My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the John Deere soft weather enclosure on an X590. Is there anything that can safely be used on the windshield to help keep snow from sticking? I've heard RainX is not good for plastic/vinyl. I've used Pledge spray furniture wax on motorcycle and snowmobile helmet shields with no damage, but they're hard plastic. It's usually the fine snow dust from the snow blower chute that drifts back and sticks, making me stop and get out to brush it off.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,059 Posts
I’ve had this problem before also. I’m normally able to smack the inside of the window with my hand and most of it falls off.
By any chance do you keep the tractor in a heated enclosure between snowfalls? If so, the snow will melt and re-freeze quickly on the clear vinyl, and make the problem worse.

As far as what to put on there, I might suggest silicone spray. Try a small spot to make sure no bad reactions will take place.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is special vinyl spray window cleaner, I know they use it on aircraft that don’t use glass...hope that helps
Maybe it’s on amazon or somthing
There’s also a hand operated wiper you could possibly add???

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
931 Posts
RainX for Plastic is a good product. I used it to restore my soft windows on the doors, and as a "wax"/polish for the acrylic front and rear windows. Googe search "cleaning vinyl boat windows" and you'll get lots of advice and product recommendations. I work in a museum with acres of acrylic and we use Novus products.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RainX for Plastic is a good product. I used it to restore my soft windows on the doors, and as a "wax"/polish for the acrylic front and rear windows. Googe search "cleaning vinyl boat windows" and you'll get lots of advice and product recommendations. I work in a museum with acres of acrylic and we use Novus products.
Thanks for the info. I forgot I have some Novus #1 around here somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is special vinyl spray window cleaner, I know they use it on aircraft that don’t use glass...hope that helps
Maybe it’s on amazon or somthing
There’s also a hand operated wiper you could possibly add???
Thanks, I'll search for that cleaner. Not sure a wiper would work well on the soft vinyl. I have thought about the possibility of replacing the front vinyl with a hard plastic and installing a hand operated wiper. Maybe something like the hard-coated poly windshield on my UTV?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve had this problem before also. I’m normally able to smack the inside of the window with my hand and most of it falls off.
By any chance do you keep the tractor in a heated enclosure between snowfalls? If so, the snow will melt and re-freeze quickly on the clear vinyl, and make the problem worse.

As far as what to put on there, I might suggest silicone spray. Try a small spot to make sure no bad reactions will take place.
I also gently smack the inside of the windshield with the back of my gloved hand. Sometimes it helps. I keep the tractor in a non heated pole barn. I think there might be a little heat generated by me and the engine during operation as smacking the snow off the windshield only seems to work during the first few minutes of snowblowing.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I often adjust my chute deflector to blow horizontal or down when the snow is swirling up and impacting visibility or getting sucked into my WE.

·
Parts collector
2,966 Posts
Orange rain-x washer fluid. OR silicone spray.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I have the JD soft weather enclosure on my X500 and I use a small 12 volt ceramic heater and it keeps it warm enough that any snow that gets on the plastic windshield simply melts and runs off. I have it mounted in the cargo system holes on the dash facing me, but if the windshield ever starts to fog up or get snow sticking to it, which has happend on really cold days, I simply flip it around for a few minutes so that it is blowing directly on the windshield like a car defroster and that has always cleared it up.

·
blinged out
1,126 Posts
I was thinking about the clearview defrost kits,for you guys that are out blowing for exended periods. I don't need one my driveway takes about 15mins and tapping the window always clears it enough so I can see. but if it happened to be freezing rain one of these might be necessary!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the JD soft weather enclosure on my X500 and I use a small 12 volt ceramic heater and it keeps it warm enough that any snow that gets on the plastic windshield simply melts and runs off. I have it mounted in the cargo system holes on the dash facing me, but if the windshield ever starts to fog up or get snow sticking to it, which has happend on really cold days, I simply flip it around for a few minutes so that it is blowing directly on the windshield like a car defroster and that has always cleared it up.
That's an idea. How many watts output is your heater and how many amps does it draw? Do you plug it into the 12V "cigarette lighter" socket, the accessory connector, or hooked up direct to the battery?

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Here's a link to a heater that looks similar to the one I have:

12 volt ceramic heater

It's made for truckers to keep the cab warm when they sleep on the side of the road. It has two fuses on the side of the front of the heater itself, one for the heating element and one for the fan. I have mine wired directly to the battery with a quick disconnect, so I need to remember to turn it off when I shut off the tractor or it will drain the battery. I know, having 2 x 20 amp fuses means that it can potentially draw way more than the 15 amps that the charging circuit puts out, but that is only at the high heat level and the maximum fan output. I usually only keep it on high heat and high fan output for a few minurtes and then back it down once the cab is warmed up. Plus I always shut the heater off and let the engine run for a few minutes to top the battery off before I shut off the engine. I also have a battery tender that I rotate between the X500, the X530 and the battery or the big Ford 4000, so the battery is always topped off between plowing sessions. My batteries last between 7 and 10 years each, so the draw from the heater doesn't seem to cause any long term battery life problems.

·
Premium Member
9,304 Posts
I have the John Deere soft weather enclosure on an X590. Is there anything that can safely be used on the windshield to help keep snow from sticking? I've heard RainX is not good for plastic/vinyl. I've used Pledge spray furniture wax on motorcycle and snowmobile helmet shields with no damage, but they're hard plastic. It's usually the fine snow dust from the snow blower chute that drifts back and sticks, making me stop and get out to brush it off.
When I had my old Craftsman "shower curtain" cab I attached a car brush to a short length of rope to the top right corner of the cab and reached out through the side of the cab to brush the snow away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts