My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

going to pick up a craftsman snow or dozer blade and turn it into a rear scraper (and eventually a rear box). anybody have one they fabbed up? i found this one by abumpa which is a good example of the conversion to rear blade. any others? i'm especially interested in homemade (adapted) boxes with scarifier teeth. :thanku:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished this one about 2 hours ago. It was originally an MTD or similar 46" blade I got for cheap at a yard sale.
looks good. its very similar to the one i linked from abumpa. looks like a good strong design, my only hesitation with going this route is that i want to be able to drop the blade close to buildings to clear snow or move gravel.

·
Registered
639 Posts
looks good. its very similar to the one i linked from abumpa. looks like a good strong design, my only hesitation with going this route is that i want to be able to drop the blade close to buildings to clear snow or move gravel.
I had the 3X3 square tubing from another job. It'll outlast the blade for sure. My tractor is 44" and the blade is 46". It'd be nice to have a little more room for "error". If I can find a stronger blade, I'll cut some of the box beam and keep it a little closer to the tractor, too. I also welded the blade fast so it can't trip with the spring. That may shorten the life of the blade, since it's on a BX2200.

·
Registered
444 Posts
zionview, that looks plenty strong, kubota pullin it or not!
Oifla ,yes i do like it,
it works better than i imagined. only thing i need to do is put hydraulic lift to it, which i can do. it rips and pulls dirt ,roots, rocks ,bricks whatever, like you can't believe, for such a simple device, but it fills fast and i can barley handle it with my manual lift 3 point. The tractor it's hooked to, an 18/6 with fel pulls it just fine. i have stopped forward motion a few times depending what it grabs,or cause it is full going uphill ,loss of traction. Probably a good thing or something would get torn apart. It's just a simple snowplow, side plates and in this case a cultivator i was not using anyway and presto an earth ripping....fill in the blank. I just want hydraulics to make my end of the job easier. My old arms have trouble keeping that thing where i want it with the manual lift 3 point. Amazing how much different it digs or floats depending on top link adjustment.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had the 3X3 square tubing from another job. It'll outlast the blade for sure. My tractor is 44" and the blade is 46". It'd be nice to have a little more room for "error". If I can find a stronger blade, I'll cut some of the box beam and keep it a little closer to the tractor, too. I also welded the blade fast so it can't trip with the spring. That may shorten the life of the blade, since it's on a BX2200.

Zionview which part of central Pa are you from? I too am from central penn, I'm in the Milton area. It's always good to see MTF'ers in neighboring towns.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I found a new plow at a yard sale for $10, and just had to cut it up to make a grading blade for the back of my WH 414-8. I use an electric winch to raise it.

The only thing I have to modify, is the mounting height. The top of the plow, where it pivots, has to be parallel to the ground. If not, when you angle it, one end of the plow will go up, and the other end, down, and the plow will not be level to the ground.

Good luck with your build.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts