My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had enough snow Saturday to pull out my tractor to do the driveway. It is a x300 and the 44" snowblower attachment. It is about a year old with 58 hours on it. I store the tractor in a shed and the outside temp was very cold - 5 above. After lots of trying, I could not get the tractor to start. I tried until the battery wore down. I called the dealer, and they came right out to pick it up.

As per my usual experiance, they just called and said that they couldn' find anything wrong. They said it started when they loaded it on the trailer at my house (i was not home when they came) and it started right up this morning when they were checking it out. The tech said it was probably the cold weather. He said I need to make sure 5w-30 oil is in during the winter.

My question for you guys - is it normal for a dry, shed stored tractor a year old with a strong battery not to start just because of the cold and having 10w30 oil in it? Hopefully that is all it was, but i have had this mower start hard in the summer when the engine was warm and I have thought that something wasn't right......Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
I keep a battery tender on my 4 year old X500 during the winter months. It's in my detached unheated garage and it gets pretty cold in there, and it does start hard in the cold. I have to play with the throttle position and choke more in the extreme cold to get it to start, but it has started every time for me.

Just some thoughts:

How warm was it when it was starting for them? If it was above freezing both times that they tested it and it started for them, then it might be that you have some water in the fuel system that's freezing up when you get down as cold as you say it was. If it was just as cold when they were testing it then water in the fuel isn't the problem.

Maybe you flooded it trying to start it when it was cold and then wore the battery down trying to start a flooded engine, and the cylinders had dried out by the time that they tested it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Finally had enough snow Saturday to pull out my tractor to do the driveway. It is a x300 and the 44" snowblower attachment. It is about a year old with 58 hours on it. I store the tractor in a shed and the outside temp was very cold - 5 above. After lots of trying, I could not get the tractor to start. I tried until the battery wore down. I called the dealer, and they came right out to pick it up.

As per my usual experiance, they just called and said that they couldn' find anything wrong. They said it started when they loaded it on the trailer at my house (i was not home when they came) and it started right up this morning when they were checking it out. The tech said it was probably the cold weather. He said I need to make sure 5w-30 oil is in during the winter.

My question for you guys - is it normal for a dry, shed stored tractor a year old with a strong battery not to start just because of the cold and having 10w30 oil in it? Hopefully that is all it was, but i have had this mower start hard in the summer when the engine was warm and I have thought that something wasn't right......Anyone have any thoughts?
Hi dboissy,
On my X324 when cold starting (has not been running for a few hours and the engine is cold) I turn the key to the run position (just before the start position), move the throttle to full on or wide open (all the way up), push the brake pedal all the way down, move the choke all the way up, and turn the key to start, then release the choke. This always starts it even at 15 degrees. When the engine is warm I use the same procedure but do not use the choke. Hope this helps you out.
Todd

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,550 Posts
I don't know that the oil caused it not to start, but with those kind of winter temps I would probably go with a 5W30 also and then switch to 10W30 for the spring/summer/fall. A reasonable synthetic oil would be another good way to go (in either weight).

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
use what ever oil the OEM recommends.

assuming a good battery, (and NO drain on it) a battery-tender is a waste of electricity! and you said you tried it till the battery ran down so I am assuming a good battery too!

likely you flooded it, your temps were not "too cold" and outside storage is where they belong.

not suprised the dealer could not find anything wrong with it, probably just an excited user :)

I bet next time it works just fine!

Might want to practice starting in the cold a few times to get the hang of it, the amount of choke is MUCH different than in warm months...!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Unless you flooded it or had a frozen fuel line that thing should have started.

If you know snow is coming you ought to go out the day before and start it up and bring it up to operating temperature. I learned this lesson a few years ago after a tractor sat for some time without running and it would not start. I always use this procedure and I have not had a repeat of the problem. Try this out and see if it helps.:fing32:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.