard or gravel? What is the common tool in your area?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, good questions. It's concrete pavement, and in Denver we get both kinds of snow (surprisingly). I don't know anyone else with a large property in the area, it's mostly suburbs and people use regular snowblowers.

·
Registered
869 Posts
As you've discovered, plowing larger areas with a plow require two things, weight and traction.. not enough of either and you find your limits quickly. I'm a big advocate of a properly ballasted GT with a forward blower. I have a 600 ft drive that has multiple off shots and large areas 40' across. I can easily maneuver my JD with blower into all the nooks of my driveway and blast the snow wherever I want. Tho I have no experience with the Cub cadets, my 455 is great, its even 2wd, but I've got it set with proper ballot and HDAP tires and I've had zero issues no matter how wet, heavy or deep the snow.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I mostly use a plow on a quad, but also have a GT with plow and blower, sub compact and compact tractors with plows. I clear long narrow drives and roads. 250x40 and hard surface with a foot of snow I'd likely opt for a blower,,, on a sub compact or compact tractor myself, I think I would get all funned out pretty quick on the GT and blower, that's a fair sized area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
600' of driveway here in MN. Snowblower will solve your problem BUT you want a blower that is shaft driven, not belt drive. It's far too easy to smoke a blower drive belt when blowing wet snow. Blower also better than plowing because in years of really heavy snowfall you can run out of space to plow snow to but blower gets it far enough away for it not to be a problem. I have a small Kubota now but for years used a snapper rider with a front mount blower... and it had a belt drive.
my 2 cents.

mark in MN

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It's the weight, weight distribution and tyres of why your Mule doesn't perform well in them Denver snows. I lived in Denver, 1994-2012, and Denver gets snow and often quite a bit where it is measured in feet. Remember the Holiday blizzard of 2006?
Get yourself about 5-10 bags of tube sand to place in the back and use chains on the ATV drive tyres and the plowing performance with a blade will increase significantly.
Aren't there some snowblowers that attach to the Mule? You likely could easily get a front hitch for the Mule and use a snowblower with that. Check the Quick Attach.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts