My Tractor Forum banner

snow blade for my z force

2699 Views 15 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  masmedia
Well we got our first big snowfall...the walk behind was a big job. Already got wife approval for getting a blade for my Cub Z-Force S48! I tried it out in the snow (without a blade) and I was pleasantly shocked-it's so good! Not even with chains I was going up big hills in 3-4" unplowed snow like it was dry.

Planning to get a blade, and was wondering if it has to be the Cub version I'm pretty sure is this:
58-inch Snow Plow Blade - 19B70044100 | Cub Cadet US
58-inch Snow Plow Blade - 19B70044100 | From Mulching Kits to Baggers, Find Cub Cadet OEM Riding Mower Accessories and Attachments Here!
www.cubcadet.com
www.cubcadet.com

I'm willing to go this route, but would those much less pricy universals work? Not that this is too pricey, but is the quality that much different, and most of all, would something else fit?

THANKS!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
The universal plows likely will require some fabrication of mounts on your part, to attach it to your zero turn, as the frame of a zero turn isn't that similar to a lawn tractor or an atv, and then your ZT has even more limited space for mounting it, as I believe the mechanism for the steering system is located between the frame rails just behind the front wheels, so that also limits where/how it can be attached.

I would say it's unlikely you'll find a 3rd party bolt up plow setup, unless your S48 happens to have very similar mounting points up front for it that other tractors have (so it can be sold for a bunch of models without needing a different mounting system for each one).

I would suggest going with Cub's setup unless you feel comfortable with designing/fabricating parts yourself..
Reactions: masmedia
58" is a lot of blade.
Thanks-this is what I was looking for! No problem-I'll stick to the "brand name"!
The universal plows likely will require some fabrication of mounts on your part, to attach it to your zero turn, as the frame of a zero turn isn't that similar to a lawn tractor or an atv, and then your ZT has even more limited space for mounting it, as I believe the mechanism for the steering system is located between the frame rails just behind the front wheels, so that also limits where/how it can be attached.

I would say it's unlikely you'll find a 3rd party bolt up plow setup, unless your S48 happens to have very similar mounting points up front for it that other tractors have (so it can be sold for a bunch of models without needing a different mounting system for each one).

I would suggest going with Cub's setup unless you feel comfortable with designing/fabricating parts yourself..
I'm putting this on my Gravely ZT HD. I bought a winch and this blade (actually I bought the 60" - 72" Kolpin) haven't decided if I think my Z will handle 72". I think I will put it on at 60". I laid out all of the parts today but don't have the time to install this weekend.

Here is a link to the blade that is 48" - 60" Kolpin Switchblade Universal ATV Snow Plow System | Cabela's

I think you could buy this blade and a $100 winch and drill a few holes and be set. You may still need snow chains though, I also bought snow chains. You could be all in with a set of chains for less than $500

I've plowed snow on a couple of different ZTRs and they do a great job. Your body weight and that engine both hang over the back tires so need for extra weight. Your Z weighs about 680, with your on it it well over 800, so it should push a 48" blade with no issue.

It will probably be the week of Christmas before I finish getting my blade on but I'll post pics when I do.

Attached is a pic of the first ZTR I had with a snow plow. I plowed mine and about 5 of my elderly neighbors for at least 5 years before I sold the whole unit, still working fine. My drive was at least 250 feet and most of their drives were at least 150 - 200ft. So it plowed a bunch of snow in that 5 years with no issues. The Z was a Hustler Mini Z.

Attachments

Pushing snow straight ahead will work totally fine, it's angled plowing that may be a problem, as when there is much snow, it just gets too much for the relatively light ZT.
The only time this would be a problem is if the ZTR did not have dual hydros. I believe his has dual hydros, hydro gear ZT 2800.

He will not have a a problem with that.
Pushing snow straight ahead will work totally fine, it's angled plowing that may be a problem, as when there is much snow, it just gets too much for the relatively light ZT.
This sounds completely backwards to me. If a truck attacks a pile of snow with a blade that is square to the front of the truck, the truck will often stop dead in it's tracks. If that same truck hits that pile with his blade angled, he has a chance of pushing through it. This is the whole reason why the V blade was invented. When pushing with the blade straight across the front of a vehicle, and making a long push of snow, the snow will eventually build up in front of the vehicle, and stop it. With the blade angled to the side, it diverts to snow to the side, and out of the way. Diverting force to the side is always easier than tackling it straight on.
Jeff I'm guessing that Dave thinks that because the ZTR has front tires that swivel it makes it more likely to push when the blade is angled. however, it is the drive tires and the sticks that the operator uses to keep the z going straight while plowing with the blade angled.

.There are so many YouTube videos of ZTRs plowing snow like a boss.
This sounds completely backwards to me. If a truck attacks a pile of snow with a blade that is square to the front of the truck, the truck will often stop dead in it's tracks. If that same truck hits that pile with his blade angled, he has a chance of pushing through it. This is the whole reason why the V blade was invented. When pushing with the blade straight across the front of a vehicle, and making a long push of snow, the snow will eventually build up in front of the vehicle, and stop it. With the blade angled to the side, it diverts to snow to the side, and out of the way. Diverting force to the side is always easier than tackling it straight on.
I don't doubt you that there are videos of people using ZTRs to push snow, and effectively. And maybe I just don't understand the physics of a ZTR (I've never owned one, so it's very likely). For most vehicles, pushing snow with an angled blade is easier and more productive than with the blade straight, maybe a ZTR is one of the exceptions to the rule.
Jeff I'm guessing that Dave thinks that because the ZTR has front tires that swivel it makes it more likely to push when the blade is angled. however, it is the drive tires and the sticks that the operator uses to keep the z going straight while plowing with the blade angled.

.There are so many YouTube videos of ZTRs plowing snow like a boss.
Reactions: Country1966?
You are exactly right it is easier to push snow with the blade at an angle on a Z. You just have to use the sticks and the hydro drives to keep it straight. It doesn't take too much practice to do it either.

Pushing snow with the blade straight is pretty much exactly like with everything else; you soon hit your limit of snow you can push based on the weight of the machine you are pushing it with. I could push snow into bigger piles with my 900lb and 1000lb ZTRs than a lot of guys using ATVs for that reason. My 1000lb grasshopper, with the 60" little bully blade that grasshopper makes, had bar tires; I tell you it was a beast at pushing snow.

I don't doubt you that there are videos of people using ZTRs to push snow, and effectively. And maybe I just don't understand the physics of a ZTR (I've never owned one, so it's very likely). For most vehicles, pushing snow with an angled blade is easier and more productive than with the blade straight, maybe a ZTR is one of the exceptions to the rule.
yep it's the hydro gear ZT 2800. I'm not too worried after seeing what it could do in the snow yesterday. Granted, no blade on it, but still had the deck on (now, don't yell at me for that, I was just testing and it was all the way up!)

Thanks guys
Reactions: Country1966?
Well, the steering front wheels (instead of casters) may help, that Cub is a lot lighter and a much different weight setup than a Grasshopper (and a pickup truck with a V plow is in a different time zone). Having independent hydro's help with angled plowing, but the outside wheel (away from where the snow being plowed to) needs to have really good traction all the time for it to not get pushed sideways, whereas pushing the snow straight ahead is much more tolerant of individual wheels losing traction.

If the o.p. clears the snow all the time before it gets driven over, so there isn't packed snow/ice, then it should work fine, but I expect he'll notice it sliding if snow/ice does build up and he gets a big dump of snow. It generally won't mean he has to turn around, park it in the garage and get out the walkbehind snowblower, but it will be something he will have to adjust for.
Yes, his weights 680lb and the GH weighs 1000lb without the deck. Also, with my GH the tail wheels were on the back, however with my 900lb Mini Z (With Deck) they were on the front. I always ran chains on it on a gravel drive so I'm not sure how his will workout without chains. I agree that the traction is pretty important to keep that plowing straight.
Well, the steering front wheels (instead of casters) may help, that Cub is a lot lighter and a much different weight setup than a Grasshopper (and a pickup truck with a V plow is in a different time zone). Having independent hydro's help with angled plowing, but the outside wheel (away from where the snow being plowed to) needs to have really good traction all the time for it to not get pushed sideways, whereas pushing the snow straight ahead is much more tolerant of individual wheels losing traction.

If the o.p. clears the snow all the time before it gets driven over, so there isn't packed snow/ice, then it should work fine, but I expect he'll notice it sliding if snow/ice does build up and he gets a big dump of snow. It generally won't mean he has to turn around, park it in the garage and get out the walkbehind snowblower, but it will be something he will have to adjust for.
Plow with the deck on, won't hurt it a bit and you will want the extra weight.
yep it's the hydro gear ZT 2800. I'm not too worried after seeing what it could do in the snow yesterday. Granted, no blade on it, but still had the deck on (now, don't yell at me for that, I was just testing and it was all the way up!)

Thanks guys
Sorry, I never updated this...been awhile. Got my blade and plowed very successfully for 2 winters so far! Got chains for the rear tires too. Didn't have them at first, and probably depending on your terrian, may not need them, but they give you extra strength. Pushes heavy deep snow easily!
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
1 - 16 of 16 Posts