My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how the metal shield is removed so as to remove the spark plug? I wanted to use an induction type hour meter
where the wire is wrapped around the spark plug wire. Looks like not much plug wire is exposed to do that.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
You don't want to remove the metal shield to use an induction type hour meter, as that is to shield the plug wire and boot from engine heat. Instead, you want to wrap the wire around the plug wire elsewhere, even just past where that metal shield is. It just takes a couple wraps for them to work.

As for securing the wire to the plug wire, I find using a cable tie works very well. It stays securely in place during use without damaging either wire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You don't want to remove the metal shield to use an induction type hour meter, as that is to shield the plug wire and boot from engine heat. Instead, you want to wrap the wire around the plug wire elsewhere, even just past where that metal shield is. It just takes a couple wraps for them to work.

As for securing the wire to the plug wire, I find using a cable tie works very well. It stays securely in place during use without damaging either wire.

Thanks for the info, I guess that heat shield just pulls off from the plug like the old school rubber boots did. This is new school to me.
I googled that heat shield and the image shows what looks like a metal shell attached to the rubber sheathed wire above it.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
It just pulls straight off the spark plug (both the metal covering, and the rubber boot inside pull off together).

You may have to cut the cable tie on the engine shroud (or, hopefully you can just pull it off the shroud, and then push it back on afterwards) to get enough slack in the spark plug wire to be able to do it.

And it can be stuck on the spark plug quite firmly, so you want to be careful with how you do it, as you can damage the spark plug wire if you wind up pulling on it once the spark plug boot comes off the spark plug.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just pulls straight off the spark plug (both the metal covering, and the rubber boot inside pull off together).

You may have to cut the cable tie on the engine shroud (or, hopefully you can just pull it off the shroud, and then push it back on afterwards) to get enough slack in the spark plug wire to be able to do it.

And it can be stuck on the spark plug quite firmly, so you want to be careful with how you do it, as you can damage the spark plug wire if you wind up pulling on it once the spark plug boot comes off the spark plug.

Thanks Dave for the info. Appreciate it.
Take care

"Butch"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts