My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as all good stories go...

No $h!t there I was, trying to clear some epic snow here in the mountains of NM. I had a fair amount of directional issues with the front end and want to take a set of truck chains and put them on the front tires of my JD4104 4X4. Is there any reason I chouldn't do this? should a find some rear chains? should a take three sets and chain up the rear or buy a set of real chains for the rear 17.5-L24's?

I was able to plow the road but would have had an easier time with chains.

Thanks
Trent

·
22,347 Posts
Don't use so much down pressure on the bucket. It takes a lot of practice to find the right combination of down force vs. scraping force vs. steering capability with snow conditions. If it isn't steering, lift or tilt the bucket up a bit to put the weight back on the wheels.

I haven't installed the rear chains on my MF GC2310 yet, and this will be the 6th winter. Loaded rear tires, 5' back blade and FEL is all that's on it for traction. My 2wd MF1655 does have chains and I used it for 24 years with no problem, even for the one monster storm that dumped 5' on us in 3 days. I use only turf tires on my snow tractors.

I also use both the FEL bucket and the backblade at the same time. The bucket makes the pathway and the blade scrapes it clean. Trying to clear and scrape with the bucket in one pass before the ground has frozen and the snow packed base has formed is frustrating unless you have a hard surfaced driveway.

Your tractor is heavier than either of mine and I suspect that some liquid ballast in all 4 tires would go a long way towards correcting your steering and traction issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If the wheels have power from the engine, they ought to have chains!!!

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use chains on the front wheels cause they could strike the tractor when turning. The chains on my fronts don't. They make a BIG difference, especially when you put some weight on the front by lifting the front attachment.

Chain up all 4 and you'll have a real go getter!!!

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Thats a fine looking setup. slkpk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love your setup :fing32:. Many of the MFWD manuals advise against chains on the front tires when operating in 4WD on hard surfaces due to front differential "binding" (too much traction); but your setup is great where there is some surface slip for the fronts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks of the input, I spoke with the dealers service department about chains on the front, they not only said it was ok but tried to sell me a $345 set. Then a $645 set for the rear.

I think I can do better than that price for the rear and have lots of chains at home for a truck that should fit the front.

Trent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts