My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to justify buying a 42" snow blade for my 2542. I bought this Toro 826LE in 2008 and does a great job. What I don't like about the Toro is that it is very heavy & hard to turn.

After arm surgery in 2010 I loast some use in my left hand. I can't straighten my little finger and it's relatively useless. I have about 80% use of my hand function. The Toro really gives me a workout.

It handles the 2010 snow fall without problem. But I'm wondering if using a plow would be better than fighting this monster. I figure it would be better than risking a shoulder injury. I have 2 bad rotator cuffs too - played too many sports in my youth and my body took a beating....oh, and a knee replacement is inevitable.

The only downside I see with the plow is the initial expense, then I'll need chains and weights. Probably be able to get in for <$1,000 new all told(chains-plow-wts), probably $5-600 used.

We typically get 48-56" inches of snow every year. I figure if I get a lot & run out of places to put it I could always break out the Toro and blow it.

·
Premium Member
9,788 Posts
Is the CC 2542 four wheel drive? Otherwise, I don't think you're going to move the amount of snow in your pictures with a plow. A blower will move more snow farther out of the way than a plow ever will. What about a tractor mounted 2 stage blower? More money but it should be less of a workout on your body than the walk-behind or plowing. I can't decide which I enjoy more, tractor plowing or tractor snowblowing, both have their thrills. I do know this, if I had to choose to keep one it would be the blower hands down.

·
Senior MTF Member
1,815 Posts
I like plowing much more.No cold snow in the face.But that is a lot of snow.if that is the average snow you need to blow it imo.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Seems like a blower would be your best bet! The blowers might be eazier to operate, and move the snow more effectively. I have to guess my CC71 would push that much snow. Trick is not to let the drive get that piled up, if possiable. But , I'd have to go with a snow blower too!:fing32: That is a snowblower for your tractor!

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
I'm trying to justify buying a 42" snow blade for my 2542. I bought this Toro 826LE in 2008 and does a great job. What I don't like about the Toro is that it is very heavy & hard to turn.

After arm surgery in 2010 I loast some use in my left hand. I can't straighten my little finger and it's relatively useless. I have about 80% use of my hand function. The Toro really gives me a workout.

It handles the 2010 snow fall without problem. But I'm wondering if using a plow would be better than fighting this monster. I figure it would be better than risking a shoulder injury. I have 2 bad rotator cuffs too - played too many sports in my youth and my body took a beating....oh, and a knee replacement is inevitable.

The only downside I see with the plow is the initial expense, then I'll need chains and weights. Probably be able to get in for <$1,000 new all told(chains-plow-wts), probably $5-600 used.

We typically get 48-56" inches of snow every year. I figure if I get a lot & run out of places to put it I could always break out the Toro and blow it.
As Long as You keep Up on the snow a Plow will be fine Meaning You may Have to Plow Before snow stops falling Don't Let it get as deep as the Snow in the Picture to start Plowing Try to start Plowing at no Deeper than 6 to 8inches You can Probably get a way with 12 inches and You Be fine. I Plow and when I run out of room I get My cub with Blower when I run Out of Room which You can do with your Toro:thThumbsU

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The snow in the pic was the blizzard of 2010, very unusual that we get that much snow at one time(24in). Once every 5-10 years or so. Our usual snow fall is in the 5-8in category.

·
Registered
838 Posts
As others have stated above, I'd go with a blower (tractor mount if possible). They're FAR more effifient than a plow will ever be. Don't have to plan ahead where to stack snow, don't have to "windrow", and move the same piece of snow two or three times to get it where you want it etc...

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
The snow in the pic was the blizzard of 2010, very unusual that we get that much snow at one time(24in). Once every 5-10 years or so. Our usual snow fall is in the 5-8in category.
5 to 8inch The Plow if Perfect for I only use a Blower as Back Up machine and Narrower areas where My JD X485 with 54inch Blade won't Fit :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
How long is your driveway? In my opinion, a hand operated blower can't beat a plow for long runs (beyond a few hundred feet).

During the blizzards last year you saw the benefit of a blower, you can always clear the driveway. The same can't be said for a small blade on a garden tractor. There just isn't enough height and velocity on the snow leaving the blade.

Also, if you have a slope to your driveway, it will be a ***** to clear with a standard GT rear. My driveway has a grade and I struggle at times getting back up the driveway when there is a lot of snow - even with chains, weights and the locking differential.

In the end the best choices for clearing snow are:

1) A blower on the tractor or,
2) A blade on a pick-up

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
^ that's the ticket! ^

If you want the best of both worlds, go with a snowblower mounted to the 2542.

You might luck out and find one used - and the weights and chains are even easier to find used. You can load the rears with liquid ballast, and there are plentiful options for adding weight beyond that via weight bracket, wheel weights, etc. Same with chains, in fact, if you need a set I have a pair hanging in my garage that I'll probably never use.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Blades have 2 main issues. 1) snow too deep to move it. Once you move a little you can take small bites as in not a full blade but you need to make that 1st cut. That can be difficult.
2) multiple snows that don't melt. The biggest limit to a blade is finding someplace to put the snow.

Blowers are better for deep snow. Blades work better in wet snow that will clog up a blower.

I have a blade and a blower for the tractor. I also have a big walk behind blower and you are correct. It is a work out for sure.

For me the most fun is the tractor mounted blower in real deep snow. I just sit in the cab and move the hydro lever. The tractor does the work and takes the beating!

Since you already have the walk behind and can use it if you absolutely have to. I'd get a blade, wheel weights and 2 link chains. That's the set up I had for years. I used the blade as much as I could and when it was too much I used the walk behind. Like said above it's best to hit it with the blade before it get's over a few inches deep. Even if you have to do it several times. A cab makes it so much nicer when you are plowing when the snow is coming down. Especially around here where often it is quite sleety!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
With your disability I don't think you could operate the plow easier than the blower.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How long is your driveway? In my opinion, a hand operated blower can't beat a plow for long runs (beyond a few hundred feet).

During the blizzards last year you saw the benefit of a blower, you can always clear the driveway. The same can't be said for a small blade on a garden tractor. There just isn't enough height and velocity on the snow leaving the blade.

Also, if you have a slope to your driveway, it will be a ***** to clear with a standard GT rear. My driveway has a grade and I struggle at times getting back up the driveway when there is a lot of snow - even with chains, weights and the locking differential.

In the end the best choices for clearing snow are:

1) A blower on the tractor or,
2) A blade on a pick-up
My drive way is about 120ft from the street to the back. Typical suburban downhill driveway. It has a slope but at the worst I think if needed, and the snow real deep (>8"), I think I could cut a pass up hill with the Blower and then start with the blade. If too deep I could clear all with the blower and maybe clean up with the blade.

Here's a pic of the driveway slope, upper right. It has that same slope about another 10 ft and then starts to level out.

If the snow is real deep (>10") I think would use the blower beast excluesively. You don't have to be einstein to realize the capacity of the blade.

Right now for about 0-2" of snow I have a Stihl backpack BR600 blower that works pretty good. works great for cleaning off the cars too.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With your disability I don't think you could operate the plow easier than the blower.
What's all involved with the blade that would be different than raising & lowering the cutting deck? I can operate the Toro without too much difficulty...I don't think angling, raising & lowering the blade should be a problem. My grip is ok just about 80% strength in the left hand..

The blower attachment for my Cub is pretty much out of the question ($$).

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
You have a strong spring assist on that 2542, I don't think the blade will be much harder than the deck, unless you're trying to pull up on the blade with it wedged in a snow bank :)

·
Pie R Round
679 Posts
What's all involved with the blade that would be different than raising & lowering the cutting deck? I can operate the Toro without too much difficulty...I don't think angling, raising & lowering the blade should be a problem. My grip is ok just about 80% strength in the left hand..

The blower attachment for my Cub is pretty much out of the question ($$).
You will raise and lower the blade a LOT more than the deck. I just got my first opportunity to use the blade on my 108 with the heavy wet snow we got in late October. I usually use my Craftsman GT with the snowblower, but the wet stuff doesn't play well with the blower. Anyway, after plowing my 300' drive with 5 car parking area, my thumb was killin' me from pushing the button! It took about a week to recover - I'm gonna have to look into more lube for that button. I do have the lift spring assist, so lifting the blade was a piece of cake.

I used to blow the snow with a walk-behind, and it would take me about 4 hours of horsing that thing around (8hp, 26" cut Snapper). The blower on the Craftsman gives me about 1.5-2 hours of seat time, including the addition of 2 to 3 elderly neighbors' drives. So I'd say keep the walk-behind for now, get a blade, weights and chains, and keep your eyes on Craig's list for a deal on a used blower.

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,788 Posts
My drive way is about 120ft from the street to the back. Typical suburban downhill driveway. It has a slope but at the worst I think if needed, and the snow real deep (>8"), I think I could cut a pass up hill with the Blower and then start with the blade. If too deep I could clear all with the blower and maybe clean up with the blade.

Here's a pic of the driveway slope, upper right. It has that same slope about another 10 ft and then starts to level out.

If the snow is real deep (>10") I think would use the blower beast excluesively. You don't have to be einstein to realize the capacity of the blade.

Right now for about 0-2" of snow I have a Stihl backpack BR600 blower that works pretty good. works great for cleaning off the cars too.
Just throw a plow on the Vette! I'm guessing around a 70-72 vintage (hard to see the side vents)?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
You will raise and lower the blade a LOT more than the deck....my thumb was killin' me from pushing the button! It took about a week to recover - I'm gonna have to look into more lube for that button. I do have the lift spring assist, so lifting the blade was a piece of cake.

Bill

Very good point. The old Cubs had a float-pin for the lift handle for when you didn't need to lock in said implement at a certain height for any period of time.

For us 2000/2500 owners, it would be nice if we could rig up a way to keep the lift height latch in the unlocked position...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts