My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a while to finally make my decision. Yesterday, I ordered the front blade for my x540. Should be here in a week or two. With most people saying the blower was the one to get, I thought I'd offer this for those struggling with the same decision.

My driveway is 150 feet long and slopes downhill from the house to the street. Total drop is probably 5 or 6 feet. That's not much but it is enough to greatly increase my plowing ability. Gravity is a power ally when plowing down hill :). I plowed for years with my big Toro garden tractor and had very few problems. I expect my deer with a locking diff and more weight on the rear will do as well if not better.

The other side of the street from me is a big drop off. I can push snow across the street and over the edge all season long and never run out of room. Cool :)

My house is in the open and the wind really blows. When snowblowing fine powder, I often get a face full no matter which way I point the shoot. What a pain If I went with a blower on the tractor, I'd also have to have the enclosure, raising the price even more.

As I drive around my area and look at the driveways, I see that most would not work well for a blade. They are often flat, or too long. I can see that in the general case, the snowblower really is the best answer. But in my case, the blade is a great alternative that will take care of 90% of my snow removal needs. Each situation really is unique.

The walk-behind two stage snapper handle the rest.

- Keith -

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:congrats: and post some pics of it when you get it. slkpk

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
I'd say in my area a blade would be best,since we often get snow at first when a storm starts,then it often turns to rain, or is often a "wet cement" type of slushy snow ,that most snowblowers cant handle,and they clog repeatedy,bust the belts, and shear pins,etc...we dont get powdery snow here too ofen,being fairly close to the coast (about 15 miles inland)..I never liked getting snow blown in my face either,I'd rather plow anyday!..

The one disadvantage to a plow however,is if you dont push the first few storms snow WAY back,you quickly run out of room to pile it up in,and if you get many storms in rapid succession as we often do here,your driveway ends up being barely wide enough for you car,with high snowbanks piled up on both sides,that block your vision.....

...and most tractors cant push much more than say,6" of snow, or pile it up very high--even with my 3/4 ton 4x4, I have had years I ran out of room to put the snow,even though I shoved it 50' back onto the back lawn!..I was barely able to get my 8' Fisher plow to fit ,the banks were so high and close!..luckily we had a thaw with heavy rain that finally got rid of all the snow in February that year,otherwise I'd have ben boned!..

But in your case I'd say the plow was the way to go,seeing you have gravity on your side, and a drop off area to dump the snow in..just be careful not to go too close to the edge!--I had my truck slide into the ditch I used to push my snow into across the street once,it was NOT fun getting it back out!..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.just be careful not to go too close to the edge!--I had my truck slide into the ditch I used to push my snow into across the street once,it was NOT fun getting it back out!..
I did that with my Allis-Chalmers CUT. Went just a bit too far and the front wheels dropped over the edge. Didn't have enough traction to back up. :fing20: I had to get my yellow tow strap out and use my Jeep to pull it out. I had the strap stretched across the road blocking traffic at night while I did this.

Fortunately, traffic on my country road is very light

- Keith -

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Sounds like you made the right decision. You analyzed your situation and chose what will work best for you which means you should get the most use out of it too. So, it will be money well spent, nothing worse than paying big money for something that you can't always use, and it seems to me you should get a lot of use out of that blade.:fing32:
Oh and of course...:wwp:

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
I've been using a blade on my Ford CUT for 20 plus years. The Ford 1100 weighs about 1300 lbs with plow and 66 lbs on the rear wheels. I don't put chains on it but I do have 4wd and ag tires. It will push 12 inches without a problem and will throw the snow over a 12 inch bank, but not much more. Around the house it can create a 3 foot pile, pushing at the bottom it will push the pile up. This winter I'm plowing an 1100 foot driveway, usually in 3rd gear high, sometimes in 4th. (maybe 4 mph). Drive is fairly level and all stone. Seems like a blower would be alot slower.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just wanted to add ,, that a plow is a great way to clear snow , and wish was able to go the same route.... However Iam using a 10.5 hp tecumseh snow blower that is just barely getting the snow higher than the banks when blowing close to the side of the driveway... winter is here and I wish I had a bigger blower dispite 4 years of trouble free service from this blower.. If I were to even attempt to use a blade I believe I would be on the phone calling the plow to clear my driveway... our last storm gave us about 35cm of Heavy Snow and the one before that was more like60cm. I know that we usually get storms like this every winter and to use a blade would be useless on a Lawn or Garden Tractor..... Just my 2 cents

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
However Iam using a 10.5 hp tecumseh snow blower that is just barely getting the snow higher than the banks when blowing close to the side of the driveway...

You have snow like this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wrestled with this choice for a long time. In central MN our snow dumps vary widely. We can get none to 2 feet in one storm. After 5 years at this address I decided on getting a blower and a cab. I was always heading back to the garage to warm up before I could finish the job with the quad and blade. The wind and temps are relentless. Getting too old for that if I don't have to.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,235 Posts
Definitely want pictures!
I got both. Blower on the 110 and just got blade for the 140. If snow gets bad (2'+) then the Kubota comes out withe FEL.😆

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Question on the blade. Do you angle it and if so, how does that work with a slope?

I have a 5' rear blade for my CUT. If I angle it one side will dig in before the other on my slopes. Since I don't have a tilt cylinder currently, I can set it for upslope or downslope, but my driveway changes slope in a few locations. If I got a tilt cylinder and put it on the float valve it might work okay. Right now I just use it in the straight position, but that probably won't work too well for snow.

·
22,172 Posts
Question on the blade. Do you angle it and if so, how does that work with a slope?

I have a 5' rear blade for my CUT. If I angle it one side will dig in before the other on my slopes. Since I don't have a tilt cylinder currently, I can set it for upslope or downslope, but my driveway changes slope in a few locations. If I got a tilt cylinder and put it on the float valve it might work okay. Right now I just use it in the straight position, but that probably won't work too well for snow.
Set the rake (tilt) of the blade to almost vertical at the cutting edge. Too much rake will cause it to dig in, while not enough rake will cause the cutting edge to climb up. For straight across, the window for rake angle is a slightly wider than for when the blade is angled, but close to vertical seems to work well for both. Changing from upslope to downslope tightens up the optimum rake angle considerably when the blade is angled since the tractor starts the vertical change first which raises or lowers the effective angle between it and the 3PH along with the angle of rake.

When traversing from level to upslope, the end of the angled blade closest to the the tractor will always dig in more. When traversing from level to downslope, the opposite happens. It's just a fact of the geometry involved and short of constant twiddling with a hydraulic top link, you're stuck with it.

The only 'hill' that I have to deal with is the one created when I climb the snow pile to add to the top. With the abrupt angle change of the tractor when it hits the slope, I lift the straight across back blade before it meets the slope or it will carve into the bottom of the ramp and bring the tractor to a halt. I really don't want to spin the wheels and dig holes in a 20° icy slope.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Everyone's situation is different, sounds like you made right decision for your needs. In my case I live in upstate NY in snowbelt. While you can use a plow, easy to run out of room in bad winters. The snow blower on 590 is a snow eater. I can even chew up huge banks of snow and ice chunks at end of my driveway left by county plows that in heavy storms can easily reach 3 or 4 feet wide by 3 or 4 feet high. I would struggle to remove them with a plow and 590. But that's my situation..

·
Clean-up Crew
5,675 Posts
Guys...This thread was started 11 years ago, not likely the original posters will answer,
That said, I use a blade mostly, if the banks get too close, I have a blower on a different tractor.

·
blinged out
1,296 Posts
old thread, here's an old story!

It's illegal to push snow across across a roadway here. I'm not sure what the law is where you live but I'd be very carefull doing that, if you ever had a problem with a car losing control while anywhere near where you left some snow on the rd you'd be liable. someone complains and the township shuts down your snow across the rd routine what do you do with the plow then!
I had this scenerio with a neighbour pushing snow acroos the rd into the ditch on my side with an atv. soon the piles were so high people leaving my drive with smaller cars couldn't see to enter the roadway safely! I asked the neighbour to stop pushing snow across the road and the next storm they were right back at it. I went out and asked them to stop, the parents were away at the time and the reply from one of his teen boys was we can put the snow where ever we want. I said that's fine! I went and got the case 580 from the marina I operated at the end of the street! promptly cleared my ditchs into there driveway piled about 10ft. high! they came out and said what are you doing, my reply "you said we can put snow wherever we want"
the parents happened to come home from holidays that night and had to walk to the house from the rd. they called in the township to remove snow with a loader and dumptruck the next day. I received a call from the township asking what I was thinking. I explained the issue and told them where the snow came from. I got a call back about an hr. later from the township saying the neighbour wouldn't push snow across the rd. again if I would stay away with the loader!
moral, you don't argue with a guy with a loader!

·
Registered
398 Posts
old thread, here's an old story!

It's illegal to push snow across across a roadway here. I'm not sure what the law is where you live but I'd be very carefull doing that, if you ever had a problem with a car losing control while anywhere near where you left some snow on the rd you'd be liable. someone complains and the township shuts down your snow across the rd routine what do you do with the plow then!
I had this scenerio with a neighbour pushing snow acroos the rd into the ditch on my side with an atv. soon the piles were so high people leaving my drive with smaller cars couldn't see to enter the roadway safely! I asked the neighbour to stop pushing snow across the road and the next storm they were right back at it. I went out and asked them to stop, the parents were away at the time and the reply from one of his teen boys was we can put the snow where ever we want. I said that's fine! I went and got the case 580 from the marina I operated at the end of the street! promptly cleared my ditchs into there driveway piled about 10ft. high! they came out and said what are you doing, my reply "you said we can put snow wherever we want"
the parents happened to come home from holidays that night and had to walk to the house from the rd. they called in the township to remove snow with a loader and dumptruck the next day. I received a call from the township asking what I was thinking. I explained the issue and told them where the snow came from. I got a call back about an hr. later from the township saying the neighbour wouldn't push snow across the rd. again if I would stay away with the loader!
moral, you don't argue with a guy with a loader!
The old thread revival was worth this story alone. Bravo!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts