My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

with all the recent threads of mounting snow blowers ect... I was getting jealous. :) I have a 2 stage blower - I don't have a manual but would like to get one Anyone have a copy they could share with me?

davedejonge at hotmail dot com

The model number reads 09JC9895 and the serial number is 59895T12788

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts
Wow, old 2010 thread found in a google search.....

Hey Dave, did you ever find a parts manual for that snow blower? I have the same model number and am looking to identify the auger bearings,

I have the operator's manual if you haven't found one yet

thanks, Larry

·
Administrator
5,950 Posts
Larry
If you pull the bearing out there should be a number on the side of it, usually something like 6204 or similar, sometimes with a letter or 2 after it.

edit...Sorry Larry, just saw your other thread on this.. looks like an odd one. Wonder if you can buy a bearing cage that will fit a replaceable bearing?

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts
Thanks Poncho. unfortunately not a standard type bearing and no numbers on it. Looks like Jacobsen just had them special made for this application as I did find a JAC343498 part number for them.

Will do some searching but then have to ultimately try the dealer......and hope.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts
Looks like my single stage might have the same bearing.....let us know what you find out
I suspect they probably came off the same production line so the auger bearings could well be identical.

From what little bit I have learned in the last day, it appeard initially only the single stage blower was available for these LGTs, and a couple years later, (maybe when they went closed sided), they offered the two stage as well up to '83.

If I remember the story correctly my two stage had been originally purchased along with a new 1978 closed sided.

Maybe you'd be able to see if any of your suppliers can convert that "JAC" number to anything else useful. JAC343498.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts

·
Administrator
5,950 Posts
Thought I better check my blower over too. Seems to be the same bearing as yours Larry. I started to take them apart, but couldn't even get the retainer ring loose. I am not going to bother. It runs smooth, can't see how you would get grease in there anyways , short of drilling a small hole. I oiled around the shaft etc to try and seep some oil in there. Also oiled up the chain, greased the "U" joints etc.

Attachments

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts
Thought I better check my blower over too. Seems to be the same bearing as yours Larry. I started to take them apart, but couldn't even get the retainer ring loose. I am not going to bother. It runs smooth, can't see how you would get grease in there anyways , short of drilling a small hole. I oiled around the shaft etc to try and seep some oil in there. Also oiled up the chain, greased the "U" joints etc.
Were you able to get the two set screws out ok? You can't get just the retainer ring/collar off as such, it is an integral part of the inner race. Took me two hours and heating with the torch to figure that out.

Forget trying from outside the housing. After soaking, drive a wedge or two (big chisels) between the inner side of the bearing and the end of the impeller. Mine just walked right out, complete, needing a few good wacks on the chisels with a BFH.

And don't wack on the end of the shaft with that hammer, it just mushrooms. Mine did and had to grind it clean again. Live and learn.

I'm currently soaking the worst one, the one I heated, in diesel. Will blow it out and all I can do is force grease down the crack between the inner race and the cage. Don't know how grease stayed in there in the first place with no seals.

Boy, a factory grease fitting would have been nice. Probably cost a nickle.

·
Administrator
5,950 Posts
I might drill a 1/8 hole in the bearing housing. I would then put a needle fitting I have for my grease gun and inject some grease. Then seal it up with a bit of RTV or silicone.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts
I might drill a 1/8 hole in the bearing housing. I would then put a needle fitting I have for my grease gun and inject some grease. Then seal it up with a bit of RTV or silicone.
Just be cautious you don't drill a ball or break off a bit inside......

If you do decide to take them right off, I soaked mine in diesel and blew it out, several times. Got literally nothing out.

About 10 minutes of dragging the non collar side over my well greased palm and the grease was oozing thru out the collar side. No telling how long it will stay there when spinning,

I used multi purpose grease but next time would use heavier wheel bearing grease and it might stay inside longer.

·
Administrator
5,950 Posts
About 10 minutes of dragging the non collar side over my well greased palm and the grease was oozing thru out the collar side. No telling how long it will stay there when spinning,

Is the inside open to the bearing or is it sealed like the outside? If I could get grease in there, I would attempt to take it off

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts
Is the inside open to the bearing or is it sealed like the outside? If I could get grease in there, I would attempt to take it off
Yes, no collar on the inside, and there is about a 1/16" gap between the inner race and the outer cage. No seal.

The gap is enough to blow the washed bearing out with the compressor and then pack with grease sliding it over your palm till it comes out the otherside.

Make sure any exposed shaft is cleaned/filed down incase it has hit anything, before trying to slide the bearing off. Mine walked off with two chisels for wedges from the inside. You immediately see eposed shaft inside as it starts to move a bit.

I heated the heck out of the first side, unnecessarily perhaps, but it probably helped and was none the worse for wear afterwards, compared to the non abused one on the other side.

Second side, took about 2 mins to wedge out unheated. All I needed was the right approach to the problem.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts
Cool, will give it a try
So did you succeed in getting the bearings out?

I got both of mine repacked with grease and waiting for reassembly after the second coat of paint on the blower shell. Hopefully that second coat will happen tomorrow.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,040 Posts
Didnt get back to it today, had company.

I should paint mine too....been saying that for 3 or 4 years....I did manage to get the chute painted ....lol
Just brush painted mine.Thought I had Tremclad but was actually C.T.C. Armorcoat, Holland Yellow. Really, really thick paint. Bought a 4 liter can and so far have done both the snow pusher and this blower, only using up about 1 litre. Incredible coverage and never sanded anything, just really close power washing to remove any rust or paint flake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts