My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a Snapper Model number P217019BV Serial number 200569938.

I have not actually taken a look at it just yet, but was called by a very good friend of mine asking assistance with the self propelled system.

He said the belts are on, but it doesn't operate at all.

Does anyone have a service manual for the mower so I can better follow how to troubleshoot the drive system?

Any help, or suggestions would be great as to what to look for first when troubleshooting the issue. Ive only worked on a couple of these, and that's been about a year or more ago.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've never worked on a Snapper drive system but it should be pretty easy to troubleshoot since the design is simple and all the parts are visible. It sounds like the belt is loose to me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure it will be, i havnt done much repair stuff lately was too cold this winter here.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know one thing its gonna be a huge mess more than likely lol. I doubt its been rinsed off very much

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
The drive system is very simple. If the horizontal disc stops turning when you engage the drive, the belt under the deck is slipping. It could be nothing more than a broken tension spring on the idler pulley. Make sure the pulley grooves are not caked with grass.

If the disc continues to turn, the rubber wheel could be slipping, and that could also be a spring problem, the two springs are the same PN.

Finally, the last issue would be the drive belt to the gearbox, but they typically last a very long time. There is a tension adjustment for that belt, the spring at the bottom of the linkage that tensions it can be telescoped to make it tighter if necessary.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The disc isn't turning when I start the motor. I'm guessing loose belt?

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Yes, probably caused by a broken or missing spring. One end of the spring anchors in the RH lower handle bracket. If it is indeed broken, look for grass in the pulleys. Grass will cause the idler to move erratically, breaking the spring.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Found the problem yesterday. The drive disk had a locked up bearing. My buddy was thrilled. I had him try it after the repair and it about pulled him out of his shoes lol.

Was a pain in the A$$ more than I thought, but its done and over with. Made some good side cash too on the deal :thThumbsU

1 - 8 of 8 Posts