My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a chance to pick up a snow blade and chains for a good price.
I have had trouble tracking down whether this blade will fit on my 2002 LT1000 (917-271653).
The seller bought the blade in 2000 and gave me a model number of 486.24442
This number is one off (last number) from the number of the blade in my 2002 attachment guide. The blade is the 42". The fit up guides posted for 2007 and 2005 (sticky at the top of the Craftsman forum) indicate the blade number is the same for my tractor as well as the model number for the tractor the seller owns. He gave me the model number of his tractor, but I don't have it handy.
Another option is to go look in person and decide for myself if I think it will bolt up. I can't imagine the front end changed that much from 2000 to 2002.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

TIA,
joel

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Joel,

That's a tricky problem to try to eyeball, especially if you don't have the tractor and attachment in the same place to try them out. I bought a snowblower attachment that I thought would work on my Cub tractor and ended up having to get the jigsaw out to make it fit (ouch). Made it work in the end though..

I can't help you with your particular question, but I've seen another guy on here, RBedell, who is an encyclopedia of part numbers and what goes with what. He must have his own library. He's usually in the Cub forum so I don't know if he'd have Craftsman docos but you could PM him and maybe you'd get lucky.

Good luck!

Edit: Just to make you jealous: here's a deal. This isn't me, just stumbled across it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Toolin. I'm stopping by the guy's house this afternoon to take a look at the blade. I did snap some pics of the front end of my tractor and I'll take a look at the front end of his tractor while I'm there. If I'm still not sure I'll measure the mounting holes in his frame and compare to mine when I get home. Hoping this works outs as he offering a pretty good deal for both the blade and chains. Like I said above, when I looked up both of our (tractor) model numbers on the fit up guides, the blade model number is the same for both tractors...we'll see.

Thanks again,

joel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...for anyone that's interested, I ended up buying the snow blade & chains from the craigslist guy.
At first everything looked cool as far as the mounting holes on the front of the tractor. Then, as he pulled more parts out from under his work bench, I saw that there were also two hanger brackets that bolt onto the side of the frame. CRAP...I didn't even think of those!
Well I hemmed and hawwed and looked over his tractor, and looked at the parts that make up the mounting frame, and looked at the blade itself. We shot the shist a little, and I looked over everything again. He finally said "if you get it home and it doesn't fit, just bring it back and I'll give you back you money".
Flash forward an hour or two...I get home and the first thing I do is check the side hanger brackets. ****...they don't quite bolt up as I had hoped. The rear bolt is OK, the two guide bolts also line up, but the front bolt is about 3/4" off. I leave the front bolts (screws actualy) off and bolt everything together per the manual. It goes together well and everything seems to be in order. I then went ahead and drilled a 3/8 hole through the frame where the front hole didn't line up. I used the OEM screws in the new holes. The OEM screws threaded nicely and cinched up the front of the hanger brackets tight.
Now all is well and after some minor adjustments to the unit, it appears to work as intended.
Looking forward to plowing my own driveway this winter!

Attachments

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
[...] I then went ahead and drilled a 3/8 hole through the frame where the front hole didn't line up. I used the OEM screws in the new holes. The OEM screws threaded nicely and cinched up the front of the hanger brackets tight.[...]
Yep, there you go! Only a couple holes away from working? I would have done the same thing (and actually have done, both with my blade and my blower). If you had taken it back, who's to say the next one you tried would be any closer?

Hope it works well for you this winter. Looks like your blade lets you adjust the left-right angle from the seat.. that's handy. My blade requires me to get out of the seat. I guess that's my exercise program.

Thanks for the pics too.. always nice to have a visual to go with the story.:fing32:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well..I was thinking to myself "either drill the new holes and button this thing up or look into ordering the appropriate hanger brackets for my tractor"...but I'm not that patient.
Ya know...the guy claimed he used it a couple of times but when I got everything together I had to make several adjustments to get everything working smoothly. I think maybe he ordered it for a big storm, slapped it together and plowed some snow, then lost interest. His driveway is about 20 X 25.
I haven't checked to see if the chains fit, but his tires looked to be the same size as mine.

As an aside...I am happy that I met this guy. He is in his 60s, retired and is enjoying his golden years with his wife. Unfortunately he has COPD and has to carry oxygen with him, but he got around well. I was there for 30-40 minutes after I paid him just shoooting the breeze and checking out his property, trees. etc... Very good meeting and transaction.

Yep, there you go! Only a couple holes away from working? I would have done the same thing (and actually have done, both with my blade and my blower). If you had taken it back, who's to say the next one you tried would be any closer?

Hope it works well for you this winter. Looks like your blade lets you adjust the left-right angle from the seat.. that's handy. My blade requires me to get out of the seat. I guess that's my exercise program.

Thanks for the pics too.. always nice to have a visual to go with the story.:fing32:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts