My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First real post here, so go easy on me. I've searched the internet for the last 4 hours and I've downloaded 5 separate manuals for my mower and couldn't find this information anywhere...

I just purchased a Snapper SR928 (280914BE) from a buddy and I'm looking for what kind of lube needs to be used in the chain case. The manual just says to contact a Snapper dealer if this lube is low (pg 10). I would prefer to visit any of a dozen or so auto parts shops around me that are likely closer and less expensive than a real Snapper dealer. I suppose I could experiment a bit with various oil weights or some gear lube, but I really would prefer to use the correct stuff.

Thanks in advance!

--Todd

·
Registered
596 Posts
The ONLY lube recommended is '00' (like double aught) grease. It has a consistency similar to hot chocolate pudding. It's available through Snapper (naturally) & John Deere sells it under the name "Corn Head Grease". I haven't found another source yet. I was told that gear oil will leak like a sieve.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I think Sten's and Rotary sell a version too ,just Google "Snapper 00 grease" you will get lots of hits,E-bay too,but the shipping can be prohibitive so be careful.The chain case only holds 2 OZ. total too much will cause leaks, the transmission holds 24OZ total same caution on overfilling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts