My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was thinking about getting a plow for my PGT9500 "Prestige" and have gotten some conflicting views on the subject! Alot say it's just a P.I.T.A. Others love theirs and enjoy plowing with it. Anyone out there have a Simplicity Prestige with a plow. I need some input here! It's either get the plow or spend the megabucks on a good 2 stage blower which I can't see shelling out almost $2000 grand for. I was thinking about Johnny Bucket junior plow I like the 2 electric actuators! And I can get get the bucket for it next spring. Any help would be appreciated Thanx in advance!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had a plow on a broadmoorand a blower. The plow is good up to four inches of snow plus then you have to figure out wheee to put all the snow. If you have the money get the blower.also you can consider the single stage that unit will move alot.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thats if you have a place to go. Most places do not. A plow will get you buy at best. Blower makes for fun!:thThumbsU If you want to convince yourself, look up some of the snowthrower threads. It is money well spent! If your looking for one then you obviously have a big enough driveway to justify it. Figure what a season of plowing would run and it becomes very cost effective!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi guys I was thinking about getting a plow for my PGT9500 "Prestige" and have gotten some conflicting views on the subject! Alot say it's just a P.I.T.A. Others love theirs and enjoy plowing with it. Anyone out there have a Simplicity Prestige with a plow. I need some input here! It's either get the plow or spend the megabucks on a good 2 stage blower which I can't see shelling out almost $2000 grand for. I was thinking about Johnny Bucket junior plow I like the 2 electric actuators! And I can get get the bucket for it next spring. Any help would be appreciated Thanx in advance!!
The last time I had a blade was on an Ingersoll. It wasn't hydraulic but did have down pressure. They are okay if you don't get a ton of snow. I use a single stage on my Prestige and it works fine. there are single stage around if you look hard enough. Two-stage are overpriced in my estimation. Had one on my 85 Prestige. Requires more weight on the back as its heavier and sticks out more. Blades to my knowledge are not hydraulic operated on the Prestige so you have to manually chage the angling and no down pressure. Could be wrong but go with the blower.

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
I have both and in almost all cases, except for slush, the blower is better. The blade is also better for scraping. I have my blower set to run high early season to limit picking up gravel from the drive. I use the blower first and then go back over the pavement parts with the blade to scrape them down. More seat time! Oh, and I can't decide which is more fun to do, blow or blade snow, they both have their highlights!

·
Lost & Found
210 Posts
I have the johnny plow jr on my Prestige. It works fairly well and I have plowed 10" of snow with it. The problem as other have mentioned, is running out of room to push the snow(I have a FEL on another GT,so no big deal). Another issue is you spend a lot more time on the out in the cold versus a blower. One benefit is the ability to take off the skid shoes, and use the plow in the dirt, and you can attach the johnny bucket using the same frame and actuators.

GroundHog Day 2011 004.jpg

GroundHog Day 2011 001.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard that you can leave the deck on and still mount that small bucket is this true? Does that plow have enough downforce to lift the front end off the ground like the web site shows? I made a weight bracket/box for the rear of mine, it holds 130LBS of weights, do you think that plus chains, plus the wheel weights I have will get good traction? The wheel weight are 55lbs apiece. I find this tractors traction really good without the Diff lock engaged.

·
Lost & Found
210 Posts
I heard that you can leave the deck on and still mount that small bucket is this true? Does that plow have enough down force to lift the front end off the ground like the web site shows? I made a weight bracket/box for the rear of mine, it holds 130LBS of weights, do you think that plus chains, plus the wheel weights I have will get good traction? The wheel weight are 55lbs apiece. I find this tractors traction really good without the Diff lock engaged.
I have the older version of the johnny plow that requires the deck to come off, according to his website, it has been redesigned for the Prestige/Conquest, to leave the deck on. It does have the down force to lift the front wheels off the ground, this can be a pain when plowing. If the plow is set to low the front tires won't steer. You would be fine with your weight/chain set up. I only use 50lbs wheel weights and Tru-Power AG's and have no issues, I do occasionally use the diff lock. On another note, I went with the 2x turbo actuators, I like the speed,when angling and raising the plow while moving.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
There's nothing like a blower. It moves the snow up and out of the way, and causes less wear and tear on the drive train. I love my 2-stage, it sends the snow halfway to where it came from. Many love their single stagers, too.

I get deep, heavy snow, and the mound the street plows push up is formidable. The 2-stage eats it right up, and is great fun, too.

Only trouble is, I'm done with the driveway before I've had enough fun!

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
I have already posted my preference for the blower so enough about that. That said, if you do decide to get a blade I don't think you can go wrong with the Johnny Plow. The quality of their stuff is top notch and you're right, you can get the Johnny Bucket in the Spring!

There is a member here who posted a nice long video snowblowing with your very tractor on Youtube. I have a feeling that after watching, you will yearn for the blower! Here's the link.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw the video of the guy in WI running that blower it's awesome, but I have a walk behind 2 stage blower, still leaning towards the plow, I know I'll run into problems with nowhere to put the snow after awhile I figure I can get the walk behind out if I get boxed in. Last winter would be a good example I live in the snow belt South of Erie Pa and It got alot of use last year. I'll have to give this alot of thought. It's that 2 grand that's stopping me, for less I can get a plow and a small bucket. As long as the Johnny stuff is good stuff!

·
Lost & Found
210 Posts
Johnny Products are very well built and designed, plus great customer service. Usually around Nov or so, he starts offering discounts.

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
I have a JB Sr., very well built. A joy to use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I'm going with the Johnny Plow, my drive is only 100ft. and if it gets real nasty I can just break out the walk behind blower. If it was a quarter mile long or so i'd definitely go for the blower. I just can't justify that $1800 Simplicity price for just snow. I'll get the bucket next spring to move around mulch and whatever. Since everyone agrees that the Johnny Products are quality stuff it kind of made the decision easy. So thanx to everyone who posted here! I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
I use a walk behind blower teamed up with my SS/16 and a plow. I plow as much as possible (less time, less gas) and when necessary, move the piles back with a shovel and blower

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw that they won't ship it, only available for store pickup. If the shipping was reasonable I probably would have grabbed it

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
I saw that they won't ship it, only available for store pickup. If the shipping was reasonable I probably would have grabbed it
Yeah, that's kind of funny since they'll ship the whole tractor across the country for about $400.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts