My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made a new dolly for my 48" JD snow plow. By itself the plow is very easy to install and take off but moving it around before and after is a bit of a challenge. Years ago I had constructed one for the blade on my GT5000 but this one takes the cake.

With this dolly I can move, install, remove and store the blade without ever having to lift it. In addition the blade can be moved either laying flat on its face or in the plow position. For the x500 blade design I cannot image it being any easier. If I am can still walk at 90 I will still be able to install and remove the blade myself.

To install the blade: Lower the lift mechanism, push the blade into its position in the lift cradle, raise the lift mechanism, retract the blade locking pins, lift off the dolly and remove the JD wheels. Done.

To remove the blade I just reverse the steps.

I made the dolly out of light-weight cedar, all except the bottom 1x3 which is hard maple. Overall dimensions are 49 5/8 x 19 5/8 x 3.

On the bottom inside edge I cut and attached a beveled piece of 3/4 x 1/2 trim to catch the botton of the blade so that only the top needs a bugee to hold it on the blade.

I will have to post pictures in multiple posts.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Snow Blade Dolly (Part 2)

More Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Snow Blade Dolly (Part 3)

Here is how simple the dolly is to hook onto the bottom of the blade, along with a closeup of the lip.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, that looks like some real nice work. Sure beats the **** out of my sawz-all'd 2x4 & harbor freight caster wheel'd cart I made for my snow blower.

Very nice work. :trink39:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Snow Blade Dolly (Part 3)

I have an x500 and just purchased the same 48" blade. However, it didn't come with the operator's manual. I was able to put together the blade hardware no problem, but I'm looking for some tips or info about hooking up the bits that attach to the tractor to raise and lower the plow. I'd be grateful for any help or perhaps even phone pics/scans of the applicable manual pages.

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
I did the exacte same thing for my Berco snowblower head but it is a box. Slip it on and flip it up after disconnecting from tractor. It works wonders!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts