My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I have a snapper RER and I replaced the drive disc wheel because it was worn pretty bad. Now the mower will not move in first gear unless I rock the machine back and forth (sometimes it moves in first if I am on level ground)??? It moves in reverse and in other gears but it is still inconsistent. Do you think this is just an adjustment? If so does anyone know how to adjust (I tried the owners manual but no luck)?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
look here on the snapper section at the disk drive threds, they will help alot, also someone out here has a downloadable service manual for your RER

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
So it was driving in all gears till you changed the driven(rubber) disc?Did the new disc have the "liner in it? they sell the discs without the liner.(don't know why.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,104 Posts
As said above, did it drive in 1st before replacing the rubber tired driven wheel?

Also, check the shifter yoke, the slotted thing under neath that the roller on the end of the Center Chain Case runs back and forth in. It should be pretty well flat, smooth, is there a big worn hole where 1st speed should be?

The shifter bracket on the side of the mower is adjustable. The Driven Wheel should be in the center of the metal Drive Disc when in neutral, loosening the 2 studs and sliding the shifter bracket will adjust so that the Driven Wheel is on the Drive Disc when in 1st speed position.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I was driving the mower then went in reverse and then when I tried to go forward it would not work. I did some research and decided to replace the drive wheel.

I am not sure how to check the yoke? Is that the bracket, where the drive wheel is between, with the gear notches?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which two studs are you referring to?

As said above, did it drive in 1st before replacing the rubber tired driven wheel?

Also, check the shifter yoke, the slotted thing under neath that the roller on the end of the Center Chain Case runs back and forth in. It should be pretty well flat, smooth, is there a big worn hole where 1st speed should be?

The shifter bracket on the side of the mower is adjustable. The Driven Wheel should be in the center of the metal Drive Disc when in neutral, loosening the 2 studs and sliding the shifter bracket will adjust so that the Driven Wheel is on the Drive Disc when in 1st speed position.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Quote: "Which two studs are you referring to?"

Walt is referring to the two bolts or studs that fasten the gear shift lever 'gate' to the side of the mower. It is adjustable in the fore and aft direction. Moving it back and forth as he instructs will insure that the mower "knows" where neutral is, and will put the driven disc in the right spot for 1st ... 5th, and R. So, if your 'gate' was adjusted too far in one direction, or had gotten loose as mine has in the past, you adjust it so the driven disc is in the center of the drive disc.
The driven disc slides back and forth across the face of the drive disc to change gears. Close to the middle would be slow, further from the center would be higher gears. The driven disc and the chain case slide back and forth using the 'bale' with the slot to support the driven disc against the drive disc. There is a slight "Vee" in the neutral position of the bale, which allows the drive disc to rotate with the driven disc not engaged or rubbing against the drive disc. When you step on the clutch/brake pedal, you are lifting the bale to move the driven disc away from the drive disc.
As noted the drive disc can be adjusted up and down on the PTO -power take off - of the engine. There are two setscrews that hold the drive disc in place. You have to loosen both of them to be able to slide the drive disc up or down. The measurement from the bottom of the plate the engine is bolted to is in the range of 3 3/4" to 3 7/8" if memory serves. You can poke around on the site for exact measurements. Perhaps the above links cited by 89YT12 have what you need.
tom

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The RER service manual 07012 "model 6 and later" shows the dimension as 3&13/16 t0 3& 3/4 from the bottom surface to the bottom of the drive disc. Do you have this manual and the parts list for your mower? give the model number and someone will send you one.Model number like 280915 BVE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys

Thanks for the help so far. It is appreciated. My mower model number is 84313. I will look into the gear shifter adjustment and the distance from the bottom of the mower to the top of the drive disc. Do you know what size allen key I need?

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts