My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Snapper Yard Cruiser that has a left side (as sitting on the mower) transaxle pump issue. The Snapper dealer told me the pump was getting weak. A new pump is over $700. I googled the part number and did not find any used pumps for sale. I frequently check ebay and craigslist. I called a pump business that speciallizes in re-building lawnmower pumps. They told me the consumer model pumps are disposable. Any suggestions to locate a used pump?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Andy. Please keep me appraised on your findings. I've also got a Yard Cruiser (33") that has started acting up. Mine doesn't want to turn to the left, and goes forward very slowly. Any idea what might be the problem?
thanks,
zx32tt
Locust NC

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
You guys, flip it up and check the belt and tensioner. You have to remove the deck to get to it, but its tucked under there pretty good...If its fraid or loose, check the plastic tensioner pulley, they are prone to fail and cause erratic operation.

These units also have a small hydro resevoir on top of each pump housing...should be sealed, but there may be a way to add fluid if it has developed a leak and gone low.

Doing work under these models with the joy stick operation and front deck is not alot of fun, and a tech may have mis-diagnosed a problem, knowing what a daunting task doing work under one of these is.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do what Red said......check the belt and tensioner. I've got a Snapper ZT 1844 and it started turning to the right very slowly as if the left pump or wheel motor was getting weak. I tightened up the spring tensioner on the belt idler pulley and it works fine. I guess the belt has streched a little over time. My guess is that it takes quite a bit of tension on the belt to spin those pumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I checked the belts and everything looks ok to me. The "sealed resevors" have a screw top cap. I couldn't see any oil thru the plastic case. I removed the cap on the one I could access, but couldn't detect any oil. The mower makes a terrible noise just sitting idling. The noise seems to go away when I engage the parking brake. Any suggestions?
zx32tt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I will check the tension pully. I already replaced the belt just in case is had stretched. Keep me in mind if you run across someone parting one out. Thanks again.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
32tt, sounds like you have a leak and are out of fluid...Might try to find a way to add some fluid, what could it hurt? As it is it is useless, if the fluid add works, it might buy some time...if it doesnt, it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are correct. It sounds like it toast already. What sort of oil could I use? ATF ? I'll talk to the local Snapper dealer today, but I don't expect much help.
zx32tt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick update. After more inspection, I found the drive pulley on the rt transaxle loose, and in bad shape. The bad news is, it looks like a real bear to get the transaxle out to reach the pulley.
zx32tt

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a Snapper Yard Cruiser that has a left side (as sitting on the mower) transaxle pump issue. The Snapper dealer told me the pump was getting weak. A new pump is over $700. I googled the part number and did not find any used pumps for sale. I frequently check ebay and craigslist. I called a pump business that speciallizes in re-building lawnmower pumps. They told me the consumer model pumps are disposable. Any suggestions to locate a used pump?
Hey Andy i have two snapper yard cruisers for sale

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Andy. Please keep me appraised on your findings. I've also got a Yard Cruiser (33") that has started acting up. Mine doesn't want to turn to the left, and goes forward very slowly. Any idea what might be the problem?
thanks,
zx32tt
Locust NC
I have 2 Snapper yard cruisers for sale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts